App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • Ditto jim_m_58.  Key words wait outside. As I gather stuff inside I start app.  I go outside to adjust my gear. As I wait for watch to vibrate. I press the start button on my v4. Don’t even look at the screen any more at the start.  

• Looking forward to trying this over the weekend. 

The link for the original version has been moved to here forums.garmin.com/.../app-hiking

• Installed this on my Vivioactive 4 on which, remarkably, Garmin did not include a hiking app, closest was the Walk app which I had been using. This App is great, BUT I can only give it 3 stars because I cannot customize the setting (by clicking on the three dots). I tried to eliminate the many fields that I do not use and change a couple of other settings. When I tried to Save these settings, I repeatedly got a message, "cannot save at this time." I tried this several times w/o success. I would rate this App five stars if this is fixed and buy the developer "a cold drink" or two. Help!! 

UPDATE: I was able to save the settings with the Garmin App on my phone. Would not work on my Apple desktop. Up the rating to 4.5 stars. Would be 5 stars with a "return to start" function (arrow and distance) as on the "Walk" Garmin app on the watch.

• On my forerunner 55 it says this —>GPS Q: None “menu” for startup options. I don’t know what that means and I don’t know what to do to use the app

• That's GPQ Quality, with "none" being you don't have GPS.  Make sure you are outside under open sky.  And try a native activity to see if it can get GPS..

Sometimes it can take a minute or more to get GPS.

• Two days ago my wife using her Vivoactive 4S used the “walk” function for our hike. She did not have the Hike2+ installed. Her distance reading for the hike totalled 4.59 km. I used the Hike2+ app and got 6.0 km. Today I used the “walk” function on my Vivoactive 4 and got 4.6 km. She used the Hike2+ and got 4.6 km. Same hike, same time, different results. I drove the distance with my truck and it registered 4.6 km.

I don’t know why the difference, there doesn’t appear to be any settings in either my watch or the Hike2+ app that would cause this problem.

I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. The distance was overstated when I started the return. I switched to the Garmin “walk” mode on the return. The walk mode showed the correct amount of distance.

Any hints?

• It uses the distance the FW calculates based on GPS.  And dome days, the GPS data may be better than others.  If you look that one one that shows 6.0 using Garmin Connect, I'll be the track shown is a bit flakey

• Since we both hiked the same trail at the same time, and we both initiated our watches to the satellites at the same time, I suspect the problem is deeper than you suggest.

• What do you see in the tracks for both in Garmin Connect?  With the older GPS devices, there can be differences id one watch is worn on the right wrist and one worn of the left.  

I don't calculate distance.  That's done by the firmware,  Check "about" on both devices and make sure both are running the same firmware and GPS versions,

• Something that may be involved is the GPS mode used by the app.  If you long press the lower button before you start recording, you get a menu.  Check the "GPS Mode".  You may find that "GPS+GLONASS "works better for you than "GPS Only"