Support Thread for Simple Walk

Store Link: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/028c5a06-48ed-4a5d-9910-236a7ef10ce0

While this may look like a watch face, it's actually an application to to record a simple walk!

While running, the main screen looks very much like a watch face, with all the typical things, but behind it are three additional screens. (swipe or up/down to get to them)

• additional data including Temperature (Tempe required), Pressure (on watches with a baro altimeter), Altitude, Pace, Speed, Calories, and Laps (A-Laps means you are using auto laps! - Default is Auto-Lap each 1 mi or km)
  • a chart of your walk, with dots to indicate your start and each lap mark, as well as current heading
  • "Back to Start" with the direction and distance, your current heading, and current lat/lon

When the app starts, it will waits for GPS, and you'll be told to press start when GPS has a lock. Pressing start again pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

A number of things can be changed by using "settings" in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express, including the bottom like on the main screen. It will show you daily steps, daily cals, daily distance, and on watches that support it, floors and intense minutes.

I want to keep this a simple alternative to Hike/Hike2, so please look at those if you want additional features, as they may already have the feature. (My sig is a link to my other apps)
  • Ok. that's a new one to me! Where are you seeing this? On the Garmin Connect Website or on your phone? If on your phone, Are you Android, iOS or Windows Phone and what version of the app?
  • Ok. that's a new one to me! Where are you seeing this? On the Garmin Connect Website or on your phone? If on your phone, Are you Android, iOS or Windows Phone and what version of the app?

Jim,

It appears like in the picture added, "Saint-Urbain" is my town.
    As you can see the type of activity appears like "SimWalk".
    On both Connect Website and phone it is like this. Phone is under Android 7

I use the last version of the app I think : 0.21.1community.garmin.com/.../1285007.png
  • I do set the name for the session to be 'simwlk", but up until now, it's never been used by Garmin Connect. In fact, I don't even see it myself.

What watch are you using, and which version of firmware?
  • It's a Forerunner 735XT based on 9.10 release.

Maybe you could enable in the parameters the possibility to chose the name of the session.

Also, I tried Hike2 to see how it looks like, and noticed this :
    - Hike is saved as hike and got hike in the session name
    - Walk is saved as Walk but got hike in the session name too

That why in my first post I explained that I wanted to submit an update and not a bug ;)
  • I've not seen this myself, and no one else has mentioned it, and now I need to figure out what to do. (Hike2 is set to return hike2 as the name in the next version for now. It started as my "hike" app and I never changed it to "hike2" in the new version)
  • To me, as I mentionned, it could be a parameter set by default as the app name. :)
  • I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 to which I have just added "Simple Walk". On my Android V7 linked device (Samsung S7 ) the headings display as {"Location" SimWalk } in Garmin Connect on the device and in the Browser. This is confirming the report above with Hike displaying as {"Location" Hike}.
  • What's going on here, is I've been setting the activity name to be this, but I think the newest FW is now actually using that in the recording (it's a bug fix).

Personally, I kinda like it, as I can see what app was used for an activity, but let me suggest this.

In both SimpleWalk (and Hike2), I can add a setting to opt for a generic name, or the app name in the recording?
  • Hi Jim
    I've been using this app for a few weeks and enjoyed it but I have seen one interesting issue (BUG). I often switch to page 2 that shows TIME and DISTANCE as I am transitioning back into running and use this to watch my WALK / RUN changes and distances. Upon returning and syncing to GARMIN connect...I have had several occasions where interstingly the CALORIES and the AEROBIC BENEFIT are minimal - EXAMPLE 5km walk run - most days 500-600 cals and around 3 AEROBIC BENEFIT and good balance in workout zones. Today again Calories after 45 mins with large amount of runs and solid heart rate zones 1003 calories and AEROBIC BENEFIT 1.0. I am wondering if it is happening because I am leaving it often on 2nd page (even though it goes back to Page 1 after a period of time. Nevertheless there's a bug somewhere here. Not really bothered about the CALS...but thought you may want to know - Andrew
  • Those are actually things that are only generated/calculated by the FW, with no involvement of this app. I simply just display the info that the FW provides. So things like calories, I get from the FW and display, and the app has nothing to do with anything like Aerobetic Benifit.

What watch and FW are you using? And this app is only for walking.. When you talk aboyt walk/run, are you using the native app, and not Simple Walk?