Request - Paragliding alti-vario

Would it be possible to create a data field for the Fenix 3 that work like an alto-vario for paragliding? It will show the climbing or sinking rate in m/s and bip quicker quicker in concordance with the rate.
If not a data field would an app be possible?
  • Hi,

I might be able to give this a go sometime next week. Would be using this as a backup vario, but could try some flights with both to try and compare with my main device.

Thanks

Hi,

any news on that? It would be great to get this app as soon as possible ...

Cu @ cloude base
  • I am fully supporting this initiative

I would love to have this app as well !
  • paraglide data

Other than the vario functions, which i also get on a beeper, I would love to have a data page that included

Ground Speed - choice of MPH KPH
    Glide ratio
    Glide ratio required
    Altitude
    Rate of assent - meters per second or Feet per Minute

With those 5 fields and a beeper the fenix 3 would be perfect for flying. Can someone make something like this?
    It seems funny that Garmin just sponsored the RedBull XAlps paragliding competition with all the pilots using the fenix 3, but there are no paragliding apps...
    huge market for some programmer i think
  • Hi Travis,

Please don't forget us crazy paragliders. It seemed that you are very close to a first version of a variometer. Are there any technical reasons (sensitivity of the barometer, ...) why you haven't released the app yet?

Please give us some update...

cu @ cloud base
    Tom
  • Hi

if i can help, just write a message.
    We could develop it together on github.

in the meantime i have placed a tiny watchface for paragliders in the ConnectIQ Store.
    https://apps.garmin.com/de-DE/apps/161b176b-fae8-4a39-8d22-e9249deafd31
  • It seemed that you are very close to a first version of a variometer. Are there any technical reasons (sensitivity of the barometer, ...) why you haven't released the app yet?

The biggest reason I haven't don anything with this is that I haven't really got much feedback about how well the test program actually worked. I can verify that the code does what it is supposed to and doesn't crash, but have no reasonable way to be sure it works well in the real world.

I also think something like this would work well as a full-blown app; with data fields like climb/sink rate, speed as knots, ... I've got the Recorder app that does 90% of what I think users would like, but without someone seriously invested in testing this with me, I have no interest in putting it into the app store.

Travis
  • I will try it and give you feedback Fenix 3

The biggest reason I haven't don anything with this is that I haven't really got much feedback about how well the test program actually worked. I can verify that the code does what it is supposed to and doesn't crash, but have no reasonable way to be sure it works well in the real world.

I also think something like this would work well as a full-blown app; with data fields like climb/sink rate, speed as knots, ... I've got the Recorder app that does 90% of what I think users would like, but without someone seriously invested in testing this with me, I have no interest in putting it into the app store.

Travis

I would love to try it, and will give you feedback right away. I can fly almost everyday, and have several full instruments to compare with. www.flytec.ch flytec 6030 is my main instrument. If you want to see the market for this kind of thing look at http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewforum.php?f=39 this is the biggest international paragliding forum, and the link is to the instrument section. Many new and intersting things going on, lots of makers, but Garmin could really add value and be a competitor in this area I think. Many if not most of the comp pilots still carry the Garmin 76csx, as it was one of the last with a lot of free flight related data fields.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago

Travis

Hi Travis,

I tested your app and gave you some feedback, but it seems that it was not what you expected. I tried it on the fenix 3 first in an elevator but also during flights and the conclusions were the same. The actual main limitation to use it as a real-time variometer is the delay of 3-4 sec compared with traditional devices. But numbers seems to be relevant. I thought that you were working on the recording part of the app which could help to compare tracks from your app and from other devices.

With only the end-user view, it is difficult to give you more information. I guess that your are reluctant to go on Github as you may want to monetize your app, which I can fully understand. Anyway, I would be happy to give you specific information. Just ask.

Thanks for your work. As you can see, a lot of people are interested in such an app.

Pierre
  • The D2 has the requested capabilities - with minimum response delay.
  • The D2 has the requested capabilities - with minimum response delay.

Where can I download the app, please?