This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GCOverrides

While it is rather complicate to make Garmin responding to bug reports or to feature requests regarding Garmin Connect Web, it is often possible to make the changes ourselves, locally. A feature of the Chrome browser, called Local Overrides, allows it - you can customize not only the look of the pages, but in some cases, and to certain extent, even the functionality.

When reading the forums, I saw many requests, where the overrides could be used, and decided to test whether it could be done. After some testing I decided to share the results with the community. 

The installation of the overlays is easy - it is sufficient to download the file archive, unzip it into a folder, and then assigning and enablig it in Chrome DevTools. Detailed description of the functionality, and step-by-step installation instructions are available on GitHub. The only inconvenience is, that to keep the GCOverrides active, the DevTools pane or a window need to stay opened. The best way of doing so, is detaching them from the current page as a separate window, and minimizing them.

Recently, the Local Overrides work also on the latest Microsoft Chromium Edge.

The installation process is explained in details in the README file

Current Features (GCO v1.20)

• Weight - 6 Months Report - brings back the 6 Months report plotting all weight data within the 6 motnhs period (not only monthly averages like the 12 Months report does) Note: as of 2020/04/03 I noticed a new look of the Weight page in GC, and this feature of GCO does not work with it. However, since it still seems to be just an intermediate version, suffering some problems, I'll wait till Garmin fixes the bugs, before trying to add the 6 months report again.
  • Activity Overlays bugfix - adds missing overlays and their labels on zoomed graphs on the Activity pages
  • Floors per Min bugfix - fix of the incorrect pace on the native GC Floors Climbing Activity page 
  • Configurable Sleep Goal - see the chapter Setings in README.md for instructions
  • Conversion of Calories to kilojoules on the Calories In/Out page and on the Dashboard; needs to be enabled in the GCO Settings
  • Adjustable Y-axis on Graphs - turns the majority of graphs to have adjustable Y-Axis (with the help of selecting a rectangle of the current graph). Please note, that due to the compression of JavaScript files and the use of numeric chunks in GC, this feature may require frequent updates, and/or may not work for everyone. Searching for a more stable hack.
  • Panning of Graphs - the user can press the Shift key and drag the mouse in order to pan a zoomed graph (same limitations as at the previous feature)
  • Exportable Graphs - additional Export menu at zoomed graphs allowing the export of graphs as images or PDF
  • Enhanced Graph Tooltips - Distance added to all time-based activity graph tootips; improved formatting of tooltips on zoomed versions
  • Hiding Golf - optional hiding of Golf from the Side Menu and from the Gear Menu;
  • Hiding Model-Based Badges - badges designed only for exclusive watches may be hidden from the list of available badges 
  • Enabling manual date input in Reports - in the native version, on the Progress Summary page of Reports, the date can only be picked from the Calendar. Now you can enter it manually.
  • Diving Distance - information about the aerial distance between the entry and the exit locations of a dive
  • Step Counts for Activities - on the pages of activities of the type Run and Walk, the count of steps done during the activity is displayed
  • ... more to come

For details, please have a look at the CHANGELOG

(I'll be updating the list of features above, when new ones will be added)

• I have just added a third GC bugfix to the GCOverrides, correcting the wrong values of Floors per Minute incorrectly shown on the Floors Climbing Activity pages of the native Garmin Connec Web app.

• New version (v0.05) online - includes now also a configurable Sleep Goal - a feature vigorously demanded by many for example in this thread.

• Excellent. You're going above and beyond.

I tried to install using your instructions and encountered an error.

128ui.js?_=636870751959304392:455 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'send' of undefined

I must have done something wrong. I'll try again later today.

• Hm, I'll check it out later too. I am just in the middle of other changes. It is perhaps possible that you downloaded an intermittently faulty version. Let me know later today, if it does not get better, I'll ask you for some cooperation in trying to track it down.

• New version - v0.06 with the Conversion of Calories to kilojoules on the Calories In/Out page. By default it is disabled (the page will display Calories). You need to be enable the gcoUseKJ parameter in the GCO Settings to have the values on the Calories In/Out page displayed in kJ.

I did not manage to reproduce the problem reported by , so am unsure whether it is a general problem, or just an exception. If anyone already tried installing the GCOverrides, please report whether it worked or not.

• Another new version: 0.07 - kcal to kJ conversion added to the Dashboard Claories widget now too

If anyone has any wishes for additional functionality of the Overrides, do not hesitate to post it here.

• OK, so I installed .07.

What I found is the following:

The error is in the Chromium-based Edge browser but not in Chrome.

This time, the error in Edge is:

ntp?locale=en&dsp=0&sp=Google&startpage=1:1 Refused to load the image 'b1sync.zemanta.com/.../outbrain because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "img-src https://* chrome-search://ntpicon/ chrome-search://local-ntp/ data:".

In Chrome, there's no error. On the other hand, the overrides haven't worked for me either. I'm obviously missing or screwing up a step.

Just to clarify, I'm suppose to point to GCO-Master and not \tags.tiqcdn.com. Correct?

• OK, I see. I did not think someone would try it with Edge, but it is good to know it causes problems there. I'll test it on my side.

Just to clarify, I'm suppose to point to GCO-Master and not \tags.tiqcdn.com. Correct?

Yes, exactly, the GCO-Master folder. What exatly does not work - none of the listed features work? Do you see the light-gray title "GCOverrides v0.07" at the top of the Garmin Connect page?

Normally, enabling the folder in the Overides tab of DevTools of Chrome, and making sure you approved the security warning that apears at the top, after adding the folder, is all you need to do. Pehaps you could post a screnshot of the DevTools on the Overrides tab, so that I can see if I spot something suspicious.

• With the classical Edge, there are no problems, no errors, though the overrides are not functional - but they are also not supposed to work in Edge. I did not even know there is a new Chromium based Edge version, now (since two weeks). I just downloaded it, and will try it in a moment.

• So, I just installed the new Chromium based MS Edge, enabled Overrides in it too, added the GCO-Master folder, and to my surprise it works in Edge too. I did not get any errors, and the override features work.

I do not think it would have any impact, but which language version of Garmin Connect do you use? I tested it with the English version on Chrome, and with the French version on Chromium Edge - both work all right for me.

The errors you are getting on Edge, do you see them on some popup windows, instead of the content on the main screen, within the content of the page, or perhaps on the console of the DevTools? A screenshot would help too.