Weird Garmin saying

hi everyone,

I saw this on thread about battery drain after FW update:

until the independent developer is able to update their app/watch face to function correctly (without causing a battery drain) with the new firmware version on your watch.

Are you aware about this?

I mean did you know we have to do something after every devices update (so every week)?

after a SDK update, I understand but after a device update?!

• If you have a battery drain issue, the first thing to try is a reboot.  Hold the upper left button for about 20 seconds and the watch turns itself on.  Then you might want to charge it to 100%.

I've seen high battery drains when new FW is installed, and this generally resolves it.

• that is what is odd and non logic, I mean, if he did "bad code", it should happen on yours also, as a active dev, you known that almost all the code is the same for both of your devices. So, I don't think his battery issue comes from the wf if the same one works well on your device. I saw for exemple on lots of devices that after a "bad" fw update, the low power mode never turns on.

• I don't know what is "low power" mode :) I mean I do know it, but some devices have real low power mode and some don't really have that but some watch faces manage to do something similar. It really also depends on the code - though I agree that the only difference between F6 and FR245 is probably the screen size. If I see that the same amount of battery is used when I see the time and 8 other data displayed for 24 hours than when only the time is displayed then it tells me (without having the code) that the calculations it does is the same. My first thought was that he calculates everything and only displays the time. But then I saw that in F6 it works, because there you see the slope of the battery drainage went from 30 degrees to 5. But again, I have no way to know it because I don't see the code, and the developer doesn't have FR245, so he's debugging it in the simulator and on hic non-FR245 watch that probably works correctly as my F6... I told him he can send me prg for side loading and I'll send the logs.

Af if it wasn't obvious: the FR245 only displays the time, and when we do a gesture then it does display the full WF for 10 seconds. So from the "QA" point of view it works as intended... The problem is not that the low power mode doesn't kick in.

• Actually all watches with CIQ have low and high power.  in low power, onUpdate is called once a minute, while in high power, it's every second.  AMODED devices are very restrictive in low power to prevent screen burn in.

Devices with onPartialUpdate allows displaying things like seconds when in low power, but you can only change a limited amount of the screen (the avg power budget per call has to be less than 30ms)

• It's the simplest solution to move problem to the other side - "everyone is wrong, but not me".

Of course it can be problem with CIQ app - bad coding - I can't say anything about others but I know how it look in my example.

I'm 100% sure is optimised as much as possible - average without activity it consumes 0,15%/h - 27 days and it's confirmed by "battery in day".  But when I switch on SpO2 draining is 1,5%/h - 10x bigger and now question where is a bug:
    - in firmware
    - in core/sensor
    - in CIQ/api
    - in my app when I only call getOxygenSaturationHistory? rather no

And I've made a lot of test to know where is the problem and I've found, reported and 2 new version of firmware and no fix. No bug fixing is the biggest cause of such problem. The same is in unfortunately in SDK, sometimes bugs are years old and no fix (e.g. history of Spo2, context in webRequsts..). So it's no wonder that someday it comes to the surface. And why there is forum with bug report for?

I've never seen IQ icon - no crush - in my f6p but ERA says something else and problem that errors are in not place which devices differ. It's even impossible to fix such bug - you watch into code and think "there is nothing to throw out here". Last my error was in formula x = y +z; How is it possible that many users have the same device, the same firmware and one has crush other doesn't.

• a. read the documentation about SpO2 (not the CIQ, the one for regular Garmin watch users)
    b. read what's written in GCM when you turn on SpO2.
    c. compare apples to apples. Your user's problem is probably not related to how your app displays the SpO2 data but how the sensor turned on for 24/7 (or even night only) affects the battery life. This is not a bug, this is how it is. Sensors use power. Tell the user to remove your app, turn off SpO2 for 24 hours, take a note how much battery was used, then turn on SpO2 for 24 hours, take a note how much battery was used. Then add your app again and after 24 hours compare how much battery was used. They'll see most of it was because  of the sensor being turned on not because of an app displaying the collected data.

•  a. and what's interesting there in this topic? if you have any answer simple answer and don't follow me to place where you find nothing

b. don't you think I didn't? SpO2 is completely failure. Now I have switch off SpO2 and currentOxygenSaturation  returns value 93 (5 days old), every 3 minutes I have new value in history -  my current SpO2 is 2147483647% - I'm very oxygenated man :)

c. Of course I've made this test and stock WF consumes more energy than my and with SpO2 x10 too.

• And Spo2 is one of example. The next one, altitude, test in stock apps not CIQ!!!, device has sensor but

- every time, when start activity watch asks me about altitude!!! (so watch should me ask about correct time every gesture) - when is autocalibration is very bad

- I confirm altitude e.g. 203m and go

- return to the exactly the same place - altitude 175...

- next day 206...

correct is  212

• hi, everyone, another "joke" from Garmin support, an user talk to Garmin support because he did not have SunEvent alert anymore, the Garmin support asked him to ask me to update my watchface to get sun event time alert...

• LOL. I have similar experience when coping with garmin support and the end users.

I used to think only the tech support of garmin in China is not well educated cuz here is China with great difference from that in ROW.

It looks like garmin service team all the same ??