App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • This app is so useful. Thank you for taking the time to develop it. Is there any chance you could make the distance figure stand out more though? I love the way the pace stands out - it would be great if distance could be selected to replace speed for example (as pace is already there) or simply stood out in bold in its original existing location? BTW I really like the addition screens in this latest version. Many thanks, Melanie
  • I'm looking at a change where the distance would stay in the same place, but will be larger. (I don't want to remove speed, as some folks may prefer that over pace) In order to do this, I have to make the time of day smaller.

Let me think about this for a while, as I like the larger time.. (this change would only impact the 735 though, as I display the distance larger on the va-hr already)
  • Hike2 version 2.02 - Support for the Edge 520!

For the va-hr and fr735 there are some minor cosmetic changes. The main change here is support for the Edge 520!

There are some difference with how Hike2 works on the 520.

• Since it's not a "step tracker", things like steps and cadence aren't displayed.
    • No Tempe is needed with the 520. Hike will use the internal temperature sensor on the 520.
    • Currently, there is no way for Hike2 to access the maps or waypoints on the 520, so it uses the "chart" page like the va-hr and 735
    • There is a firmware issue (7.10) where things that are changed on the watch aren't saved (walk vs hike, background color, saving waypoints), so users will have to swicth to "walk" each time if that's what's desired
    • Be care when paused! With the Edge 520, if the recording is paused more than a few minutes, the device goes into "power savings" mode and turned itself off, and if you then power back on, you are in the native "ride" app (you can save/discard your hike though).
    • The buttons are: (left) up/down to change screens, (right) top press, "start", top long press "menu", bottom "lap"/"back". The buttons along the bottom aren't used.

One more I've found... When you have a menu displayed (such as "resume"/"save"/"discard") don't press "start" (the button on the bottom-right). Hike2 is terminated and a "ride" is started.... I've reported this one to Garmin, like a few other things in the new list.
  • Great app!

Great app! With the updated version, I can't figure out how to change the default 'hike' setting to 'walk'? Long press for 'menu' does not work on the initial screen. I'm using it on a 735xt.
  • Great app! With the updated version, I can't figure out how to change the default 'hike' setting to 'walk'? Long press for 'menu' does not work on the initial screen. I'm using it on a 735xt.

Never mind, I figured it out. To get to the menu screen within the app, long press on the up-arrow on the lower left of the 735xt.
  • Never mind, I figured it out. To get to the menu screen within the app, long press on the up-arrow on the lower left of the 735xt.

Yes, long press of "up" is "menu" on a 735. on the va-hr, it's a long press of "start" (bottom right).
  • Thank you so much for making the distance a bit larger - it is now utterly perfect!
  • Laps

I would like to track activity for every km/mile. Is that possible?
  • This app doesn't do "auto laps", but when you add a waypoint, it actually adds a lap mark to the recording, so you can see the data per lap in Garmin Connect. You could just do a waypoint each mile/km.

Auto-lap has been requested a few times, so it's on my list to think about for the future.
  • Auto-Lap

This app doesn't do "auto laps", but when you add a waypoint, it actually adds a lap mark to the recording, so you can see the data per lap in Garmin Connect. You could just do a waypoint each mile/km.

Auto-lap has been requested a few times, so it's on my list to think about for the future.

Auto-lap would be the great option to have. Please include in your future update. Thanks.