Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hi,

Can we make, somehow, those buttons to change the smartlight application mode?

Unfortunately Connect IQ does not provide an API for the hidden hood buttons that I could use. In theory I could implement a custom API which would connect to the buttons following the ANT+ specification for remote control profile, but this would mean that you wouldn't be able to pair it by using Garmin Sensor menu anymore as only one ANT connection can be established to an ANT device from Edge. So in short, either Smart Bike Lights would be able to control what the buttons do or the native Garmin widget. If you would use the buttons to only control lights, then that could be implemented, but if you want at the same time preserve the current functionality (having the native widget), that is not possible.

• With the newly released version 0.22.1 the following features were added:
    - Added app settings editor (only for Edge touchscreen devices and devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
    - Added trim leading configuration spaces

The app settings editor was added in order to avoid using Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile when wanting to change the current configuration. For Edge touchscreen devices the app settings editor can be opened only when the data field is set to a 1 Field layout. To open the app settings editor it is required to tap three times the "Off" button or in case the light network is not formed or an error is displayed, tap once anywhere on the screen to open the editor.

Because within a data field application it is not possible to swipe up/down, a bottom bar is added with up/down arrows to navigate through menu items in case they don't fit the screen.

For other devices the app setting editor can be reached by using the data field on-device settings view.

I wanted to add the ability to control the light modes and control modes (Smart, Manual, Network) by using Garmin Varia Remote or Bontrager Transmitr, but unfortunately it is currently not possible due to a restriction in CIQ api. In case you would like to see such feature, consider upvoting the following feature request:
    https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/allow-creating-master-channels-on-ant-network 

• Greeting!
    I'm just going to use "Smart Bike Lights" because I bought a varia 511 on eBay yesterday!
    Due to German laws, Varia 511 it does not have a flash ...

Is it possible to add the ON + OFF + REPEAT function ?

EXAMPLE:

Bike Radar Threat> None
    ON 1 sec
    OFF 1 sec
    REPEAT 5

This would flash 5 times in 10 sec, on a model that does not have a flash

OR

IF BRAKE
    ON 2 sec
    OFF 1 sec
    REPEAT 3

... it might be interesting for those with built-in flash to create a different mode

Sorry for the bad English ....

• Hi,

currently Smart Bike Lights does not support repeating two or more modes in a loop. Such thing could be added, but I don't think it will work with such a small delay (e.g. 1 sec OFF 1 sec ON), because it takes 2-3 seconds from sending the message to the light to set the light mode and to receive a response from the light that the light mode was changed. I will try to do some experiments when I will have some time and report back with the results.

• Thank you very much!
    Another small request:
    I know the Edge 130 only has 32kb of memory.
    Could it enable radar provided only one (rear) light is configured?
    Maybe as SmartLight # 3 - Rear light configurator for 32kb devices ...
    The rear light is more interesting (Radar, Brake, ..)

I have - edge 1030 bontrager for recumbent bike

and

edge 130 for MTB

:)

• Hello all.

I'd like the radar light to turn on when the timer is active and a vehicle is approaching. Unfortunately, this does not work with my following configuration.

2,1!Radar:2I]0]0H]2#0,73413136#1,1!:1:7:0:0D=1#0,73535488#1,1!:1:7:0:0D=1#7,6:Varia 800!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:2!1,Medium:3!1,Low:4!1,Night Flash:6!1,Day Flash:7#6,5:Varia 715!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#B3843#4#11#0#0

The latest 1040 v12.15 and CIQ is installed. The Edge is set up as described (Light Beam Activated). Via the data screen I can switch the lights manually, but unfortunately the radar does not start to flash in smart mode with the filters set up.

What is wrong here? Btw. must the front light also be on?

Thanks
    Patric

• Try this config string. It's for the RTL510 but you could probably get it to work on the 715. You will have to add your UT800 config to it

###0,73404416#3,2!ON:2:7:1H]1I]-1]0!:1:0:1D=1##5,5:Varia 510!1,:-1!1,OFF:0!1,DAY FLASH:7!1,NIGHT FLASH:6!1,SOLID:4#0::#0:0#B2713##2#0#0

• Hi hotdogpartysausage.

Thank you for your template. I've taken this as a basis and adapted it accordingly. Now it seems to work!

I'll take a ride after work and check it out.

BR
    Patric

#0,73413136#1,1!:1:0:0:0D=1#0,73535488#3,2!Radar:2:7:1:0H]1I]-1]0!:1:0:0:0D=1#7,6:Varia 800!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:2!1,Medium:3!1,Low:4!1,Night Flash:6!1,Day Flash:7#6,5:Varia 715!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#B3843#4#11#0#0

• In the past I did check whether the radar filter could be added for 32kb devices, but at the end I found out that the radar api can take up to 2kb memory, which produced an OutOfMemory exception when two lights were paired. I will check again if it would be possible to allow the radar filter, when only one light is paired.

• Hi,

What is wrong here?

The configuration is fine in case you want to turn both lights on only when a vehicle is approaching you and the timer is not running (not paused). Based on both configurations, I would assume that the first one "didn't work" because the timer was paused. If you would to change the timer filter to "Timer > Recording stopped" (as it is in the second configuration) then it would turn both lights on, even if you are not moving.

Btw. must the front light also be on?

If you want only the Varia to turn on when a vehicle is approaching you, then the second configuration that you provided is correct, because the filter is defined on the light level and not globally.