Watchface: M1

Support thread for the M1 series of digital watch faces (see M1 Lite and M1+). High-quality minimalist design, with a seconds indicator moving around the outside of a clean stylish display.

I'll post some tips and suggestions on changing the settings below, as there are a lot of options. Plus if there are any questions or problems feel free to post them and I'll try to answer!

M1 Lite is recommended for learning the settings initially - it has up to 3 data fields which you can customise.

M1 has the same options as M1 Lite, but allows up to 8 data fields. It also has profiles for saving different custom styles - and these can be activated automatically at specified times. But setting up the fields for M1 is more complicated! Whereas the settings for M1 Lite show you the options for all 3 fields at once, with M1 the settings only show and allow you to change one field at a time (and the watch just remembers the other 7 fields).

M1+ has more field data options than M1 but colors must be entered as RRGGBB or number (use the link in settings or see post below for a list). Extra field data options include: sun events, 2nd time zone, heart rate, calories, intensity minutes, distance, pressure & altitude. Profiles are compatible between M1 & M1+ so you can export and import between the two.

Known Issues

• Cool, glad it helps! It's a bit complicated, but it works Slight smile

• I've had some users asking how to make M1+ look like the main cover image showing just date and heart rate, so here are some instructions.

The colors used are:

• White = color number 3
    • Red = color number 19

The Time Hours Font is "Bold" and the Time Minutes Font is "Light".

Seconds Indicator Style is "Triangle" and Seconds Refresh Style is "Every Second".

Field Font is "Small" and the weight is "Regular".

If you just want to add a field with heart rate under the time then do this:

1.   Open the settings in Garmin Connect Mobile or the Garmin Connect IQ Store app

2.   Make sure Field Management is set to "On" - so the new field will be on

3.   Set the Field Number to 2, to turn on the 2nd field. It was probably on 1 before (which is the field above the time)

4.   Set the Vertical Offset to a negative number which means below the centre (-64 is a good value as the screen is 240 pixels high). In GCM if you have a problem entering the "-", then first enter 64, then move the cursor to the start of the line, and it will let you enter "-". Or copy the text "-64" from another app on your phone and paste it into the settings.

5.   Set Element 1 to be "Heart Rate" (and the color to 3 for white)

6.   Set Element 2 to be "Heart Icon" (and the color to 19 for red)

7.   Set Elements 3-6 to all be "Not Set" (meaning empty or unused)

8.   Save/send the settings to the watch

9.   The new field should now appear underneath the time!

There is one preset profile which is similar to the main screenshot – this is profile number 39 – which you can try out. It looks like this:

To use it, in the settings set the Profile Number to 39. Then change Profile Management to “Copy Profile To Watch Settings” and then save/send the settings.

If you don’t want the bar chart of heart rate for the last minute then you can turn that off (it is field 3), and change field 2 to be centred instead (see instructions in this thread for how to modify fields).

Alternatively here are some profile text strings you can import if you want it to look like the image below (see instructions in this thread for how to import a profile).

• 0,0,Heart,0,1,false,4,3,2,3,false,0,1,0,0,19,-1,-1,-1,3,false,false,0,0,19,63,12,3,0,24,-1,1,75,25,false,false,false,0,-1,0
    • 56,120,1,3,0,3,21,0,3,5,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,184,120,1,79,0,3,68,0,19,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3
    • 120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3

If you want a battery icon then you will need to set up another field, e.g. field 4. Make Element 1 be a battery icon, and set the “Visible If …” to be “Battery Low”. Then the icon will only be visible when the battery is low – which you can specify in “Status Battery Low Percentage” – by default this is 25%.

Here are the profile text strings for this setup:

• 0,0,Heart,0,1,false,4,3,2,3,false,0,1,0,0,19,-1,-1,-1,3,false,false,0,0,19,63,12,3,0,24,-1,1,75,25,false,false,false,0,-1,0
    • 56,120,1,3,0,3,21,0,3,5,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,184,120,1,79,0,3,68,0,19,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,212,120,1,58,14,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3
    • 120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,120,120,0,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3,0,0,3

To import the strings you need to copy them into the 3 settings: “Export/Import Profile Text” (top line) and “Export/Import Field Text” (bottom 2 lines). Then set Profile Number to your choice of profile, e.g. 1, set Profile Management to “Import” and save/send the settings. This will then just display for 2 minutes.

So then you need to copy profile 1 to the main watch settings. Make sure Profile Number is on 1 still, set Profile Management to “Copy Profile To Watch Settings” and save/send the settings.

• Is there a chance to have heart rate being updated every second even when watch is not in high power mode?

• Currently not, sorry!

Because the data fields can be positioned anywhere, doing 1 Hz drawing updates causes some headaches on the programming side if I do it "properly". E.g. if someone positioned heart rate right next to 7 other fields (it's not likely I know!) then redrawing the heart rate every second might need to partially redraw the 7 other fields too - which would work out too expensive.

