This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GCOverrides

While it is rather complicate to make Garmin responding to bug reports or to feature requests regarding Garmin Connect Web, it is often possible to make the changes ourselves, locally. A feature of the Chrome browser, called Local Overrides, allows it - you can customize not only the look of the pages, but in some cases, and to certain extent, even the functionality.

When reading the forums, I saw many requests, where the overrides could be used, and decided to test whether it could be done. After some testing I decided to share the results with the community. 

The installation of the overlays is easy - it is sufficient to download the file archive, unzip it into a folder, and then assigning and enablig it in Chrome DevTools. Detailed description of the functionality, and step-by-step installation instructions are available on GitHub. The only inconvenience is, that to keep the GCOverrides active, the DevTools pane or a window need to stay opened. The best way of doing so, is detaching them from the current page as a separate window, and minimizing them.

Recently, the Local Overrides work also on the latest Microsoft Chromium Edge.

The installation process is explained in details in the README file

Current Features (GCO v1.20)

• Weight - 6 Months Report - brings back the 6 Months report plotting all weight data within the 6 motnhs period (not only monthly averages like the 12 Months report does) Note: as of 2020/04/03 I noticed a new look of the Weight page in GC, and this feature of GCO does not work with it. However, since it still seems to be just an intermediate version, suffering some problems, I'll wait till Garmin fixes the bugs, before trying to add the 6 months report again.
  • Activity Overlays bugfix - adds missing overlays and their labels on zoomed graphs on the Activity pages
  • Floors per Min bugfix - fix of the incorrect pace on the native GC Floors Climbing Activity page 
  • Configurable Sleep Goal - see the chapter Setings in README.md for instructions
  • Conversion of Calories to kilojoules on the Calories In/Out page and on the Dashboard; needs to be enabled in the GCO Settings
  • Adjustable Y-axis on Graphs - turns the majority of graphs to have adjustable Y-Axis (with the help of selecting a rectangle of the current graph). Please note, that due to the compression of JavaScript files and the use of numeric chunks in GC, this feature may require frequent updates, and/or may not work for everyone. Searching for a more stable hack.
  • Panning of Graphs - the user can press the Shift key and drag the mouse in order to pan a zoomed graph (same limitations as at the previous feature)
  • Exportable Graphs - additional Export menu at zoomed graphs allowing the export of graphs as images or PDF
  • Enhanced Graph Tooltips - Distance added to all time-based activity graph tootips; improved formatting of tooltips on zoomed versions
  • Hiding Golf - optional hiding of Golf from the Side Menu and from the Gear Menu;
  • Hiding Model-Based Badges - badges designed only for exclusive watches may be hidden from the list of available badges 
  • Enabling manual date input in Reports - in the native version, on the Progress Summary page of Reports, the date can only be picked from the Calendar. Now you can enter it manually.
  • Diving Distance - information about the aerial distance between the entry and the exit locations of a dive
  • Step Counts for Activities - on the pages of activities of the type Run and Walk, the count of steps done during the activity is displayed
  • ... more to come

For details, please have a look at the CHANGELOG

(I'll be updating the list of features above, when new ones will be added)

• The error and warnings you see on the console of DevTools are unrelated to the GCOverrides. Just try temporarily disabling the Local Overrides, reload the same page, and check whether the error changed.

Using the URL from your screenshot for accessing the weight page, I can now simulate the issue, so will analyze and fix it. However, when you go to the main page of GC (after enabling the overrides again) and reload it, the GCOverrides title should appear at the top. When you then click on the left menu on the Weight option of the Health stats menu (the heart symbol), you will get the 6 Months Report. It just somehow disappears when accessed differently. I have to search why, and fix it.

BTW, you do not need to keep the DevTools open. The overrides should continue working even when you close the DevTools. Though, for the bugtracking, it is certainly helpful

• Well, I re-enabled overrides and the GCOverrides title doesn't appear.

Just to be sure, I'm going to download everything again and start from scratch.

• You really have to be on the URL connect.garmin.com/modern and relaoding there. I'd be surprised if the title did not appear. No need to reupload the files. I already know why it fails on other pages, but need to work around it. It will require more time to fix it, so for the moment just try the main page connect.garmin.com/modern. The rest will come later, so do not spend your time on trying it now

• I reloaded because I wasn't absolutely sure that I always had the latest file. I keep my documents in E:|documents whereas, I was concerne that it was unzipping to the users/documents folder.

Anyway, it doesn't work on the connect.garmin.com/modern for me even after doing that. 

BTW, heading to the gym right now. Be back this afternoon.

• OK, thanks for the patience. I tested the main page again - it works if the url is exactly connect.garmin.com/modern, but in the moment there is a trailing slash, the override script indeed does not load. Time to look for a more consistent home for the override script.

• connect.garmin.com/modern doesn't work for me either way with or without the slash. 

• OK, I will need some more cooperation in tracking it down. Let's take it to the Private Messaging, for the moment, to avoid spamming the forum. Wel'll post here back when it is resolved (hopefully).

• Just to let you know I use the 6 month weight graph almost everyday.

• Just to let you know I use the 6 month weight graph almost everyday

Thanks for the feedback! :) Happy there is at least one person finding it usefull (besides myself). Whoever would like to add other fixes, let me know.

• New version 1.03 has some fixes in the Sleep Goal adjustment, and in the kJoules conversion. 

And in the v1.04, there is a new experimental hack, that allows the adjustment of the Y-Axis on most graphs (i.e. the elevation, pace, HR, and other graphs). It is best usable on the zoomed versions of the activites graphs - just select the rectangle you want to zoom, and both the X and the Y axes will adujst according to the new selection (unlike the original version where only the Y axis changes with the selection).

Please note, that due to the compression of JavaScript files and the use of numeric chunks in GC, this feature may require frequent updates, and/or may not work for everyone. Still searching for a more stable hack, but am not quite sure whether it will be easily possible.

Please report whether it works for you, if you tested it.