Erg IQ

Installation & Configuration

ErgIQ can be installed from the Connect IQ store using the link below. Once installed, a limited set of application settings are available for the user to adjust. These settings as well as the pairing procedure are outlined in the user manual.

Requirements

ErgIQ will connect to a compatible fitness equipment system, the following is currently supported:

• Concept2 Rower/SkiErg with PM5 (Firmware v22.015/156/722 or greater)

Known Issues

This is a BETA and therefore it has some items being worked through. For issues relating to FIT recording, pairing or Garmin Connect, even if they are listed here please report that you have the issue as well. This will help accurately determine the scale of the problem.

• workout metrics are incorrect: distance, calories, stroke count (upgrade PM5 to BETA v22.014 or greater using C2 Utility if your comfortable doing this, otherwise it will be fixed in the next release)
  • Fenix3, FR920XT, and vivoactive HR have issues pairing (see post #4 for temporary workarounds until resolved)
  • vivoactive doesn't save last lap and session data correctly (issue being investigated)
  • Garmin Connect doesn't integrate developer FIT fields using native number mapping for summary, laps, or record fields

Non-Garmin FIT Analysis Sites

ErgIQ takes advantage of the newer defined developer FIT fields. These fields are a new standard that are not currently recognized at all non-Garmin sites. The following sites are known to work but others may work as well, this is not an exhaustive listing:

ErgIQ Reviews or Other Information

• rowingmusings ErgIQ Review - Review
  • This app looks absolutely perfect to fill the gap that Garmin have left with Concept2 support. Wonderful that people in the community are picking this need up and developing a solution.

I've just tried 1.0.0-beta9 on my Fenix3 but sadly it isn't pairing. I don't get a pairing screen on the Garmin as expected from the manual. The PM5 shows no devices found. If I add the last 4 digits of the PM5 pairing code into the app settings and sync with the Fenix3 I still don't get anything.

I'd really love for this to work. If I can do anything to help please let me know. If the pairing issues can be sorted out this is the sort of app is one I'd gladly pay for!
  • This app looks absolutely perfect to fill the gap that Garmin have left with Concept2 support. Wonderful that people in the community are picking this need up and developing a solution.

I've just tried 1.0.0-beta9 on my Fenix3 but sadly it isn't pairing. I don't get a pairing screen on the Garmin as expected from the manual. The PM5 shows no devices found. If I add the last 4 digits of the PM5 pairing code into the app settings and sync with the Fenix3 I still don't get anything.

I'd really love for this to work. If I can do anything to help please let me know. If the pairing issues can be sorted out this is the sort of app is one I'd gladly pay for!

First I would like to encourage all users to report their findings (success or failure) here in the forums so myself and Garmin can get a grasp of how things look and the volume of people using it, so thanks for submitting this. I can suggest the following to help get you going, some of these may be more work and not feasible but I'll list them anyways for everyone to see:

• ensure you have the latest PM5 firmware (v22 or BETA v22.014 both available from C2 Utility);
    • remove all ANT sensors from the watch and power cycle, then try again;
    • power cycle the watch before use

The pairing issue is the complaint I will expect to see the most of relating to the application. I use a Fenix device and have a single HR sensor configured and it will pair every 1-4 application loads (if it is going to work it will pair with 10 seconds of the application loading). This is not optimal and a solution is being worked on since you'll want ANT devices paired to use for other activities but depending on your situation might be workable till resolved. Once it is resolved I will post something in the thread. I would recommend not using the pairing ID till you get it pairing and get used to the screen indicator showing it is connected. Thanks for being patient and I'm hopeful all these things will get ironed out.
  • OK, I've got it working now after setting the pairing code to 0 in the settings. I just kept trying till it worked. I did notice that the LED doesn't always flash on the back of the PM5 and even when things are working the PM5 always declares "No device found".

