WatchApp: Rowing (ergometer (C2, RP3) and on the water data logging - public 'beta' version

For all the rowers who,

• want auto pause so their speed graphs to be readable.
  • want to log more than HR from a erg workout. 

As of today, I uploaded a public "beta" version of my row app. I build it for de Fenix 6,7 vivo 4,5 and Forerunner 265 and 955. 

It has the following features:

• Auto pause on speed. It can be set between a split of 1:50 to 2:59 and will trigger the pause if your speed drop below the set split. If 3:00 is set the auto pause is off.
  • Auto pause on spm. It can be set between 15 to 30 SPM and will trigger the pause if your SPM drop below the set stroke rate. If 14 is set the auto pause is off.
  • Stop rowing detection (not on C2). If no stroke is detected for 4 seconds, the SPM will be set to "null" triggering the auto pause if set above 14 SPM. If not, it will keep recording but won't store SPM data.
  • Auto lap after 500m can be turned on or off.
  • HR zonetracking of recorded activities over 14 days and HR zone 14 day overview.
  • Training modes can be set for heartrate zones, interval on distance or time.

The app can be used on the water and on the erg (RP3 or C2). To use the RP3 the RP3-app should be connected with the USB.

If you have suggestions or encounter problems, use this post. Keep in mind I don’t posses all the watches to test everything. Please be as detailed as possible.

Link to app: Row Autopause | Garmin Connect IQ

• Update: within a few days the following update will be made.
    added: settings menu to change acceleration limit for the stroke detection. Normal 1200. This to change the sensitivity to best fit your wrist movement during te stoke. If you have noise than a higher setting is better. If the strokes are not recorded a lower setting coud help.

added: settings menu to change RP3 c - factor used to calculate de speed s = θ(k/c)^1/3. Normal 2.80 as C2 according to
    source: http://eodg.atm.ox.ac.uk/user/dudhia/rowing/physics/ergometer.html. If you change you change boat-type, weight ect. this factor is changed. To make the Garmin data the same this is now adjustable.

• Afternoon, Collin! Thanks much for the work on this app. Finally finished refurbing an not-so-gently-used RP3. In that process, I added a wireless sensor (from RP3) so that I could simultaneously record the session on my 955. The watch can see the sensor (which works perfectly for other apps). However, the sensor seems to not be reporting power (it actually reports 0 for power, per other bluetooth scanning apps). That "no power" report causes an alert to repeat on the watch every few seconds or so. I therefore cannot use the watch for the session (or even test it to see if it can record the power and cadence from the sensor on the machine). I also cannot get to the sensor list to see if I can turn off a power alert for this particular power/cadence sensor. Any workaround?

I see that you noted, "To use the RP3 the RP3-app should be connected with the USB." That's the way I have it set up (perhaps you have it this way because the sensor seems only to connect to one device at a time?)

• I need a bit more information.

What type of rp3 do you have? By other apps you mean the RP3 app? 

Can you connect it with rfnConnect? And see the what the device name is for me (uuid 0x2A00)

Does the app give an orange ring during the scanning for a bluetooth device? And stop scanning (the blue icon is removed from the screen). If so it finds an RP3 or C2.

You need to wait on the orange ring before pressing start. And get the blue ring.

Do you press the start button and get the blue ring in the screen?

If not it should only record HR and SPM. And ignore split (I'll look into that I see that error now). To check if you set the auto pause spm to 14 and split to 3:00 it should stop the buggy (flikkering ring). edit (fixed in v0.006)

But if you have this this means your bluetooth is not connected. 

And yes the rp3 can only connect over Bluetooth with one device (and needs power). So if you also use a tablet this needs to be connected and in devices (in the rp3app) be on the usb.

Do you have access to a C2 PM5 tot test and see how the bluetooth behaviour of the app is? To eliminate the rp3 as cause.

• Type: Model S. Not the "current" version, but I believe the one just prior.

"Other" apps: RP3 app and EXR.

App can't get past the sensor alert (from the Forerunner 955) that says, "Cadence/Power sensor battery low." That alert pops to the front of the watch every three seconds or so until I jump out of whatever app (e.g., the watch's "indoor row" activity or your app) requested the connection.

Not a problem of your app, but a challenge from the watch platform. BT is connected, the watch just can't get past the "low battery" signal. Spent some time chatting with the Garmin folks this morning (always super attentive and helpful...kudos to the Garmin team!) and the scenario proved a bit of a stumper (and probably too narrow of a problem for anyone to worry about on their side). Then I recalled your app and figured I'd reach out to see if you somehow ran into this issue when connecting to an RP3.

BTW...that's how I have the RP3 set up: Tablet connected via USB to the sensor (though the sensor works via BT with the RP3 and EXR apps). I, in turn, attempt to connect to the watch (either via the Garmin indoor row activity or your app) and fail as a result of the battery warning (the upshot being I can't even determine if the app is receiving any other data from the sensor).

The hope is that I might be able to disable the low battery warning in order to see if either the activity or your app is seeing any rowing data from the sensor.

• Edited: Aah, oké now it's getting more clear to me. Did you set up a Bluetooth connection elsewhere in the watch? (Under sensors for example)

I have looked in the rNFConnect app and my RP and see indeed the 0% battery in uuid 0x2A19 

But it's a bit strange to me is that in my app and connection protocol that uuid is not used. So my assumption is that the problem is elsewhere. 

Only for my HR monitor I get this message and this one i have set up under sensors in the watch.

So my guess is the solution is to remove the RP3/bluetooth connection in your sensors list. Please confirm if this worked (for others reading this in the future).

• Apologies, Collin. Replied to the e-mail with the following, not knowing that the response would not show up here:

Yes. Same issue occurs when connecting via the Garmin indoor rowing app. I did not have this issue with my C2 and this watch.
    Interesting find re: the battery check from the 955, vs the Fenix.
    Please let me know if you’d like me to test any other scenarios.
  • If I delete the sensor, though, how does the watch then connect to the RP3?

• My app does that for you.

Start the app. (Shows normally blue numbers = on the water mode. Starts with the last used row type) (first picture in the app store)

To change it to ergo:

Push down an the menu opens (Picture 4). Select row type. Toggle the type to ergo.

Push back (two times) to exit the type change screen and then the menu screen.

The numbers should be gray (ergo mode) and you should see a Bluetooth logo in the middle. (Picture 2). It automatically starts searching for a c2 or rp3.

Wait till you get the orange ring and the logo disappears (meaning Bluetooth connected).  Now your ergometer is connected and the data is usable by your watch.

Push start and a blue ring appears meaning the session/ recording is started. 

• Ps. For my app the C2 is also not needed to be in the sensors list. This could maybe even make life harder because my app is probably not able to connect again or automatically see one is already connected to the watch.

• Got it. Made a little attempt just now. Worked! Except...

1) meters and pace were well off the RP3 app (further and faster on the watch). Likely the RP3 rate setting in your app that I need to adjust to whatever the RP3 is maintaining

2) the session in Connect shows no data. Just the number of strokes. So while the watch seemed to be gathering information, those data did not make their way to Connect