Auxiliary Heart Rate data field compatibility modification

Hi,

I would really like to use the Auxiliary Heart Rate data field on my FR945, but sadly it is not supported. Since the FR935 is supported, I suppose this is merely a question of adding the device to the manifest.xml file (though I can of course be mistaken). I'm a past developer that hasn't coded in a few years so technically I suppose I could try to change the manifest myself, but seeing as setting up the environment may take me a while, gave me the idea of asking around here if anyone who is an active Connect IQ developer would be happy to help and post a newer version on the store (with the proper credits to the original developer of course).

Will anyone help? Thanks! 

(https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/showcase/4709/data-field-auxiliary-heart-rate?ReplySortBy=CreatedDate&ReplySortOrder=Descending)

• Oh, haha! Great minds think alike ;)

No worries, was looking for it myself as well so happy it is of use to others too!

• I was however disappointed that Garmin Connect plots OHR and external HR on the same graph with two different scales. That graph is completely useless, so if I want to compare them, I still need to use the FIT file, extract the data, fiddle with it, and use Excel to plot it :(

• I installed Auxiliary Heart Rate FR945 to my FR245. It works perfectly as long as I only add it to one of my activities. But since I have Training and Running I'd like to add it to both. It looks like it's possible to add it only to one of them. Is this a bug in the datafield or some kind of limitation/bug from garmin's side?

• Most Garmin watches only allow 2 CIQ data fields in an activity.

• I know but that's not the problem here:
    1. in FR245 indeed there can be only 2 CIQ data fields, however that is counted per activity. I was able to add 2 different CIQ data fields to Running.
    2. I was also able to add 1 or 2 different CIQ DF-s to my Training ctivity.
    3. I was also able to add the same CIQ DF to both Running and Training activity

This only doesn't work with the Aux HR DF. I have a feeling that this might be due to the way it connects to the HRM strip, which is a "singleton" resource, so maybe it's either not possible in the Garmin level or it can be a bug in the Aux HR DF.

• Have you tried using "contact developer" for that app?

• This only doesn't work with the Aux HR DF. I have a feeling that this might be due to the way it connects to the HRM strip, which is a "singleton" resource, so maybe it's either not possible in the Garmin level or it can be a bug in the Aux HR DF.

What happens when you try to add the Aux HR datafield to more than one activity? Are you preventing from adding it or does it get added but not work properly?

To me this sounds like a Garmin bug, and while it would be good to notify the dev about it, in the end it would have to be something that Garmin would fix IMO. Any unintentional cross-activity datafield interactions would be beyond the control of CIQ devs afaik.

For example, with the 945 LTE, there was recently a bug where adding Stryd Zones to one activity would cause power to be recorded for all activities as opposed to just the activity that it was added to. I don't see how the dev could've done anything to cause that problem (or fix it), but it appears to have been fixed by a Garmin update.

• First I could just add the Aux HR to both activities. The same day I used it in one of the activites, and it worked. 2 days later I started the other activity and I was shocked that the AuxHR field was swapped to Time. So I thought I must have made a mistake. Started to edit, but then I got this error that there are already 2 CIQ DF-s and I have to remove one to add another one. I thought it was strange, but still I thought it was my mistake. Then I deleted everything in the activity and set it up again, and the same happened:

(note: I already had AuxHR set up and working in Training activity)

- added a new screen to Running activity

- added AuxHr and normal HR next to each other to be able to compare. Everything looked OK while editing.

- started the activity and the AuxHR turned into Time

- at this point if I wanted to edit the screen it wouldn't let me chose because "I already have 1 CIQ DF-s" (it's not true, because I only added one to the Running activity and even that was "gone")

I tried to achieve the same by doing the steps in a different way but nothing worked. Finally what I did was that I removed Aux HR from Training and then managed to add it to Running, but of course I couldn't add it back in Training, 'cause the same happened as described above.

So I'm pretty sure this is somehow a Garmin bug, and judging from my understanding of how Aux HR is supposed to work I guess it's either combined with a bug in Aux HR (maybe the way it "locks" to the HRM strip via ANT is not as it should be?) or more likely Garmin is getting confused when trying to add Aux HR more than once because it uses the ANT (I guess this is the main difference between Aux HR and any other "regular" data field that I am able to add to both Training and Running activity)

If anyone from Garmin reading this then this is the DF: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a461bc0d-828d-47c8-a4a5-8d014b5fedc9, IMHO you'll be able to reproduce it (I have FR245)