This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Create a new custom training plan?

I'd like to be able to create my own training plan instead of using one in the existing library. I can't find any mention of being able to do this...either in the web UI(no "create new training plan" feature), or in GTC, or by uploading some text version of a training plan. Have I just not found the right solution, or does this functionality simply not exist yet?

Right now I'm manually creating the individual workouts and adding them to the calendar, but this solution can't take advantage of modifying them as a group(shifting the entire schedule) or visually grouping them together(they look just like other workouts in the calendar view). Would be nice to be able to share the entire plan with the community as well.
  • Has anyone found alternative software that works for creating custom plans ?
  • Agree- have found this thread as no half ironman plans on garmin and trying to find out how to import another or create my own.
  • +1 for me. Im doing the Fink plan for Staffs 70:3 and had to put all the separate workouts in. It was a nightmare and cant make any global changes or even shift them as a plan. I would even settle for GC allowing us to add manual tedious 1 by 1 workouts as long as we could group them afterwards.
  • I find it difficult to believe that Garmin apparently consider just ONE cycling training plan to be 'sufficient'. Sure, we can edit each of the workouts in the training plan - but to be limited to just ONE? Really?

I would certainly create and use several different training plans!
  • Seems pretty disingenuous that Garmin would not allow users to import there own training plans. It is a HUGE pain trying to create a custom plan for every month.

Why would you not make this available? Got to be $ behind it.
  • A big yes for this from me too. Can't believe it isn't available. Enjoyed using the Olympic tri plan for my last race. But no plans for the 70.3 available. Makes everything so much more complicated!
  • Would love this feature! +1 from me.
  • +1 for me. Im doing the Fink plan for Staffs 70:3 and had to put all the separate workouts in. It was a nightmare and cant make any global changes or even shift them as a plan. I would even settle for GC allowing us to add manual tedious 1 by 1 workouts as long as we could group them afterwards.

As noted earlier there is a workaround - not great but it does do the job.

This is what I do:

First add any Garmin Plan to your calendar - pick one that is the duration of the plan you want to create, because this is the only thing I haven't found out how to change - so 8, 12 or 16 weeks are the options, and obviously if any of the plans are close to what you want in terms of content, pick that one to use as a starting point.

Once the plan is added to your calendar you can now go ahead and start customising it:

* Edit the workouts in the plan - I find it easiest to select them from the Calendar and edit. You can make any changes you want even changing from running to cycling for example. Note when you edit a workout it changes all instances of that workout in your plan.
    * Move workouts to the days you want - GC will ask if you want to shift the whole workout or just this one
    * Delete individual workouts from the plan
    * Add New workouts to the plan - this is the kicker! If you create a new workout and add it to your calendar within the timespan of the current plan then you are given the option to add that workout to the plan. This means you can really create any plan you want (for 8/12 or 16 weeks)

So all the basic functionality to customise the plan is there, Garmin have just made it hard to find and awkward to do! There are some fairly basic things missing - you are limited to the 8/12/16 week duration and you can't change the name of the plan as far as I can see. And don't get me started on the poor state of workouts for swimming! And of course an Import/Export would set the whole thing on fire for everyone to exchange plans or use other tools to create them, but as someone mentioned I guess that is down to $'s

However at least it is a start.

Hope this help.

Cheers

Ian
  • As noted earlier there is a workaround - not great but it does do the job.
    ... you are limited to the 8/12/16 week duration ....

Good stuff Ian!

To overcome the limitations of 8/12/16 week schedules, presumably you could add multiple plans and butt them up against each other. This could be managed as training phases. E.g. let's say you want a 28-week plan as follows:

Base (16-weeks) + Hills (4-weeks) + Speed (4-weeks) + Freshen (2 weeks) + Taper (1 week) + Race (1 week)

Start with a 16-week schedule for "Base".
    Butt up an 8-week schedule for "Hills" and delete the last 4 weeks of activities.
    Butt up an 8-week schedule for "Speed" and delete the last 4 weeks of activities.
    Butt up an 8-week schedule for "Freshen" and delete the last 6 weeks of activities.
    Butt up an 8-week schedule for "Taper" and delete the last 7 weeks of activities.
    Butt up an 8-week schedule for "Race" and delete the last 7 weeks of activities.

I haven't tried this, but it seems workable, albeit tedious. Though once completed, you have training units that can easily be moved around.

Matt.