Stopwatch Widget/App: Stop and Go

A simple stopwatch with large numbers, dark mode, clock, laps/splits, and GPS activity recording. Keeps running after you close it.

Available as a widget or full device app.

Features

• On-screen prompts for all the essential, non-obvious buttons, like Lap and Reset, so you don't have to read the manual
  • App: Optionally record your laps to an activity so you can look at them later on your watch or Garmin Connect
    • Select activity type (generic, running, walking, training, swimming or cycling)
    • Optionally enable GPS
  • Widget: Start stopwatch instantly from widget front page - just press START. Front page always shows stopwatch, running or not.
  • Large numbers
  • Clock
  • Optional simple mode with just the clock and stopwatch. No laps or recording.
  • Laps
  • Lap time and split total time; either can be bigger/shown in lap list. Switch between laps and splits: hold Down or swipe left
  • Pop-up lap screen: lap number, lap time and total time
    • Take laps, pause timer while looking at lap screen
  • Scroll through your laps while the stopwatch is running
  • Slowest lap is red, fastest lap is green
  • Can exit app without stopping stopwatch or losing laps: hold Back
  • Black or white background
  • Optional tones and vibrations, on start or stop
  • Minimalist design with intuitive controls optimized for your device, whether it has a touchscreen or buttons
  • Full Changelog (Device App version):

5.14 • Add setting for showing milliseconds: auto, never, always

5.13.3 • Use consistent transitions for settings pages

5.12 • Tweak settings names (e.g. "Lap Screen" → "Lap Pop-up")

5.11 • Add option to enable GPS

Add option to select activity type (e.g. generic, running, walking)

Move controls settings to dedicated menu - change text to be more intuitive.

e.g. "Use Long Press" - "On/Off" becomes "Exit (while active)" - "Press UP Twice / Hold Back

5.9 • Support Venu, Venu Sq and D2 Air watches

5.8.1 • Update version in settings menu

5.8 • Support Vivoactive 4, 4S, and Legacy watches

Support Approach S62

Fix Approach S60 crash after saving or discarding recorded activity

Fix certain swipe gestures for Vivoactive (original) and Approach S60

5.7 • Support Fenix 6 (all), Descent MK2

5.6 • UX improvements - simplify some text, clarify settings and ignore long presses when appropriate

5.5 • Add support for MARQ watches. Improve cosmetics for 245/M, 945 and VA3/M watches.

5.4 • Add support for 245, 245 Music, and 945 watches

5.3 • Vivoactive 3: Add optional "Alternate Controls":

Key = Start / Lap

Double-Tap Screen = Stop

5.2 • Fix Fenix 3 (HR) crash when accessing settings with recording enabled.

Disable "long press" button shortcuts. "Hold BACK" is now "double-click UP". For supported watches, long press can be re-enabled in the Settings menu.

4.10 • Add "Record Activity" setting for all watches.

Add "Swipe to Record" setting for touchscreen watches - allows you to disable "Swipe Left to enable/disable recording" gesture

4.9 • Fix frozen clock (time of day) when stopwatch is paused

4.8 • Fix UP, UPx2, and Hold Back behavior under certain circumstances

4.4-4.7 • Settings menu: fix appearance/consistency (especially for older watches), UX issues (especially for touchscreens)

4.3 • Fix controls for 230, 235, 735XT and 920XT. "Hold Back" is now "Double-click UP"

4.2 • Fix problem where seconds sometimes "jumps" by 2 (e.g. from :01 to :03.)

4.1 • Vivoactive (original): Fix "double-tap to switch between laps/splits", which was broken recently

4.0 • Add simple mode, with just the clock, the stopwatch and no laps/recording

3.0 • VA3: add prompts to Swipe Right to go Back (close app), when applicable

2.9.5 • Play tone/vibe on new lap

2.9.4 • VAHR - fix issue where holding ▬ would sometimes do the wrong thing

2.9.2 • Add app version to settings menu, so you can tell if you have the latest version:

Hold UP/Menu

VA3: Long press screen

VA/FR630: Press ☰ (Menu)

VAHR: Hold ▬ (Start)

2.7 • Vivoactive HR: Fix inability to discard recorded activity or close app while stopwatch is running. The gesture is now "swipe right", which is reflected in the prompts.

2.6 • Vivoactive 3: Fix inability to reset stopwatch or save activity. The gesture is "double tap to reset/save", which is now reflected in the onscreen prompts.

2.4.2 • Fix issue with quickly starting a new recording after saving the last one

2.3 • UX improvements: Use less text, and de-emphasize secondary prompts

Better Back button/right swipe handling when paused.

2.1 • Add optional activity recording so you can see review laps on your watch or Garmin Connect afterwards. See below for more details.

1.3 • Fix settings menu navigation for touchscreen watches (especially original Vivoactive). You can scroll settings by tapping, just like built-in menus.

• Full Changelog (Widget version)

5.14 • Add setting for showing milliseconds: auto, never, always

5.13.3 • Use consistent transitions for settings pages

5.12 • Tweak settings names (e.g. "Lap Screen" → "Lap Pop-up")

5.10 • Fix glance mode UX issue for devices which don't support live updates (e.g. FR245 non-music)

Move controls settings to dedicated menu - change text to be more intuitive.

e.g. "Use Long Press" - "On/Off" becomes "Exit (while active)" - "Press UP Twice / Hold Back"

5.9.1 • Fix bug where glance mode always showed split (total) time, instead of respecting your choice of lap/split time

5.9 • Support Venu, Venu Sq and D2 Air watches. Optimize glance performance

5.8.1 • Support Fenix 6 (all), Vivoactive 4/4S, Descent MK2, and Legacy watches

5.6 • UX improvements - simplify some text, clarify settings and ignore long presses when appropriate

5.5 • Add support for MARQ watches. Improve cosmetics for 245/M, 945 and VA3/M watches.

