Weird Garmin saying

hi everyone,

I saw this on thread about battery drain after FW update:

until the independent developer is able to update their app/watch face to function correctly (without causing a battery drain) with the new firmware version on your watch.

Are you aware about this?

I mean did you know we have to do something after every devices update (so every week)?

after a SDK update, I understand but after a device update?!

• Complete nonsense,  Was this from a Garvin "support" person?  Over the years, I've seen them blaming CIQ for about everything!

• And just get ''insulted'' by mail because I did not want to do this update... 

• Sounds pretty on-brand for Garmin - if there's a problem, blame the customer or blame the dev.

To be fair, Garmin is really good about replacing defective hardware, at least in my experience. (Like broken footpod or HR strap.)

• I used to think only Garmin in China mainland tends to blame all problems on the devs. So does CIQ team.

• Chinese users will report a lot problems, like ciq cannot save and so on.

Most time, if un-solvable, the email [email protected] tells the customer to contact the dev.

It seems haha the devs are the culprits for all unknown issues.

So I won't make any free apps to avoid endless customer service substituding for garmin and  the users who aren't willing to pay

• I'm going to address this with our support team, because the advice on that thread is not very accurate. CIQ watch faces can cause more battery drain than a "native" watch face, particularly if they are poorly written, but I don't think it makes sense to blanket remove any and all CIQ apps as suggested, and I honestly don't believe this is as common an issue as product support makes it sound.

That said, I do think it makes sense to switch to a native watch face for a period of time to see whether the customer's preferred CIQ watch face is the source of the problem. That would be a reasonable troubleshooting step. But just removing everything and assuming it's a problem because an app needs updating could easily be a red herring.

• Just yesterday I got a "contact developer" message from a user.  They'd updated their firmware and started getting full device crashes.

I've not seen a case where a CIQ WF could cause this in many years, and told the user that I thought support was just blowing smoke.

Heard back from the user and they said that's what they thought and even tried to convince the support person they were wrong, as they'd been using this watch face for over a year and the crash just started happening when they updated their firmware.  The watch face in question doesn't have a backgroud service, and while it does use onPartialUpdate, the code hasn't really changed in some time, and the only thing was I added new targets (the 255 and 955 for instance) where not a single line of code changed.  Even the fonts for those devices was there from other devices. 

This was a case where just switching to a native WF, or having support ask for the err_log for the device crash would have made sense. But neither happened.

• hi, I do agree that a poor code can makes the wf drain a lot of battery but the "issue" is:

the mail I received said that before the fw update my wf worked well with no battery draining but after the update, my wf drains a lot of battery and Garmin answer to him that I have to update my wf to fit the new fw update.

• I am having similar issues but from the "other side": my son has a FR245 and we had the same watchface for a while (I have a fenix6). And we both switched to a new WF a few weeks ago. On fenix everything is OK but on the FR245 the battery was draining almost twice as fast as with the previous WF. Then we went to the WF settings and set it to only display the time (without all the data around), and only display the rest on gesture. What do you think happened? Not what you think... On fenix it indeed uses much less battery, you can see the battery is almost flat now :) But on the FR245 it's the same as with the full settings.
    It took some emails with the developer and sent screenshots, and now waiting for him to fix it.
    Now we didn't have the WF with a previous FW, so I can't tell that it was or wasn't working better on an older FW, and to me it doesn't really matter, from my point of view it's a bug in the WF. Though I can accept an explanation from the developer with a link to a bug report if he finds that it is caused by some strange bug that only affects his WF ;) though even then I think that since the other WF-es don't have this problem he could find a workaround.