Watchface: Digital for TactixD and Digital for TactixD v2 Beta

This is forum to streamline questions processing, feature requests, bug reporting and general discussion regarding
Digital for TactixD face: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d4fbcc93-5e5e-4030-8278-2bd8463921db
Digital for TactixD v2 Beta: apps.garmin.com/.../15c35159-bae3-4c12-8539-5305ccd1b933

Idea behind this face is that the best face is the one which is set exactly as i want it.

*** IMPORTANT: Always include your email if you are contacting me using Contact Developer form. Without it i cannot contact you back as form will come with [email protected] as a sender address.

Q&A:

Why there are so many settings available? It is hard to navigate through them:
Sending watchface user defined parameters such as color, font and screen placement through app settings seems to be the only available option at this moment. Amount of settings is a tax for having many objects available. During time i've found out  there are also problems and limitations coming with amount of settings, therefore version 2 is being in development where at least some of the fields configuration will be simplified.

Why are my settings changes not reflected on WatchFace ?
It seems this issue is tied to Garmin CIQ app which is not able handle huge amount of settings properly. When settings are done through Android/iOS Garmin Mobile app all should work as expected.

Will be there Weather details available ?
Yes, weather is in progress and will be included in v2 version. Currently testing various weather providers APIs and fighting with best details visualization on the screen.

Why is my language not supported i see only squares instead of characters ?
During short life time of this face 26 custom fonts have been already requested and implemented. Fonts consume a lot of available resources, therefore characters are limited to the absolute minimum => english characters and numbers only. Languages with 'special' characters such as czech, russian, japanese etc. cannot be supported until more resources will be available to watch faces. Toggle button "Force English Day/Month Name" to force most exposed fields to english has been implemented instead.

Will more features be implemented ?
Yes, i am adding more features based on incoming requests. Priority is usually set by amount of requests.

• Have you deleted app before and installed oncemore from garmin express? 

• I’m on iOS, so the two options are Garmin Connect, and Connect IQ (both allow you to config faces). Both apps result in the same random reset to default.

This is some kind of serialization issue with the state of the face and Garmin servers. (I think the author of the app knows this already). 

• Try to do it on Windows pc, with wire connected watch and garmin express installed. Cheers

• Great watch face! Been trying to find the perfect one and this is it. A few things I’ve found on my Fenix 5 with public beta. 

1. Military time doesn’t work. Have tried turning it on and off, also taking leading zeros on and off. This has caused a crash a few times, though not sure what combination caused it. Maybe there is a work around I missed, as I’ve seen pics of faces in military time. 

2. Sunset and Sunrise times are in military time, which I like, but they have an AM and PM which doesn’t turn off when getting rid of AM/PM on large watch. 

Will let you know if anything else pops up. 

• I think there are two types of issue, one will be memory related - the only fix for that is that i will find way how to decrease memory consumption during setting changes even more. Garmin does not make it easier with their sub-optimal way of treating settings.
    Second issue is most likely Garmin bugs when settings values are coming incorrectly from Garmin. Especially, but not exclusively, when CIQStore app is used. I've never worked with iOS devices but i am aware of few additional issues there.

Also i still don't know scale of the issue. Beta app has close to 2K downloads now while there are only "few" brave and patient ones who keep reporting issues and testing extensively. Thank's a lot to all of you.

This is my dilemma. I can try put back to the app all validations and data manipulation which are required (because Garmin is not able fix their bad design for years) and which i intentionally removed to save the memory. It will result in following pros and cons:
    Pros: Most likely no crashes
    Cons:
    - All workarounds will consume lot of precious memory, meaning i will not be able add single additional feature (potentially i will need to remove some of the current ones just to not run out of the memory)
    - In addition It is still workaround when i will have to force some value in cases when value does not come from Garmin correctly. In effect affected users will perceive it as a failing attempt to change settings.

Now what is better ? ..rhetorical question

At the moment i am still decided to explore whether all those things can be "worked around" some creative and stable way.

• Tomulli,

As for me, a have found the way to fix all issues, just use windows pc, watch and cable. Current beta is perfect for me, and i dont want to loose any customizing possibilities. My opinion, you must go further, no backwards.

Maybe my positive experience with windows app will help you to find right way. So far i see, in my case, it was Android app problem only.

P.S. Important:

As far as i have connected watch to PC, a lot of maps and gps updates were done( it lasts approx. 1 hour) . Maybe it also matters.

Garmin Tactix Delta

• Lol, ewwwwww!! Is this 2005?

I’m kidding.. I’ll try that. thx for the tip

one thing to add: I *may* have had an older build of the V2 beta face. (I’m unclear if Garmin auto-updates these or not). Anyway, I deleted my copy of the face and reinstalled it. So far, I haven’t seen the “reset” behavior when configuring with the Connect app on iOS. (Haven’t done any extensive testing .. but it hasn’t happened yet).

• It matters, through PC app Garmin updates not only basic software, but also features like gps , maps and so on. I had new 9.00 software. But i wondered, plenty of downloads and updates were made through the cable. And maybe because of that now my watch normally accepts the last watchface release.

• anyway, i am happy to get no more bugs . I was testing settings across the app during 48 hours, sleeping 3 hours only at night. But finally i catched method, that works.

• By the way, using weather update 20 min interval doesnt drain battery. And its also perfect for such "heavy" watchface app.

I am still on 97 percent