Watchface: M2

This is the support thread for the M2 watchface:

has created a Facebook group for designs here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/423319952037948

And this PDF files contains a quick visual index to the designs posted in this thread: >>>    ForumProfiles1.pdf    <<<

To create your own design or modify one, install & use the M2 Designer app on your watch. These are the steps you would go through:

• Optionally paste a text code into the "Profile Text" setting of M2 Designer & save the settings, or load one of your previously saved designs (either via the settings or the in-app menu).
  • Run the M2 Designer app (found underneath your activities list) and create your design.
  • Once you've finished, open the Garmin settings for M2 Designer.
  • The text code in "Profile Text" will now represent whatever your design looks like, so copy the text code from "Profile Text" - and be careful to select the whole text.
  • Close the settings for M2 Designer.
  • Open the Garmin settings for M2 (watchface) instead.
  • Delete any text that was already in "Profile Text" - this step helps to avoid potential problems
  • Paste the text code into "Profile Text".
  • Save the settings.
  • Now when you view the M2 watchface it will show your changes.

A guide for accessing the Garmin settings is here: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/w/wiki/14/changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store.

Profile text for the default display = 01Ys2525111WDPO1011WwWO020Vc121VZ11WwXw03X7C11WwVd035C13NC13XDC19010000

------------------

Notes on 12-hour and 24-hour display options - see 4 posts down (with Oldest first) ...

See the latest posts by clicking newest (if it is visible just below) or using the page navigation (if visible at the very bottom).

• How to set the second hour  that show in the field?

• Sorry I hid the setting for 2nd time zone offset Slight smile

The offset for the 2nd timezone hour is in the “Global Settings” menu in the Designer – and is called “2nd Time UTC Offset”, but it is right in the middle, so you probably didn’t reach it! I decided to store the offset as part of the profile (rather than having a GCM / Garmin Express setting) so that it’s possible to save different profiles with different time zones if you wanted. So you could have a “New York” profile and a “Beijing” profile and then automatically alternate between them at different times or days. Or load them depending on where you are travelling. I’m not sure it’s as easy as a GCM / Garmin Express setting, but I’ve gone with it for now ...

• Nice Slight smile

This is a good time for me to note down something about the ring styles in general too - you might have noticed that some of the ring styles look really similar and appear to be repeated. In fact there are 2 categories, as the seconds indicator and the ring styles share the same graphics. The 2 categories are:

• Graphics aligned to the seconds markers - name prefix is "secs", e.g. "secs circular 1"
    • Graphics aligned to the gaps between seconds - name prefix is "ring", e.g. "ring circular 1"

The difference between the 2 types is that they are shifted half a second relative to each other (if that makes sense).

So if you have a ring and you want the start of your circular bar to align exactly with the 0 second mark then use the "ring" prefixed versions. And if you want each "block" that is added to be next to a second number then use the "secs" prefixed versions. There is no right or wrong way, they are just different options depending on your preference, and where you are setting the start & end points of the ring to be.

Both "secs" and "ring" versions have 60 blocks around a full circle. I did try some with 120 in the past but it got too expensive, hence having 2 different versions Slight smile

• Someone contacted me using the "Contact Developer" link with a problem, but unfortunately they didn't provide their reply email so I'm going to post my response here in the hope they happen to stumble on it.

I think from their description that they were assuming/hoping that the saved profiles in M2 Designer and M2 were actually shared data. Unfortunately Garmin don’t allow different apps to automatically share data. Which is a shame because it would be really cool! So the saved profiles with M2 and M2 Designer are only for saving extra designs with each app for easily switching between different ones. There is a bug report filed with Garmin for allowing shared data between apps, but I don’t think it will ever get implemented. But if anyone else thinks it would be cool then feel free to vote up this bug on the Garmin forums: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/allow-shared-storage-between-apps. The Garmin devs will love it Slight smile (It's already the highest voted bug report, but can always use more!) 

So the only way to copy a design from M2 Designer to M2 the watchface is to do a text copy of the “profile text”, i.e. the string of letters, from the M2 Designer settings and then do a text paste to the “profile text” in the M2 settings. These are the steps you need to follow - this will work using any of Garmin Express, Garmin Connect Mobile, Garmin Connect IQ Store app to edit the app/watchface settings.

• Open the settings of M2 Designer
    • Select and do a text copy of the “Profile Text”
    • Open the settings for M2
    • Delete any existing text from “Profile Text”
    • Then do a text paste of the text that you copied from M2 Designer into the "Profile Text"
    • Some codes might be split into 2 halves for complicated displays if the code is very long - in this case the 2nd setting called "2nd half of profile text" will also be used, but normally this is blank (so leave it empty or make sure it is empty)
    • Make sure there are no missing characters at the start/end, and no extra characters at the end (like a space) - if the code is invalid in any way then when you try and display it the screen on your watch will just go blank as it doesn't understand the code.
    • After entering the "Profile Text" you then need to save the settings (so they get sent to the watch).
    • The display should now appear on your watch!

If it doesn't then there are some extra things you can check in the M2 Settings in case they got modified by mistake:

• Make sure "Profile Management" is set to "Current Profile"
    • Make sure "Profile Number" is set to "1"
    • Make sure "Profile Activation Days" is set to "0" or "1234567"
    • Make sure "Profile Start Time" and "Profile End Time" are still showing "HH:MM" or are blank

Hopefully this is useful to someone ...

• Thanks for your feed back!! This was me, asking it, forgot to write my email address. Sorry :-) 
    Still I don’t understand. I have designed a new design by using m2 designer on my Garmin Fenix Watch. How can I discover the profile text which I have to copy? 

• Ahhhh I’ve got it. Have to follow step by step your description! There is a difference between M2 settings and M2 design settings. Thanks! It is awesome!!! 

• 01ZW2525111WDPO1031XGWc020Vc13QJ121VbR1XGVq035C13NC13XDC11XGYE04R1Vd3VdJ13NJ14L1R3VVJ1PdLVzVqVqVdVd1XGXG01XGU04H0R3VaF13UF11XGXG0

• Phew, you did "stumble" on my reply Slight smile Ahh yep M2 and M2 Designer have different settings even though they are a similar name - that would be cool actually if they had just one set of settings shared by both. (But they are separate apps, so unfortunately they have to have separate settings too).

Thanks for the photo - I love seeing the cool designs everyone makes Slight smile It also helps me see what features get used, and what things I can improve.

•  

I'm quiet happy with this one. The numbers: heart rate, time, steps/floors, day of month with number of messages (only visible if there are any). The rings to bring some colour to the game: the outer one visualizes steps, then floors, heart rate and calories on the inner circle. Looks colourful in the evening.

01ZC2525111WDPO1011X6Wi020Vc121Vc91X6Y804R1Vd3NC13VeC11X6Vc035C13NC1WrVZC11X6WB03VVC13OC13VXC181B0VxVV0082C0VxVk008CD0VxVw008DE0VxVe00

• Stupid question but you have to design on your watch? Not on tele