Request - Paragliding alti-vario

Would it be possible to create a data field for the Fenix 3 that work like an alto-vario for paragliding? It will show the climbing or sinking rate in m/s and bip quicker quicker in concordance with the rate.
If not a data field would an app be possible?
  • interested pilot

Hi,
    I am totally interested in anything that is useful in flight on the Vivoactive or Fenix (or other) watch.
    I would certainly test and report about my findings.
    Cheers - (Boran)
  • paraglide data

Other than the vario functions, which i also get on a beeper, I would love to have a data page that included

Ground Speed - choice of MPH KPH
    Glide ratio
    Glide ratio required
    Altitude
    Rate of assent - meters per second or Feet per Minute

With those 5 fields and a beeper the fenix 3 would be perfect for flying. Can someone make something like this?
    It seems funny that Garmin just sponsored the RedBull XAlps paragliding competition with all the pilots using the fenix 3, but there are no paragliding apps...
    huge market for some programmer i think

Hi Guys , Do any of you know whether the D2 Delta PX has this option for Vario , as well as the above wish list mentions ?
  • I don't, but the manual is available online.

Update:

Ground Speed: Yes, this is just Speed. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm willing to bet that the units selected for the device are used for this data field. A custom data field could display it in another measurement unit.
    Glide ratio: Yes, this is Glide Ratio
    Glide ratio required: Yes, this is Glide Ratio Dest
    Altitude: Yes, this is Altimeter, which shows pressure altitude until the device has a GPS fix, at which time it switches to displaying GPS altitude.
    Rate of assent: Yes, this is Vert. Speed. Again, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm willing to bet that the units selected for the device are used for this data field. A custom data field could display it in another measurement unit.
  • Hi there.

I have created a para/hang gliding app, which shows the following fields.

• The time
    • Total ascent
    • Total descent 
    • Elapsed time
    • The speed
    • Maximum climb rate
    • Minimum climb rate
    • The heading
    • Maximum sink rate
    • Minimum sink rate
    • Level position of the glider
    • Maximum altitude
    • Minimum altitude 
    • Maximum speed
    • Minimum speed
    • Current altitude
    • Starting altitude 
    • Level position of the glider
    • Compass that shows the direction to the starting point
    • Total distance
    • Average speed 
    • Glide ratio
    • Maximum glide ratio 
    • A graph showing the altitude against the distance

Anyone interested in testing the App?

Kees

• I am developing a vario for paragliding. The App is currently tested by paragliders. I am struggling however with the reactivity of the vario. The vario is refresh every 1sec, which is not too bad for some, but too long for other testers.

Once I have solved this problem, I will add the functionalities above, which are quite easy to add.

If you have any ideas on how to get a more reactive vario, please do not hesitate. 

By the way, with a 100 ms sensor raw ambient pressure access, a gyro and a bit of math, it would be fairly easy to get a dynamic vario able to compete against the best vario on the market.