Request - Paragliding alti-vario

Would it be possible to create a data field for the Fenix 3 that work like an alto-vario for paragliding? It will show the climbing or sinking rate in m/s and bip quicker quicker in concordance with the rate.
If not a data field would an app be possible?
  • Data fields don't have access to the Attention module, so there is no way to play tones from a data field. An app could definitely do it, but if you want to record your paragliding activity while having access to the functionality, the app developer would need to implement the activity recording and information display functionality from the native apps as well.

Travis
  • The record of the activity would Nice but this is not for me the first priority while paragliding. I would prefer a vario without record than a record without vario like now. It could come in the app in a second time. So if somebody know how to build a simple app only for a vario at the beginning...
  • I can definitely do this. I'd need to determine the frequency of the tones based on the ascent/descent rate, but once that is done, it should be easy. Do you have any idea how frequently the frequency should be updated (500kHz, 1Hz, 2000kHz, user defined, ...)? Is there anything else that you want to see on screen besides altitude and rate of change?

Should units just be the standard metric/statute, or should I add knots as well?
  • It would be great! The standard metric is fine for me.

So it would be great to have on the watch:
    Horizontal Speed in km/h
    Climbing/sinking rate +- m/s
    Altitude in m

Bip:
    - Nothing between "- 2m/s" and "0.2m/s" (ideally parameterizable from "-1" to "-3.5m/s" for the sink and between "0.1" to "0.5m/s" for the climb)
    - Frequency: For the climbing rate 10Hz by 0.1m/s, for example 150Hz for 1.5m/s. For the sinking rate it depend, is it only one tonality possible or a few because if we have only one it's better to have no bip for the sinking rate to not mix with climbing. From "-5m/s" or "5m/s" the frequency can stay the same.

Thanks a lot
  • Just a note. I haven't had a chance to start on this...
  • It will be great to have a Paragliding app, and i could help on designing the app.
    it will be good to also have a saved path (gps position every x seconds + altitude)

let me know if you need help

thks
  • No worries, I'm not in a hurry. Let me know if I can also help with more information to have a great paragliding app.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi,

Such an app would be great. WOuld be also happy to help and/or test.

Thanks
  • I believe I have the alti-vario portion working. I still need to do the activity recording and data field work, but that is really just a copy/paste of what I've got in the Recorder application I've already put in the app store (should be an hour of work).

I sent a PM to barbeyh over the weekend and haven't heard back, so I will need a tester. If someone wants to test, PM me and let me know what device you are using.

Travis
  • Hi,

I might be able to give this a go sometime next week. Would be using this as a backup vario, but could try some flights with both to try and compare with my main device.

Thanks