Erg IQ

Installation & Configuration

ErgIQ can be installed from the Connect IQ store using the link below. Once installed, a limited set of application settings are available for the user to adjust. These settings as well as the pairing procedure are outlined in the user manual.

Requirements

ErgIQ will connect to a compatible fitness equipment system, the following is currently supported:

• Concept2 Rower/SkiErg with PM5 (Firmware v22.015/156/722 or greater)

Known Issues

This is a BETA and therefore it has some items being worked through. For issues relating to FIT recording, pairing or Garmin Connect, even if they are listed here please report that you have the issue as well. This will help accurately determine the scale of the problem.

• workout metrics are incorrect: distance, calories, stroke count (upgrade PM5 to BETA v22.014 or greater using C2 Utility if your comfortable doing this, otherwise it will be fixed in the next release)
  • Fenix3, FR920XT, and vivoactive HR have issues pairing (see post #4 for temporary workarounds until resolved)
  • vivoactive doesn't save last lap and session data correctly (issue being investigated)
  • Garmin Connect doesn't integrate developer FIT fields using native number mapping for summary, laps, or record fields

Non-Garmin FIT Analysis Sites

ErgIQ takes advantage of the newer defined developer FIT fields. These fields are a new standard that are not currently recognized at all non-Garmin sites. The following sites are known to work but others may work as well, this is not an exhaustive listing:

ErgIQ Reviews or Other Information

• rowingmusings ErgIQ Review - Review
  • Since I recently got a Concept2 Type D, I'd give the ErgIQ app a go. Using a VA3, with latest firmware. The PM5 is also on the latest firmware.

I had my phone and the watch connected at the same time - is this a problem?

(Phone app disconnected/hung after 12 minutes)

Watch kept connection, and registered the right amount of time/km, but seems that my heartrate was not being sent through (although I had put it on 'broadcast on activity' (since my polar HRM seems to have died :/), and the strokes visible on the ap are '84', though in the activity itself it shows as 780 (which seems more correct) - is this one of the limitations?

• Are you using the Concept2 ErgData app connected via Bluetooth, and ErqIQ via ANT+ at the same time?
    Are you using an ANT+ HRM?
    Did you pair the HRM with the PM5?
  • When I was testing this I was using the HR from the VA3 - this didn't come through to the Concept2. I've bought an Ant+ belt meanwhile which works fine (and is probably a lot more accurate)

Garmin VA3 is connected to the Concept2, it shows 'ROW' at the bottom and updates the values as I go. But the strokes still seems way off.
    (I also need to re-pair it each time I want to use it - is this normal?)

For my last activity:
    - Strokes in the main view is 301
    - in the ConnectIQ list the stroke count is at 734.

There is more data not filled in in the 'main' view - like pace information, distance, ... in the ConnectIQ section this all is correct.
  • My stroke data in the non-ConnectIQ activity fields was also different from what was coming from the PM5 via ErqIQ which I noted in a previous post. The CIQ fields are the correct ones.

There is a choice to make between using ErgIQ and using ErgData:
    ErgIQ
    + Very simple to use - just start the activity and it automatically syncs all activities for a session to Garmin Connect
    + Don't need to use phone
    + Lots of data
    + Don't need Concept2 logbook
    - Doesn't put all data into Garmin native data fields due to CIQ limitation

ErgData
    + Syncs with Concept2 logbook which can in turn automatically sync with Garmin Connect
    + Realtime display of additional rowing data on phone
    + Populates Garmin native data fields
    - Not all data visible in Garmin Connect e.g. drag factor
    - Don't get training effect

In my case I don't get training effect in ErgIQ probably because of a fenix 3 limitation so when using ErgData I start a Row Indoor activity on the fenix 3 for my whole rowing session which then gives me training effect independent of the activities. It is then necessary to sync ErgData with the Concept2 logbook at the end of the session or at some subsequent time. There is some duplication of data so I delete the Calories value from the fenix 3 activity when I get the chance. I add gear only to the Concept2 synced activities. I have Gear set up to automatically add my rower to activities of type Other but there is currently a bug in GC so that gear for other is not added. When this is fixed (Garmin has acknowledged the bug) I will have to delete gear from the Rpw Indoor activity. What a mess! But how else to get training effect for the whole session from Garmin Connect? It would be easier to pay for a Training Peaks subscription I agree.
  • Beginner question here. I believe I've followed the instructions in the ErgIQ online pairing info, but the light on the back of the Concept 2 machine (PM5) never comes on. I've waited about a full minute (60 seconds), and never get a pairing request. I have my HRM connected to the watch, and not to the Rowing machine, but I don't know if that matters at this point. Am I doing something wrong? Most likely situation, as I've tried with the rowers in two different gyms, and neither have the light come on on the back of the module on the rower. It DID come on for a brief second on the first one, but I've never seen the light since.
    I start ErgIQ on the watch
    Go into the "turn wireless on"
    Note the number, then press the button "Connect ANT+"
    Nothing happens after that. It's at this point that I look for the little light that never comes on.
    I'm using a Garmin Fenix 5+, FW 6.0, and Polar OH1 worn on lower arm, or upper arm.

Help?
  • Beginner question here. I believe I've followed the instructions in the ErgIQ online pairing info, but the light on the back of the Concept 2 machine (PM5) never comes on. I've waited about a full minute (60 seconds), and never get a pairing request. I have my HRM connected to the watch, and not to the Rowing machine, but I don't know if that matters at this point. Am I doing something wrong? Most likely situation, as I've tried with the rowers in two different gyms, and neither have the light come on on the back of the module on the rower. It DID come on for a brief second on the first one, but I've never seen the light since.
    I start ErgIQ on the watch
    Go into the "turn wireless on"
    Note the number, then press the button "Connect ANT+"
    Nothing happens after that. It's at this point that I look for the little light that never comes on.
    I'm using a Garmin Fenix 5+, FW 6.0, and Polar OH1 worn on lower arm, or upper arm.

Help?

Can you find out what FW the rowing machine monitor is using?
  • Can you find out what FW the rowing machine monitor is using?

I will be going to a different gym today that has just rebuilt their area for Cardio, using all new equipment. I know that they're using Concept 2, PM5 machines, but had forgot the procedure the last time I was there, so will get the particulars today. I will re-read the procedure, and follow it step by step, and we'll see what happens. thanks for the come-back!
  • Can you find out what FW the rowing machine monitor is using?

Update. I went to the "new" gym today, their machines are Firmware version 163, HW version 633, Model D/E
    Followed the instructions, and the monitor came up with a different screen, with two choices for the ANT+, one was for "older Garmin devices", and the other was for "newer Garmin Devices". I chose the newer one, I don't remember the specifics of the ANT+ "type", but the watch almost immediately connected, and I was off to the races. Well, for me, races, for most others, it was like racing turtles, but anyway the app worked great! I paired my Polar OH1 with the Concept 2 rower, not sure if that would be the right way to do it, but everything's showing up in Connect just like it should. Thanks! Really cool app.
  • If you need to update your PM5 firmware, it can be done wirelessly using the Concept2 ErgData app. You need to go into the app settings and make sure that under "General Preferences" "Check firmware on connect" is set to "Yes", then connect the app by turning on Bluetooth on the PM5.
  • If you need to update your PM5 firmware, it can be done wirelessly using the Concept2 ErgData app. You need to go into the app settings and make sure that under "General Preferences" "Check firmware on connect" is set to "Yes", then connect the app by turning on Bluetooth on the PM5.

I kinda thought about that, but don't know what a commercial gym would do if they caught me arbitrarily upgrading the firmware on one of their Rowers... :-)