Rowing compatibile with SmartRow from WaterRower

I have fenix 5 and I run (outdoors + on the treadmill) and row on the WaterRower. The built-in rowing application is too simple. It only measures time and tempo of movements (not distance and not strength).
I have noticed that there is a new equipment available for the waterrower as upgrade, which transmits additional data via Bluetooth. Maybe you can connect to it and enter additional data on your Garmin device?
It's called SmartRow https://www.waterrower.com/us/shop/accessories.html/smartrow.html.html
  • Przemeq, totally agree with you but I’m sure there is a better way. I ride on Zwift a 100km/week average. My Wahoo Kickr communicate with Zwift via Bluetooth to à AppleTV. When I’m done training, Zwift send automatically my data to Garmin and Strava. Don’t have anything to do. The one thing that make Garmin standing out from other apps is that it gather data from many other apps. I cannot ride outside with my CoopSco bike computer, send data to Strava and then to Zwift because Zwift don’t let me import. Lots of frustration. I row the days I don’t train on my bike. So I would like to row with WaterRower Connect, simply, and have it send data to Garmin Connect just by automatically selecting the apps. We are in 2023 guys. 850k users in Zwift. 1300000 rowing machine sold in the world.

• - You might be interested in http://www.rungap.com/ - it's not expensive and it may help you with connecting and publishing data to different platforms.

When I read your comment one metric sparked my interested. Where did you find the number of rowing machine sold in the world?

• I've found the text :

How big is the rowing industry?
    Rowing Machine Market: Global Industry Analysis and Forecast (2023-2029) Rowing Machine Market size was valued at US$ 1.30 Bn. in 2022. Hydraulics, one of the segments reviewed in our reports dominated the Rowing Machine Market.
    If rowing machines generates 1 300 000 000$, average price to 1000$, it is 1 300 000 have been sold on a 7 years period.

https://www.maximizemarketresearch.com/market-report/global-rowing-machine-market/67251/#:~:text=Rowing%20Machine%20Market%3A%20Global%20Industry,and%20Forecast%20(2023%2D2029)&text=Rowing%20Machine%20Market%20size%20was,dominated%20the%20Rowing%20Machine%20Market.

Thanks Ulf Mayer, I'll go check that site.

• Thanks a lot for the explanation! I also found those reports and somehow I just could not wrap my head around the free data, which is being offered. Not sure why, but my gut feeling told me that these reports smell a bit fishy.

I'm from europe and read the company names - only 2 or 3 are actually common and known for rowing machines. Like Concept2 or Waterrower. Maybe Kettler. and First Degree Fitness (which has been acquired)

They claim something like "By Product, the Hydraulics segment dominated the market with a 37 % share in 2022." - Not sure if I'm completely mistaken, but those rowing machines are better be found in a museum - I asked myself who would buy them in what part of the world?

Lately Amazon displayed how many products are being sold each month - which gives perspective, but only by one marketplace.

Not doubting your answer, I just really want a true source for the rowing machine sector - I'm interested in it.

• I'm sure you're right.

Didn't go look very far and took this for granted.

But I'm really happy with my WaterRower.

The S4 computer is a real good thing but data stays inside and I'm trying to find something to gather everything in Garmin Connect.

Proprietary softwares are good but I would like everything in Garmin.

Now that everybody knows that software companies sell all our data, I wouldn't understand why Garmin wouldn't develop something like I wrote in the first reply.

Even if the number of rower sold around the world is less than what I presented to you.

• Hi all, interesting topic, i have a waterrower myself and use it "offline". I do not have the Com Module nor Smartrow.

I do track my rowing workouts exclusively with my Garmin 255 watch. I set up my workouts, intervals,  alarms, target ranges and so on in the app, sync to the watch and do the workouts.

This way I have specific workout alarms and target ranges, good pulse data (almost as good as a chest belt without the uncomfortable feeling of having one), workout intensity (see post below) and spm (almost perfectly in line with the S4 stroke meter) in my connect after the workout. I manually then add the distance rowed and the best 500m splits into the workout summary in my account. That is it.

I dont feel I am missing out on much. Yes, Concept2 has power data, but coming from biking with a power meter I do not find watts to be a very relevant indicator in rowing. 

• Very interesting review, danke. 

I mostly agree, but having a 255 I find the stroke data surprisingly good and actually in my connect app not interpolated but visible in detail for every second of the workout.

The stroke alert thing is a bit weird but you can set it up on the waterrower itself which makes more sense and is spot on.

And the intensity indicator the watch gives me for my workouts is quite helpful and most times correct. I guess your 5.0 aerobic value was a one time faulty issue, then again 2,1 anaerobic seems very fine for such a short workout.

On my bike it takes me usually 2-3h riding to get values omewhere above 3-4 for aerobic or anaerobic. So getting 5,0 aerobic during a sub 1h training is almost impossible, must have been a mistake. For me it works usually quite well