WatchApp: Rowing (ergometer (C2, RP3) and on the water data logging - public 'beta' version

For all the rowers who,

• want auto pause so their speed graphs to be readable.
  • want to log more than HR from a erg workout. 

As of today, I uploaded a public "beta" version of my row app. I build it for de Fenix 6,7 vivo 4,5 and Forerunner 265 and 955. 

It has the following features:

• Auto pause on speed. It can be set between a split of 1:50 to 2:59 and will trigger the pause if your speed drop below the set split. If 3:00 is set the auto pause is off.
  • Auto pause on spm. It can be set between 15 to 30 SPM and will trigger the pause if your SPM drop below the set stroke rate. If 14 is set the auto pause is off.
  • Stop rowing detection (not on C2). If no stroke is detected for 4 seconds, the SPM will be set to "null" triggering the auto pause if set above 14 SPM. If not, it will keep recording but won't store SPM data.
  • Auto lap after 500m can be turned on or off.
  • HR zonetracking of recorded activities over 14 days and HR zone 14 day overview.
  • Training modes can be set for heartrate zones, interval on distance or time.

The app can be used on the water and on the erg (RP3 or C2). To use the RP3 the RP3-app should be connected with the USB.

If you have suggestions or encounter problems, use this post. Keep in mind I don’t posses all the watches to test everything. Please be as detailed as possible.

Link to app: Row Autopause | Garmin Connect IQ

• Minor inconvenience to be able to have the data flow correctly to Connect (and get credit on the platform for the effort)

• 1) That numbers are different that could be correct. (See the description of the app).

That depends on your settings. It should correspond to a rp3 setting of 80kg 4x-.

This is because I used formulas that should correspond with a C2 split. (You can adjust the C value tot change it see the app description)

2) Probably partly True. With an custom app it is impossible to use moste of the Garmin connect data fields. An IQ app has different fields Garmin add's if the app maker used those. So in the 'overview' you should only see an mention of connect iq with the logo.

But under 'statistics' you should see:On the bottom: connect iq with the distance and time.

In 'rounds' you should see normal round data (per +-500 is that is set)

And in the graphs you should (scroll down)

see graph with the iq logo with:(for every stroke)

strokes per minuut, distance per stroke, and split. (In seconds because its impossible to use a time format as y-ax value.

So all connect IQ additions are labels with IQ

• Perfect. Just a little math to add the distance overall (and not skew the split). Thanks a tonne for the app, Collin!

• The distance should correspond to the split. Is calculated from that. But the app is often one stroke delayed (because of auto pause) and the last is often not recorded because there is no new stroke to do the calculation. So the difference for me is max 50m between the rp3 app and Garmin. (Mostly because of the auto pause and the first strokes beeing to slow)

If you ment to manually add it in the Garmin connect overview. You could see the recorded overall distance in statistics.

• Yep. Working very well for me. Thanks a tonne for the app and the help.

• Howdy, Collin:

Sorry to bug again. Seems I am challenged to get the watch to record the meters from the machine. Despite seeing the BT symbol and the face otherwise being grey, the sessions seem to be recording as on-water: GPS is on and "tracked"; distance is counted as moving distance (meaning a good bit shorter of a duration than actual). Not sure what I am doing incorrectly. I choose Row Type / Ergo. Can't tell if BT actually connects or no, but the BT symbol goes away. Press the start button. Off I go...

• That is correct if you see split and distance it's working.

(To make a bit of a joke but also a serious note. The GPS is not that accurate and secondly while ergoing your not moving kilometers) so it must work.

There is a big difference between C2 that uses a standardized way to communicate al kinds of data and the RP3 does not.

To get split, spm and distance from the RP3 it needs a second catch to calculate (from the flywheel data) previous stroke. So you end up always missing 1 stroke. If you make 3 strokes it can only calculate the first 2. For the 3th it needs a fourth one.

A second discrepancy can occur because of auto pause settings. (Also on the C2 but the C2 updates the distance values shared via ble so you see a distance jump)

For example if set auto pause at 2:30 and you row 2:45 for 2k and then sprint for 500m you only record the part faster than 2:30.

The same is true for the SPM. 

To give you an idea because of my auto pause I miss around 60m at the start.