This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Status separated when using two devices

I have a FR645 and an EDGE530, one for running (with chest strap) and one for cycling (chest strap and power meter).

Physio TrueUp is enabled on both devices, so I was expecting to see my cumulative training status, taking into consideration both runing and cycling.

But no, I have two different training status, one for each device:

FR645

EDGE530

My FR645 is telling me that I'm in a recovery period, but of corse it's not and I'm digging hard into cycling.

The only updated data is the recovery advisor, which on my everyday FR645 shows me correctly 42 hours, which is the recovery advice calculated by my EDGE 530, even if FR645 is still saying that I'm basically doing nothing (recovery...).

This is bad, because the whole point of choosing two devices of the same brand is to share information between the two, to be able to plan my next training session.

In my opinion Training Status must be a cumulative data, not divided by device but by sport: for example if I'm able to see only my running training status on Garmin Connect, I can adjust my schedule to compesate for imbalance between two my sports, but my overall training status is always the same, I'm not "recovery" if I'm overtraining with cycling!

• The strava premium I think is pretty good. The fitness and fresh metrics are similar to what training peak will provide I don't ride competitively, I just want to make the best use of my time when training, and strava delivers on that. The free version of Training peaks is useful to see you weekly load if you want to track training load. Garmin connect might be ok just for one device, i hadn't checked. But when I was getting conflicting advice and status between fenix and edge and garmin weren't interested in fixing it I figured it was time to look elsewhere. 

Cheers,

Mike

• Thanks for the hint! I also read exactly the same training load on my devices using this trick.

• I have been experimenting with the set up of Edge 530 cycling and Fenix 6 for running after reading that you need to do loads of syncs to get this to work and my results (as your post) for training load is fine.

I seem to need to sync both devices a couple of times after an activity to get the same values but I do prefer that than recording all my activities on fenix (and only using the edge for display on a ride). Of course I would prefer less sync'ing

• The issue is not whether the training statuses on the devices themselves end up syncing up - the issue is whether Garmin Connect App can show the combined data from two devices. 

• OK it can't do that - oddly enough Garmin Connect online does show this 

• Unbelievable, we all share the same frustration. I had this issue after adding an Edge 1030 to my existing Fenix 5 and thought I was doing something wrong. After reading through this thread, it's surprising that so many people have the same problem and nothing is done about it. As I'm running (Fenix) and cycling (Edge) there's no proper way to keep track of my overall training status. 

And it's BS that cycling and running activities can't be added up - which Garming apparently claims - because Strava is doing exactly that. So Garmin is in the business of selling expensive devices, to have Strava do the overall calculations. Poor job.  

• I think Garmin is calculating training status on device, not on Garmin connect web or mobile. So could it be that in order to get training status aligned on two devices, you have to first sync them both to Garmin connect to get all the data there and then sync again back to devices. At this point devices have training data from both devices and are able to calculate real training status there. After this you need to sync once again to get the calculated real training status from devices to show on Garmin connect too.

• Yes I eventually got around to checking,  and physio true up is enabled on both devices. They always have access to sync via my phone (Edge 530 only when it's switched on) so there should be no impediment.

• Nope, that's not how it works unfortunately. An activity recorded on one device, will never ever show on the other device, regardeless how often you sync. The two Garmin devices are simply unaware of each other, even when both are synced to the same Garmin Connect app. So that applies to recorded activities, training status, etc. I've been cycling a lot recently using an Edge 1030, but none of these activities show on my Fenix 5 (which I use for running) and the Fenix now no longer has a training status because I've not used it for 2 weeks.   

The only place where the stuff from two devices comes together, is on 3rd party apps like Strava when you sync all your activities there.