5.4 • Add support for 245, 245 Music, and 945 watches

5.1 • Disable "long press" button shortcuts for all watches. "Hold BACK" is now "double click UP".

For supported watches, long press can be re-enabled in the Settings menu.

4.9 • Fix frozen clock (time of day) when stopwatch is paused
    4.8 • Fix UP, UPx2, and Hold Back behavior under certain circumstances
    4.4-4.7 • Settings menu: fix appearance/consistency (especially for older watches), UX issues (especially for touchscreens)
    4.3 • Fix controls for 230, 235, 735XT and 920XT. "Hold Back" is now "Double-click UP"
    4.2 • Fix problem where seconds sometimes "jumps" by 2 (e.g. from :01 to :03.)
    4.1 • Vivoactive (original): Fix "double-tap to switch between laps/splits", which was broken recently
    4.0 • Add simple mode, with just the clock, the stopwatch and no laps
    3.0 • Fixed VA3 issues. New VA3 controls listed above.
    2.9.5 • Play tone/vibe on new lap

2.9.4 • VAHR - fix issue where holding ▬ would sometimes do the wrong thing
    2.9.2 • Add app version to settings menu, so you can tell if you have the latest version:
    Hold UP/Menu

2.7 • Vivoactive HR: Fix inability to close app while stopwatch is running. The gesture is now "swipe right", which is reflected in the prompts.
    2.6 • Vivoactive 3: Fix inability to reset stopwatch. The gesture is "double tap to reset", which is now reflected in the onscreen prompt.
    2.3 • UX improvements: Use less text, and de-emphasize secondary prompts
    Better Back button/right swipe handling when paused.
    • Reduce memory usage; fix Approach S60 crash when opening settings
    1.3 • Fix settings menu navigation for touchscreen watches (especially original Vivoactive). You can scroll settings by tapping, just like built-in menus.

• I love the app. While I have my VA3M auto-lock in watch mode, I can keep the stop watch active – it's exactly what I needed. Also the track counter, I'll try this out real soon on a track.

I'd just like to place one feature request: To improve battery efficiency, it should be possible to turn of the hundredths of the second during measurement, thus reducing the update frequency down to 1 fps. It might be good to record the hundredths for the lap times (while even that is debatable), but I can't possible imagine why they should flicker during measurement. … Perhaps make it configurable if someone needs that extra stop watch animation. ;-)

Thank you so much for this app and also in advance for considering this.

• I don't know how to save the activity. Because you said that you can save it but I don't know how. Also I dont know how to change the colour. It sais that there are black an whit as a colour. I hope you answer mePray. Otherwise this app is really perfect ...

• You said that you can save the activity but I don't know how. Also I don't know how to change the colour. I only have the timer and the laps but not the options how I could come to the options ??

I hope you will answerPray.

• Hey, you can save the activity by turning on recording before you start the stopwatch. (Unfortunately it's not possible to prompt after the activity is done, like the built-in Garmin apps.)

Recording can be turned on by following the prompts for your device, while the stopwatch is reset:

- For Vivoactive devices (including VA3), swipe left

- For other devices, press Down

You can also turn on Recording by opening the app settings:

Most devices: Hold UP/Menu

The app settings will also allow to set the app color (black or white).

• Hi, 

I've been looking for a solution to this for a while, and I think I'm close with your app! I have a Vivoactive 3, and your app is the only app so far that I've been able to use the main button as the "Lap" button. Which is amazing! The only thing is, I do a lot of faster track workouts, and I'd like to be able to record my warmup and cool down and total track mileage...

Would it be possible to incorporate GPS tracking in the background as an option? I wouldn't need any actual data, just the info so I can upload my run to Strava after to get mileage totals.

If not, are there any apps that you know of that incorporate a remapped "Lap" button with GPS?

• I can take a look at adding this functionality. Thanks for the interest!

• I really like the stopwatch. Much better than anything else I have tried. My issue is that I time short periods of time, and 10th of seconds matter to me. However I need to be able to read the 10th of seconds without my reading glasses. So, I am wondering if there is/would be an option to have all numbers displayed in the larger size? Anyway, congrats on a nice, easy to use, simple app. It works great on my Vivoactive 3.

• I'd just like to place one feature request: To improve battery efficiency, it should be possible to turn of the hundredths of the second during measurement, thus reducing the update frequency down to 1 fps

Sorry for the incredibly late response, but the app is currently hardcoded to hide fractional seconds under the following circumstances:
    - 60 seconds after lap start
    - 10 seconds after the last keypress

It's an idea I stole from the built-in Garmin stopwatch, except I wait a little longer than it does. I guess if you have nothing but short laps, then you won't notice this. But I assume that if battery life is an issue, then this is a fairly long activity and hopefully at least some of those laps will be over 60 seconds.

The reason I want to show fractional seconds at the beginning of laps and after keypresses is so that the user doesn't get the false impression that the stopwatch is only "measuring" with a per-second precision.

The other thing is that I want to avoid having too many options and/or any "unnecessary" options. The goal here is to be as simple as possible.