This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GCOverrides

While it is rather complicate to make Garmin responding to bug reports or to feature requests regarding Garmin Connect Web, it is often possible to make the changes ourselves, locally. A feature of the Chrome browser, called Local Overrides, allows it - you can customize not only the look of the pages, but in some cases, and to certain extent, even the functionality.

When reading the forums, I saw many requests, where the overrides could be used, and decided to test whether it could be done. After some testing I decided to share the results with the community. 

The installation of the overlays is easy - it is sufficient to download the file archive, unzip it into a folder, and then assigning and enablig it in Chrome DevTools. Detailed description of the functionality, and step-by-step installation instructions are available on GitHub. The only inconvenience is, that to keep the GCOverrides active, the DevTools pane or a window need to stay opened. The best way of doing so, is detaching them from the current page as a separate window, and minimizing them.

Recently, the Local Overrides work also on the latest Microsoft Chromium Edge.

The installation process is explained in details in the README file

Current Features (GCO v1.20)

• Weight - 6 Months Report - brings back the 6 Months report plotting all weight data within the 6 motnhs period (not only monthly averages like the 12 Months report does) Note: as of 2020/04/03 I noticed a new look of the Weight page in GC, and this feature of GCO does not work with it. However, since it still seems to be just an intermediate version, suffering some problems, I'll wait till Garmin fixes the bugs, before trying to add the 6 months report again.
  • Activity Overlays bugfix - adds missing overlays and their labels on zoomed graphs on the Activity pages
  • Floors per Min bugfix - fix of the incorrect pace on the native GC Floors Climbing Activity page 
  • Configurable Sleep Goal - see the chapter Setings in README.md for instructions
  • Conversion of Calories to kilojoules on the Calories In/Out page and on the Dashboard; needs to be enabled in the GCO Settings
  • Adjustable Y-axis on Graphs - turns the majority of graphs to have adjustable Y-Axis (with the help of selecting a rectangle of the current graph). Please note, that due to the compression of JavaScript files and the use of numeric chunks in GC, this feature may require frequent updates, and/or may not work for everyone. Searching for a more stable hack.
  • Panning of Graphs - the user can press the Shift key and drag the mouse in order to pan a zoomed graph (same limitations as at the previous feature)
  • Exportable Graphs - additional Export menu at zoomed graphs allowing the export of graphs as images or PDF
  • Enhanced Graph Tooltips - Distance added to all time-based activity graph tootips; improved formatting of tooltips on zoomed versions
  • Hiding Golf - optional hiding of Golf from the Side Menu and from the Gear Menu;
  • Hiding Model-Based Badges - badges designed only for exclusive watches may be hidden from the list of available badges 
  • Enabling manual date input in Reports - in the native version, on the Progress Summary page of Reports, the date can only be picked from the Calendar. Now you can enter it manually.
  • Diving Distance - information about the aerial distance between the entry and the exit locations of a dive
  • Step Counts for Activities - on the pages of activities of the type Run and Walk, the count of steps done during the activity is displayed
  • ... more to come

For details, please have a look at the CHANGELOG

(I'll be updating the list of features above, when new ones will be added)

• Sorry, got busy yesterday. 

My Chrome version is English (Canada). I could try English (US) I suppose.

I'll get back to you in an hour or so with a screenshot of the error.

I'm surprised no-one else has chimed in.

• OK, so I started over this morning. There are 5 erros and 5 warnings. From what I can tell they all come from the overrides.

• And when I go back in, there's this:

• Also, the forum isn't working properly this morning. 

• My Chrome version is English (Canada). I could try English (US) I suppose.

It won't matter. I meant what localized version of Garmin Connect Web you used, but it is apparently also unimportant. 

As for the second screenshot with the "Failed load" error - I do not think it has any relation with the Overrides. More likely the same problem as with the forum today - Garmin's servers are regularly overloaded on weekends.

As for the first screenshot, that comes indeed from the Overrides, but I need to know the exact page you were loading in that moment (the URL).

You also did not answer, whether you can see the light-gray title "GCOverrides v0.07" at the top of the GC Web pages, so that I see whether the overrides work or not. Also - did you try loading for example the weight page, to see whether the 6 Months report is now available?

• After looking at the errors on the first screenshot, it is apparent that they come from the original part of the utag.js file, not from my code. It means that unlike I hoped, the utag.js file does not have a fixed content, but a dynamically created one, and hence is not suitable as the home for the injection of the overides. I will have to find a better file, where to store the overrides instead. 

• OK, so I have moved the code. It is now made much cleaner than originally - the injection code is now stored in own independent file gco.js, no more using any of the orginal js files as host. I could do it thanks to the overriding of the main HTML file 'modern'. The GCOverrides are now available in the v1.01. To update, simply remove the entire original GCO-Master folder and replace it with the latest version.

Please let me know the result.

• The page I was looking at was my main Dashboard. 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/dashboard/2959145 

However, I don't think I ever made it public.

I don't see the light gray title although at one point I had a dark grey circle for a mouse pointer but couldn't do anything while it was displayed. I had to exit the page to regain functionality. I'm pretty sure it came from the override.

I did try to see the modified weight page but it didn't change from the default.

If it means anything, my GCO-master folder is E:\documents\GCO-master.

• Not sure if you saw my previous post. Load the new v1.01, it should resolve the conflict with the incompatible file utag.js. Remove the old GCO-master folder before loading the new one! Let me know if it helped. 

• Screenshots after 1.01.