Erg IQ

Installation & Configuration

ErgIQ can be installed from the Connect IQ store using the link below. Once installed, a limited set of application settings are available for the user to adjust. These settings as well as the pairing procedure are outlined in the user manual.

Requirements

ErgIQ will connect to a compatible fitness equipment system, the following is currently supported:

• Concept2 Rower/SkiErg with PM5 (Firmware v22.015/156/722 or greater)

Known Issues

This is a BETA and therefore it has some items being worked through. For issues relating to FIT recording, pairing or Garmin Connect, even if they are listed here please report that you have the issue as well. This will help accurately determine the scale of the problem.

• workout metrics are incorrect: distance, calories, stroke count (upgrade PM5 to BETA v22.014 or greater using C2 Utility if your comfortable doing this, otherwise it will be fixed in the next release)
  • Fenix3, FR920XT, and vivoactive HR have issues pairing (see post #4 for temporary workarounds until resolved)
  • vivoactive doesn't save last lap and session data correctly (issue being investigated)
  • Garmin Connect doesn't integrate developer FIT fields using native number mapping for summary, laps, or record fields

Non-Garmin FIT Analysis Sites

ErgIQ takes advantage of the newer defined developer FIT fields. These fields are a new standard that are not currently recognized at all non-Garmin sites. The following sites are known to work but others may work as well, this is not an exhaustive listing:

ErgIQ Reviews or Other Information

• rowingmusings ErgIQ Review - Review
  • I have Concept2 E model (purchased last Christmas) with PM5 and the original Garmin Fenix 5 (about 1.5 years old). I've installed, tried, deleted, reinstalled the ErgIQ app and I can't get it to work! It installs properly, but when I press the Garmin button in the upper right to start my rowing session, nothing happens. No red or green indicator at all. just nothing. Suggestions?

If you followed the manual and see the "Row" indicator on the screen it is connected. You don't select any buttons on the watch, it will being recording when the PM5 starts it's workout and stop accordingly, the PM5 controls the watch so you should just need to start rowing.
  • If you followed the manual and see the "Row" indicator on the screen it is connected. You don't select any buttons on the watch, it will being recording when the PM5 starts it's workout and stop accordingly, the PM5 controls the watch so you should just need to start rowing.

That worked, thanks. I've been using the Garmin HRM-TriTm heart rate monitor strap with the C2/PM5 and I like how it displays my HR on the PM5 monitor vs. turning my wrist to see the HR on my watch. I guess I could turn on HRM broadcast on the Fenix 5 and accomplish the same thing..has anyone verified the accuracy of the watch vs. chest strap HR?
  • That worked, thanks. I've been using the Garmin HRM-TriTm heart rate monitor strap with the C2/PM5 and I like how it displays my HR on the PM5 monitor vs. turning my wrist to see the HR on my watch. I guess I could turn on HRM broadcast on the Fenix 5 and accomplish the same thing..has anyone verified the accuracy of the watch vs. chest strap HR?

It is universally accepted that a chest strap with rowing will always give better results than the optical sensor in the watch.
  • This is possible depending on how they are moving the ANT data. If it is standard SMO2 ANT data pages then it should work. You'll need to put in the device ID in user settings and should be easy enough to test. I'll reach out to them and see what I can find out.

Confirmed that ERG IQ works with Humon Hex sensor.
    The only issue is it was difficult to find Humon Hex ANT+ ID that you have to enter in Garmin IQ field ID through Garmin express or Garmin Connect!
    It is not written on the Humon device or on the box nor you can find it in Humon IOs App!

The only way I found is to find the ANT+ID through my FR935 sensor settings despite the sentence in Humon Support "do not connect to the Hex through the Garmin settings screen."
    Once I found the 4 digits Humon Hex ANT+ ID, I entered it in ErgIQ app or fields using Humon IQ via Garmin Connect.
    2 tips :
    - remove the Humon Hex from sensor list in Garmin FR935 Settings once you found the ANT+ ID 4 digits (the sentence above in italic is correct ...)
    - Erg IQ works well with Humon IQ fields with my FR935 and my Edge 520 (however Edge 520 cannot find it as a MO2 sensor so don't try it : I have to reset my Edge 520 that was stuck)

Edge 520 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3137053210
    FR 935 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3137251977
  • Firstly, thanks to the dev for writing ErgIQ - it's absolutely great.

I've got a quick question on ErgIQ Calories.....
    Last 5k row, gave the following calorie counts:
    Garmin Connect: 259C
    Concept2 Log: 300C
    ErgIQ: 512C

Row is here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3205070178

The ErgIQ cal data seems off..... any pointers as to why?

Thanks,

John

Setup:
    - ErgIQ 1.3.4
    - PM5 164 Beta 1
    - D2 Charlie V5.00
    - Chest HRM -> PM5
    - PM5->D2 Charlie via ANT+ (HRM goes HRM->PM5->D2 Charlie)
    - PM5->Bluetooth to Samsung S9 ErgData App
  • - PM5 164 Beta 1

Try PM5 164 Beta 3. I believe there is a calorie count fix in there. Let me know if that resolves it.
  • It is frustating that a fit file can be generated by a 3rd party (e.g. Concept2) that can write directly to the Garmin data fields, yet this cannot be done from a CIQ app. Could this hint at a possible way around the CIQ limitation?
  • It is frustating that a fit file can be generated by a 3rd party (e.g. Concept2) that can write directly to the Garmin data fields, yet this cannot be done from a CIQ app. Could this hint at a possible way around the CIQ limitation?

This is very much dependent on how the files are written In the Concept2 case, they can write directly into the native fields which Garmin accepts for core data because they are in control of the FIT file. In ConnectIQ, the developers are only allowed to write additional data with a map indicating which native field it should replace. This is where things start to go wrong, sites outside Garmin's ecosystem accept this data and use it. Garmin on the other hand has chosen to ignore that data resulting in the significant display issues people have. This is not the only application impacted by this. Sorry I don't have a better answer on how to fix it other than use Concept2's application outside ConnectIQ (which is of course counter to what I would like to see) or use a 3rd party site to review your workout data (Training Peaks or SportTracks). **shrug**
  • lcj2, so I guess the question is - who's the product owner or owner(s) at Garmin we need to start writing holiday cards to for either you to get the support you need, or for you to get the ability to help Garmin overhaul the Indoor Rowing activity on supported devices (if you're so interested)?

Right now the underlying activity on the Fenix is pretty much hot garbage in comparison to this setup (and that garbage interferes with your quality, no less) - ErgIQ is fantastic for data capture, and I like that the watch is at least capturing Training Effect. In an ideal world though, those of us with Firstbeat HRV-based metrics and a R-R supporting heart rate strap should be able to get VO2max, etc, from our rowing work directly from "Indoor Rowing" or your app.

Love the progress, would love to support this getting advanced out here from the cheap seats as much as possible! Thanks again!
  • Confirm that Erg IQ is a very nice tool for data capture.
    After the workout usually I import Fit File with R-R created with Erg IQ to Firstbeat Athlete (with some data manipulations on developer data field) > this gives some "rowing" MET max values (METmax = VO2max/3,5). Generally it is ~30% higher than my "running" MET max values but consistent from workout to workout.