Overview of Connect IQ Apps accompanied with source code

I've made an overview on my website of the connect iq apps that are accompanied with source code: http://starttorun.info/connect-iq-apps-with-source-code/
This can be a great resource for starting developers to learn how certain things should be achieved.
(When you use something in your own apps be sure to give credit where credit is due and to respect the license of the open source app (usually the license is available in the root of the source code repo))

When I missed a source repo you can comment on the above post in the comments section (or you can also indicate it below with a reply in this forum thread)

Hope it helps to attract new developers to Connect IQ :)

• Be great if more people shared their code. This resource helped me a LOT but most the examples are outdated now. 

• When you say "outdated", remember PeterD's site started 6+ years ago. and a number of the apps are from "pre type checking" so you may see a whole bunch of warnings and errors due to that.with the 4.1.6 SDK and greater.

But there is a simple fix.  In the project's monkey.jungle file. add

project.typecheck=0

To turn off type checking

You may also see cases where apps were posted before some devices, functionality, etc, but the should be ok for what they do support

• The local examples that come with the SDK have been very helpful to me as a newbie as Garmin has commented their code examples better than they have documented the SDK.

• Thanks Jim, I have found that to be a helpful solution.

I was thinking more about leveraging any newer ways of doing things, perhaps there are more things can be done in the newer SDKs. More hopeful that people will continue to share their source so others like myslef can dabble and learn from thsoe who know how.

• Anybody have an example of a datafild which does a web request in the background?

Looking to put something togteher that uses an API I have created and potentially write to the FIT.

Any examples would be appreciated as I have not found much scouring github etc 

• It's actually pretty easy if you understand background services, so that's where you want to start.  While I'll post basic apps to demonstrate a new feature (backgrounding, seconds all the time, CIQ BLE, etc) I never post source for a production app.

Too many cases where someone gets an app from github, makes minor changes and then publish  it as their own.  Why would I want to be in competition with my own app when it comes to ratings. I get requests all the time so someone can do exactly that.

It's a whole divide between what is OpenSource and what is IP.  Think about apps with "Payment Required" based on another dev's open source..

• This is not the correct way of looking at open source software. For instance the problem jim brought up in this message can be solved very easily.

Licenses prohibit or permit certain uses of your software. The following article gives a quick introduction to open source licenses on GitHub: docs.github.com/.../licensing-a-repository

• No, do you realize that making a simple change to code means that whatever license you use is no longer in effect.  This is from some that's done programming for 40+ years.  How do you enforce your open source license? 

What happens if someone violates your license?  Simple answer in "nothing" 

• I was not aware of that when you change your code, the licese is no longer in effect. Could you give me some article that explains that to me?

When someone violates your license you can sue them. It depends on the country of the licenser and the violator but in general taking actions with the law is the right direction. Winning lawsuits gives you more money and because the aforementioned "Payment Required" situation this seems like a win-win.

• The license applies to the source as published.  That's been the reality for decades.  Look at Garmin as an example.  You'll notice that they don't open source anything.

How much would it cost in time and money to take someone to court for violating a license?  Even if it's only one person out of 1000 that violates the license, the much simpler solution is to not open source your code unless you don't even bother to license it