Data Field: Peter's (Hi Vis) Pacer

Description
Peter's (Hi Vis) Pacer helps you to ride/run the perfect race.
This is a spinoff project from Peter's (Race) Pacer, while it has many similarities it took me a while to create as it's a completely seperate code base.
It's different in the following ways:
  • high visibility less data is shown on the screen, which means that it is easier to read - eg for people with bad eye sight.
  • it can be used in non-single field mode, this means you can put it on the same page with other datafields of your choice!
  • It's also optimized to run on Edge devices, this means you can just as well use this field to pace your bike races just as your running races....
Adjusting the race distance
In a race when you are next to the race marker press the LAP button, the distance will now be corrected to the nearest lap position - eg 5.08 will correct to 5, 8.8 will correct to 9. After pressing the lap button the distance will be adjusted and all averages will be recalculated against this new distance figure.
When you miss a lap marker do not worry: do not press LAP and go for the next lap marker.
When you press the LAP marker by mistake you can undo the (last) correction by pressing the LAP button again - within a 30 second window

Donations
The data field is fully functional as is, yet donations are encouraged on the watch by an encouragement text.

Download
Download link: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/5...4-e3afdd10eddf
  • Daft question now. Is the pace in min/k or min/mile

it depends. The app follows the settings you have set on your watch for distance units.

• I am a new Hi Vis Pacer user. I have some very basic questions

I have installed the app on my 920xt and the display shows the Ahead-Behind field on top and two 0.00 fields on the bottom.

1. Does the Ahead-Behind field show ahead-behind target pace or target time?

2. How do I enter race-specific information (race distance, target pace, target time)?

3. Do I manage the app with online Garmin Connect or with my iPhone Garmin Connect app?

4. What do the two 0.00 fields on the bottom display?

Thanks

• it shows the amount of time you're behind at the expected race time for the distance covered so far 

use app settings for configuration see 

forums.garmin.com/.../changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store

• Thanks so much for the quick response. I think I got it. Will try on tomorrow's training run.

• Peter, I'm a masters age runner and the high vis race pacer is the bee's knees!  I love the idea of all the data on the regular race pacer, but at my age I simply can't see it.  The high vis pacer solves this and the red/green background is great!  When I'm racing, I just look to see if I'm in the red or in the green and carry on from there.  Thank you so much for a great app! I like it so much, I've donated the full amount for access to all of your apps and suggest others do the same.

• Thanks for the kind words Dana, enjoy the field and the races!

• Basically I'm trying to figure out how the Garmin autolap feature affects the app.

1. When using the app with Garmin's auto lap feature turned on, will the app consider Gamin's auto lap as the same as manually pressing the lap button? It might do an auto lap slightly before the mile marker, then I'll press it again at the actual mile marker, thinking I'm making an adjustment. it'll count as another lap and I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes with my time and distance anymore. Should auto lap be turned off if I plan on using any manual laps? 

2. Similar question. Will adjusting the distance using laps in the app affect what Garmin records as the actual distance? For example. Garmin is set to autolap every 3.1 miles and I want to run 10k. The app is set to my half marathon pace with laps at every mile. When I reach 3.1 miles, the Garmin will autolap, so will this make the app back up to the nearest mile, 3, right? I do another 3.1 and autolap will put the app back to 6 miles. Will Garmin think I ran 6 or 6.2 when I sync it up to my device? Should I always set the app lap distance to the same value as the Garmin autolap distance to avoid conflicts? 

• - you should set the lap size in the app settings equal to the auto lap size otherwise the distance adjustment will not work correctly

- you can leave auto lap enabled, but it might be less confusing if you disable it

- the app does not know the difference between auto lap and manual lap

- the distance is only adjusted on screen. It does not change the recorded distance 

• I tried out the high vis pacer, as I really miss having the virtual pacer feature on my forerunner 35 - I now have a venu and it surprisingly doesn’t have this feature already on the watch. All I want to know is if I’m behind, on or ahead of pace, and I thought this app would be the answer. However, when I tested it out, I set it to a 7:30 min/mile pace, and I was sure to run faster than that, and it showed that I was behind pace the whole time in red. I was completely confused by the time it showed as well (showed up to 1:19:00 behind on my 6 mile run that I completed in 42:58 minutes and was a 7:01 average pace). Any tips or tricks?