Also if someone sets up a field which has for example "<icon> <heart rate> <icon>" and the heart rate value changes width on screen, e.g. from 99 to 100, then it needs to redraw the whole field to adjust the alignments of all the elements (could also be too expensive).

I have it in my mind that I could possibly add a "cheat" 1Hz heart rate option which takes up a whole field on its own and has to be positioned carefully by the user to avoid overlapping other items/icons on screen. Then when it needs redrawing it just blits a background color square underneath (drawing over whatever was there) and then draws the heart rate on top. I'm not sure if I will get around to trying this though!

• Fantastic work.

I like the simplicity of M1 Lite and would have used it, but (unfortunately) it doesn't support heart rate.  You have plans for this? (so I'd take a note to take a look in a few weeks/months and update to Lite).

• Yes, I still plan to make a Lite version of M1+ (which has the heart rate option) - it will be called M1+ Lite! It's near the top of my "to do" list, so I just need to set aside some time to make the changes. So hopefully soon Slight smile

• Love this watch face! (using M1+) I'm new to Garmin having just bought a FR 245 music - i've tried a bunch of them but really like the feel of this one.

i was wondering if you'll be adding some of the new watch features (stress score etc) as a field option?

Also, any chance of adding Bluetooth connection active/not active (i'd like to be able to tell if my headphones are connected or not)

anyway.. great work!! thanks!

• It's great to hear you're liking it Slight smile

Currently Stress Score and Body Battery are not available values for CIQ watch faces to use - but it seems like they would be really popular. Hopefully the Garmin devs are aware and can add them to a future version of CIQ - although they might be restricted on this as they license the software from someone else (I haven't seen a definitive answer on whether they can/will be added in future or not …)

And I agree showing headphone connection would be great as well! Unfortunately also not yet available to CIQ apps but fingers crossed it will be added at some point. The only Bluetooth connection CIQ can currently access is whether your phone is connected or not.

Hopefully the more the devs see good suggestions like yours the more likely these features will get added Slight smile

• Love this M1+ watch face !! very configurable ! Thanks a lot !

I have 2 remarks :

- Is it possible to have an option to have a bigger (heavy) outer ring ? 

- I have some troubles with F5X => the retrieve functionnality does not work for me, the fields are not updated after close/reopen settings page (I have followed your described method with new connect Iq Store on Android).

Thanks a lot !!

• Hi in answer to your questions Slight smile :

1. A wider outer ring - may be possible … Someone else asked me this recently and I did some tests to see if it is possible to do without using up more memory (as memory is very tight now!) Those tests were promising (and surprising!) so I'll give this a go. If an actual implementation can be done without requiring more memory usage then I will add it.

2. Sorry to hear the retrieve isn't working - it sounds like you are going through the right process (and so it should work), but it may be a specific issue with the F5X as there have been particular problems reported for that. I don't have a F5X myself so it's tricky to solve. I just checked this using Android CIQ Store app and my F5X+ and that still works ok. But I have some thoughts on troubleshooting if you want to try them:

- is M1+ your current watch face on your watch when you try and do the retrieve? (It's not mentioned in my step-by-step guides above, but I will add it now as it's important!) It needs to be the current watch face so it is running and can send the new values back to the phone. You can check if unsure by just changing the back ground color to a random value (e.g. 7) and making sure it changes.

- When you reopen the settings page, then has the "Field Management" setting changed from "Retrieve" to either "On" or "Off"?

- If you set a different background color value AND you set Field Management to Retrieve (then save the settings), then the background color should NOT change on the watch, and when you reopen the settings the background color value displayed there should be your normal color again (e.g. 0 equals black).

- When you save the settings does any message appear briefly at the bottom in a red bar? E.g. "We are experiencing server connectivity issues" - I get this sometimes, and when I then back out of the settings it asks "Do I really want to continue without saving", I say "yes". I then reopen the settings and the retrieve appears to work ok anyway. But maybe you get a different error message?

- Have you tried using Garmin Connect Mobile instead of the CIQ Store app? This used to crash when sending settings to M1/M1+ on a F5X, but I don't know if it still does or not. If you're worried about crashing M1+, you could try this test with the clone M1+ (B) watch face (although then you really do need to be careful about which watch face is currently active on your watch as they can both look the same!)

- It's possible low memory could be an issue. If that's the case then some things you could do to try and minimize the likelihood of this is:

(a) make sure the 3 export/import string settings (at the bottom) are all blank

(b) switch from M1+ to a widget and back again as this will restart the watch face and so reset all the memory allocations

(c) try setting the main time hours & minutes fonts to use a system font instead of the custom one temporarily. It won't look so nice, but you could then try doing a retrieve again and see if it makes any difference with more free memory available.

Let me know if you try any of the above, and what the results are!