Data Field: Let there be light!

Download: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d...f-e3d836ce710c

This data field is useful for users who go out at night to run:
  • specify to have the backlight always on
  • set the backlight on when it's dark outside (between sunset and sunrise)
In addition it also shows the next sun event (sunrise or sunset)

Just put this data field on one of your data field pages to light up all your pages.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s9.postimg.org\/ufrvqunq3\/1b48e396-32ed-42a3-8e58-1796c376fc21.png"}[/IMG2]
  • Let me share my experience about this data field. First it was a pretty good idea to add it, earlier I had spent substantial times to switch the backlight to auto before night time activities and switch back to manual after them.

My only nag is related to whether I should set "after sunset/before sunrise" or ON.

I tend to use the first option, the reason is why to drain battery daytime, but I make indoor bike training in our dark basement, so ON is better for this app, moreover pool swim also requires the backlight on, even when time is around noon.

I just wonder whether a "Let there be light always" and a "Let the be light in the night" could co-exist. I dont know whether I am the only one who would be happier with the duplication of this data field. Take it just as a feedback.

Speaking about my experience, I observed that sometimes even after saving the activity the backlight stays on (note: Let there be light is added and it is set to ON). That is I am looking at the watchface, no activity is running, but since the last activity was one which includes Let there be light, my watch somehow thinks the app is still running.

I can get rid of the backlight only if I switch to another app, I dont have to start it, just choose it and get out of it with a "back" push.

• My only nag is related to whether I should set "after sunset/before sunrise" or ON.

I tend to use the first option, the reason is why to drain battery daytime, but I make indoor bike training in our dark basement, so ON is better for this app, moreover pool swim also requires the backlight on, even when time is around noon.

I just wonder whether a "Let there be light always" and a "Let the be light in the night" could co-exist. I dont know whether I am the only one who would be happier with the duplication of this data field. Take it just as a feedback.

I'm not a big fan of duplicating fields in the store, but in this case I actually already did by means of integration. I integrated Let There Be Light! (for a part) into All In One : https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/6...4-a111e83d45e3 (it just has the light always on option and a light before time or light after time, due to memory constraints, I could not calculate the sunrise/sunset in that app).

But for your use case this means, you could just use All In One data field in your swim and indoor biking activities and use let there be light in your other activity :)

Speaking about my experience, I observed that sometimes even after saving the activity the backlight stays on (note: Let there be light is added and it is set to ON). That is I am looking at the watchface, no activity is running, but since the last activity was one which includes Let there be light, my watch somehow thinks the app is still running.

I can get rid of the backlight only if I switch to another app, I dont have to start it, just choose it and get out of it with a "back" push.

that's odd, somehow the activity must still be active if the backlight remains on.
    which device do you have?
  • Thx for pointing to All in one.

I have a Fenix 3 HR.

Btw my bet is that the issue may be related to what I do after Save. Whether I simply push Done or check Achievements. In latter case I may push back/back/.... sequence, but I am not sure what my habit is.
  • I don't get it. How do I use this app? How do I set it to turn my light on automatically at night? When I add this as one of my fields, the field just displays "20:25." I have no idea what this means. Thanks.
  • Configuration is done through the application settings https://forums.garmin.com/forum/developers/connect-iq/connect-iq-showcase/115055-how-to-app-settings

By default it displays the next sunevent (sunrise/sunset) And by default it Turns on the light between sunset and sunrise.

• As a feedback the light ON after saving an activity is still a phenomenon sometimes.

A question: gcould your data field control the level of contrast after a development or is it something which cannot be read from the watch settings an re-written it back?
  • I'm not sure what you mean exactly with contrast and what development you imply but the answer is : no, let there be light is of the Class type "simple data field" which does not allow changing colors contrast. I also cant control the level of light. It's either on or off, no in-between...
  • The level of light is called Brightness level in case of Fenix 3 HR.

And sorry I was confused, because the level of light is called Contrast in case of 910XT, which is not an IQ capable watch.
  • Thank you for the app.  I've recently installed but the data field always reads 18:11 on my Edge 520 v13.00.  I've set the data field to "On between sunset and sunrise" in the Garmin Connect app but the back light never comes on.  I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks

• So you are reporting 2 problems then?

- Is 18:11 the sunset time? or is this not the right time for your location?

- have you tried putting the option to always on? does the backlight work then?