Watch App: TruFlite Ballistics

This will be the support thread for my watch application: TruFlite Ballistics

TruFlite is an exterior ballistics program for long range shooting. It contains a highly accurate, yet stand alone ballistics engine that is extremely fast. Designed to not rely on connecting with a phone for data input or for calculations.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c8a08648-1344-4dd5-ac3d-6a54b165db5c

I will post release notes here as new versions are released as well as the main application page.

Feel free to post questions, comments, feature requests, or bug reports here or send me an email directly using Contact Developer

Operation:

OK/Select - Calculates a firing solution

UP/Previous - increase range by current range interval setting, default: 25 yards/meters

DOWN/Next - decrease range by current range interval setting

Menu -

Cross Wind - wind speed in mph/kph/mps. To keep input simpler just cross wind, not wind and direction.

Ambient Temp - Farenheit/Celcius, device temperature can be affected by body temperature so it is more accurate to provide one

Muzzle Velocity - launch velocity in fps/mps

BC - change the Ballistic Coefficient and select Drag Curve (G1 or G7). Assumed that BC is ICAO relative.

Sight Height - height of sights in inches/cm

Zero - range (yds/m) at which weapon was zero'd

Units - Allows changing units of any variable between metric or imperial individually.

Options - Change Range Interval and Turn on/off use of external Tempe temperature sensor

About - Get to current version number

Units / Elevation Units - units for Elevation correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

Units / Windage Units - units for Windage correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

When calculating a firing solution, TruFlite uses the current Ambient Barometric Pressure from the device's raw sensor in order to provide the most accurate solution for your current environment. This value is displayed just above the firing solution and will be displayed in green, indicated the value came from a sensor. For slightly older devices that do not allow applications direct access to the raw pressure sensor, the device altitude is used to calculate current pressure. Temperature is manually inputted or retrieved from an external sensor, since the internal temperature sensor of the watch is affected by body temperature and therefore provides an inaccurate ambient temperature.

If you have a Garmin Tempe Temperature sensor and wish to use it with TruFlite, simply follow the standard instructions for pairing the sensor with your garmin device. Once your garmin device has successfully found your Tempe sensor you can go to the TruFlite Option menu and turn the "Tempe Sensor" option "on". In order to conserve battery, the Tempe sensor only transmits temperature readings approximately once per minute. Therefore, when you first turn it on, it could take up to a minute before TruFlite will see a new value from the sensor. If TruFlite sucessfully gets an external temperature value it will be displayed in green, otherwise TruFlite will continue to use the manually provided temperature value, which will be displayed in white. Hitting/tapping OK/Select will cause TruFlite to update all sensor values and the firing solution.

The TruFlite ballistic engine is very fast. No need to pre-calculate any values and should return a firing solution immediately. If you wish to discuss ballistic engine internals feel free to contact me.

Accuracy: TruFlite results have been compared to several defacto standard ballistic engines; such as Applied Ballistics and JBM and is within inches or 0.25moa out beyond 1500 yards for long range cartridges and under various environmental conditions.

• Good morning 

I have entered my info as accurately as possible.

308 @178 grain. 

Bc of .278. 

However at 300 yard i need 5.5 M0A. 

Tru flight report it at 4.75.... anything else i can do to get a more accurate reading. 

[email protected] 

• Hi fantastic app. 

Some things I’ve noticed and one thing I’d like. 

Love the app would like instead of  auto filling in if like to input actual dope I’ve recorded 

I’ve put in all my info FPS measured via chrono and BC from Hornady. Your app said 15plus moa when I know it’s exactly 12 I’ve played with speed an elevation adjustment as low as I can go which is .900 and it’s closer 12.75 instead of 12 so not too bad but just as an aid to get on paper the option to type in my dope would be great. Thanks for the app I appreciate all you guys who take time and make these things 

• Can you provide some more info such as BC, muzzle velocity, range, current Barometric Pressure.  TruFlite has been compared to many other, current, modern ballistic calculators and generates very similar results.   The difference you are seeing is quite large, something is off.  You should be able to generate a accurate trajectory to match your field results.

thanks

jeff

• Thanks Jeff. I think I’m going to start from scratch zero rifle at 100 confirm good etc. It’s too far out something gone wrong somewhere probably just me.  Projectile is 6.5creed 147gr. With superformance average FPS was around 2700 measured through chrono. Range was 600meters. Don’t know pressure of last shoot. 

• Hi Jackson,

did you had a chance to think about the zero offset? Would be quite handy to have it. For example the app Strelok is offering it and I use it now with all my scopes.

>Clicks - Can now select Clicks for Elevation and Windage Units. If selected then asked to provide click precision; e.g. 1/4 >MOA or 1/10 Mils

Could I use also 1/20 Mils? My scope is using 0,05mils per click

• Jackson, any chance that the instinct tactical will support this app in the near future?

• Unfortunately the Instinct devices do not allow installing applications from the Connect IQ store.   This is probably the most common question i get recently, would love to offer it, but can't do to this limitation.

• Any more advanced versions which would take spin drift or coriolis into effect?? 

• In the email notice you asked more than what is showing on the forum thread, so I will repost it here: 

I am having problems.  I am shooting .338 LM  300gr sierra match king bullets bc=.768.  I have my dope cards and calc tables that i have been successfully using to shoot out to 1760 yds ( 1 mile)  .  When i set it up with all of my proven data....i get calculations that are waaay too low.  When i change the bullet profile from G7 ( which smk bullets are) to the G1 option....i am within 1 MOA of where i should be, but thats the wrong profile.   Any ideas whats going on?   The app does not ask for my bullet weight although maybe it doesn't need it with the BC.

Short Answer:   Use a good known G7 ICAO BC:  0.380 G7 BC (ICAO) for Sierra 338 300gr MK

Long Answer:  Two Things:

1. BC is relative to a particular drag curve (e.g. G1, G7, etc).  The BC you have is a G1 BC, therefore you need to tell TruFlite that.  If you tell it that it is a G7 BC then that is one heck of a great G7 BC (hence the low correction).

2.  Bullet companies publish BCs based against one of two environmental standards; ASM (Army Standard Metro) or ICAO (Internationcal Civil Aviation Org.)   TruFlite assumes the BC is relative to ICAO, as it is the more modern standard.   Sierra still publishes against ASM.  To convert, lower the 0.768 by 1.8% = 0.754.  Hence probably while you are still a little off.

You are correct your bullet better matches a G7 profile.  Therefore you should use a G7 BC.   Using a G1 BC does not match how that bullet will shed velocity properly.  Will it be close, sure, but G7 will be better, especially at range.  You will notice Sierra publishes multiple G1 BCs for that bullet.   Because G1 doesn't fit as well.

Jeff