Support Thread for Simple Walk

Store Link: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/028c5a06-48ed-4a5d-9910-236a7ef10ce0

While this may look like a watch face, it's actually an application to to record a simple walk!

While running, the main screen looks very much like a watch face, with all the typical things, but behind it are three additional screens. (swipe or up/down to get to them)

• additional data including Temperature (Tempe required), Pressure (on watches with a baro altimeter), Altitude, Pace, Speed, Calories, and Laps (A-Laps means you are using auto laps! - Default is Auto-Lap each 1 mi or km)
  • a chart of your walk, with dots to indicate your start and each lap mark, as well as current heading
  • "Back to Start" with the direction and distance, your current heading, and current lat/lon

When the app starts, it will waits for GPS, and you'll be told to press start when GPS has a lock. Pressing start again pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

A number of things can be changed by using "settings" in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express, including the bottom like on the main screen. It will show you daily steps, daily cals, daily distance, and on watches that support it, floors and intense minutes.

I want to keep this a simple alternative to Hike/Hike2, so please look at those if you want additional features, as they may already have the feature. (My sig is a link to my other apps)
  • adro-003, as a long time user of simple walk, I think you may be trying to use the wrong tool for the job. If you are trying to use simple walk to record a mixed workout of running and walking, then you may hit a limit in what Garmin connect will display or allow to calculate based on the recorded activity type. For example, I know that Simple walk will display your cadence. It is the same cadence details displayed in the native run application, but it does not show the cadence information in Garmin Connect once the activity is uploaded.

What I have found is if you are planning to do a mixed run/walk workout, it is better to use the native running application and upload it as a run.
  • 1) Using this for the first time on my 645M (V4.20), it got up to 1.99 miles and hung with no buttons working, etc. After rebooting (hold Light in, etc.) it offered to Resume and then started working again. All settings were at their default.

2) The activity was saved as a "Run" instead of a "Walk" like the built-in Walk activity, and I had to go onto Strava to fix it there.

3) Is "Mark floors" the settings that causes an alert at every floor up or down? I was buzzed a half dozen times before I got out of my subdivision. :-)
  • If the watch hung, my guess is a FW problem. When rebooting, it tries to resume with a native app - in this case Run.

For floors I don't have a setting in Simple Walk to disable that right now, but you can use Hike2 - another one of mine.It's got a setting to turn off the floor alerts Before you press start, a long press of "up" gives you a menu with the option to record a walk instead of a hike. SimpleWalk started a scaled down version of Hike2. (so it would work on older devices)

Maybe give that a try.
  • I just checked out the code for SimpleWalk, and there is a setting (an app setting on your phone or with Garmin Express) "Mark Floors" that may do what you want. It stops the alert, but also wont show floors on the chart.
  • If the watch hung, my guess is a FW problem. When rebooting, it tries to resume with a native app - in this case Run.

For floors I don't have a setting in Simple Walk to disable that right now, but you can use Hike2 - another one of mine.It's got a setting to turn off the floor alerts Before you press start, a long press of "up" gives you a menu with the option to record a walk instead of a hike. SimpleWalk started a scaled down version of Hike2. (so it would work on older devices)

Maybe give that a try.

I'll just go with Hike2 since I'll also be using the watch for hiking occasionally and then one app will serve both purposes. And in general I use the Garmin as a sports watch vs. a "fitness device" and don't really have any interest in metrics like steps and floors except out of occasional curiosity. Thanks for the responses.
  • Hi,

When I try to install the app on my  Forerunner 735XT it says I need an update but there is no Garmin update available?

Thanks.

• Sometime with a a new watch, the app store doesn't know you've updated the firmware, and that can also happen at other times.

What often works is to sync your watch with Garmin Express, or re-pair it to your phone.

What version of firmware is on your watch?  (what does it say in "about" on the watch itself)

• Hi Jim, nice app thanks for providing it. Just one thing I've noticed on a 645 watch it (or the watch) sometimes crashes when I've finished a walk & the watch is displaying press back to exit. Easily fixed by holding in the power button to reset it but figured I'd mention it. Doesn't happen every time & haven't been able to figure out what might trigger it.

Cheers,
    John,

• Hello, 

Love the app. But I can't figure out to adjust settings. Not sure where to find the app. I've been in Garmin Connect Mobile and can't find settings on the Simple Walk App. 

Thanks for the help. 

• What device do you have?  On some, the app itself shows up in the list of the nave activites (with run etc) and on other's ir's a bit defferent to access it.