I pulled about 5 strokes to prove that there was some data getting in. The calories/hour field looked reasonable but the "Calories" field from those 5 strokes was listed at 327 - which is about 100 times greater than I'd expected from a few gentle pulls :)

Initial impression once it was working though can be summed up simply "Awesome".
  • OK, I've got it working now after setting the pairing code to 0 in the settings. I just kept trying till it worked. I did notice that the LED doesn't always flash on the back of the PM5 and even when things are working the PM5 always declares "No device found".

I pulled about 5 strokes to prove that there was some data getting in. The calories/hour field looked reasonable but the "Calories" field from those 5 strokes was listed at 327 - which is about 100 times greater than I'd expected from a few gentle pulls :)

Initial impression once it was working though can be summed up simply "Awesome".

I doubled checked to be sure the manual indicates that nothing will show in the device list, so that is normal and expected. I'll check the calorie field and see what is happening, it should be showing correctly. Sounds like you have a pairing plan so go ahead and use it and give some feedback on the Connect piece. I am sure I know what you'll say but I'll let you describe what you like and don't so we have it documented :cool:
  • 21 m Distance
    1.37 m/s Avg Speed
    1.49 m/s Max Speed
    0 bpm Avg Heart Rate
    0 bpm Max Heart Rate
    75 spm Avg Stroke Rate
    120 spm Max Stroke Rate
    257 kCal Calories
    0 PM Version
    0 ErgIQ Version

So kCal and versions are definitely wrong but I'm guessing the versions you were expecting. I didn't have an HR on for that test so I'd expect the HR fields to be zero so that is good.

Distance 0 m
    Connect IQTm
    21 m Distance

Hmm, the two distance fields don't match up. I suspect that isn't news to you. Hopefully joining the two up is going to be possible.
  • 21 m Distance
    257 kCal Calories
    0 PM Version
    0 ErgIQ Version

So kCal and versions are definitely wrong but I'm guessing the versions you were expecting. I didn't have an HR on for that test so I'd expect the HR fields to be zero so that is good.

Distance 0 m
    Connect IQTm
    21 m Distance

Hmm, the two distance fields don't match up. I suspect that isn't news to you. Hopefully joining the two up is going to be possible.

So there are a couple things going on here, the calorie count being wrong and some other data points are corrected by the PM5 BETA FW 22.014 which you can get using the C2 Utility if you are comfortable doing so or you can wait till the new production firmware rolls out. The PM Version & ErgIQ Version are errors in Garmin Connect, the website doesn't show them right and the Garmin Connect Mobile application does show them correctly. The distance issue not matching is a reported issue but I need people as you've done here expressing that they want these types of things working.
  • Heart rate not showing up

Thanks for putting this app together, I spent a lot of time researching how to accomplish this and appreciate that you've built the app to do this. I was able to install the app on my forerunner 235 and successfully pair with my PM5 on erg. However, when I start rowing, the heart rate does not show up, either on the watch, PM5, or on ergdata app. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.
  • Thanks for putting this app together, I spent a lot of time researching how to accomplish this and appreciate that you've built the app to do this. I was able to install the app on my forerunner 235 and successfully pair with my PM5 on erg. However, when I start rowing, the heart rate does not show up, either on the watch, PM5, or on ergdata app. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

The Erg IQ application doesn't send the HR to the PM5. First you need to begin broadcasting your HR by either simply putting on the HR belt or enabling the FR235 to broadcast the wrist based HR. The wrist HR can be enabled following the Garmin guide: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner235/EN-US/GUID-0C4E7DFB-E1C4-4EA8-885B-4DF88B3CD341.html. Once the HR is being broadcast you can follow the Concept2 guide for connecting it to the PM5: http://www.concept2.com/service/heart-rate-equipment/garmin-and-suunto/how-to-use/pairing-chest-belt-pm4-or-pm5. Hope this helps!
  • I just put in a quick 5k to give things a more realistic test than previously. Things worked great.

Couple of observations. On the connect site the Stroke rate graph is correct but in the Stats table the Average and Max SPM values are much higher than I'd expect (close to double). Same goes for the values in the Splits table, both the SPM values are roughly double my expectations.