This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Status separated when using two devices

I have a FR645 and an EDGE530, one for running (with chest strap) and one for cycling (chest strap and power meter).

Physio TrueUp is enabled on both devices, so I was expecting to see my cumulative training status, taking into consideration both runing and cycling.

But no, I have two different training status, one for each device:

FR645

EDGE530

My FR645 is telling me that I'm in a recovery period, but of corse it's not and I'm digging hard into cycling.

The only updated data is the recovery advisor, which on my everyday FR645 shows me correctly 42 hours, which is the recovery advice calculated by my EDGE 530, even if FR645 is still saying that I'm basically doing nothing (recovery...).

This is bad, because the whole point of choosing two devices of the same brand is to share information between the two, to be able to plan my next training session.

In my opinion Training Status must be a cumulative data, not divided by device but by sport: for example if I'm able to see only my running training status on Garmin Connect, I can adjust my schedule to compesate for imbalance between two my sports, but my overall training status is always the same, I'm not "recovery" if I'm overtraining with cycling!

• Matthew thanks for this solution. Still baffles me that this is an issue. I bought an Edge 830 purely to stay on the Garmin platform. Otherwise I would have just got an Elemnt Bolt. The only reason I stayed on the platform was because of Physio True Up. I never thought to google and research this as an issue until I was frustrated by the different numbers between the two devices. 

Note for others, your training status will still be different. This only fixes the training load. So still only a halfway fix. 

Garmin hopefully you read this thread. Im a loyal customer but this has left me frustrated and baffled as to how you can let something so simple go unfixed for so long. 

I have been loyal to Garmin since 2008. 

The next time I need a new device I'll be looking elsewhere, no blind loyalty from this customer anymore. Show me what you've got Suunto...

• I have spent quite a bit of time reviewing this (surprising to me) situation. I have also email Garmin support for advice (3 days ago - waiting for a reply).

I have a Fenix 6 (running) and  Edge 530 (cycling) so both new devices. 

From various threads it seems that some people also record their cycles on their Fenix to get around the Training status issue (with various options). According to the True Up documentation Garmin will only use the duplicate activity from the preferred device.

I wonder if the problem is that Garmin connect itself does NOT do the Training status calculation - I would like to think that Garmin have this on their roadmap to fix.

• That sounds correct to me. The devices are what have the the Firstbeat licensing sold along with them in order to calculate those values. Garmin Connect displays this values, but not calculate them itself. If Garmin Connect was given the ability to calculate them, I assume Garmin would need to charge for that service in some way to cover for the costs of licensing the service from Firstbeat. Otherwise people could import files from any sort of device and use that Firstbeat software for free through Garmin Connect. Garmin would have a real hard time working out what that pricing would be to use Garmin Connect with Firstbeat technology, but could potentially offer a tiered service where you can pay a monthly fee for access to the Firstbeat tech.

• So is the best solution for me to record my cycling on Fenix!

Even with Garmin buying Firstbeat I can't see this problem going away soon unless they change Garmin Connect to lock it down for using Garmin devices for the Training Status stats

It i a shame that  the devices do not use the activities that come in to them from Trueup in the Training status. I can see my rides (recorded in the Edge 530) on my Fenix but these are not used in the Fenix Training status on Garmin Connect

• Yeah, it seems like the best option is to rely on using one device all the time.

I agree that this won't be changing anytime soon. It's not a "bug" or something that needs to be "fixed", there's a big licensing/pricing agreement hurdle they have to get over before they can even think of developing the software to do it.

• That exact reason keeps me spending any more on Garmin "ecosystem". No use to have a (expensive) cycling computer if you still need to use your watch. I assume there are others too, who are holding back and Garmin are loosing business. They seem to have taken at least a bit more active role to solve the problem by acquiring Firstbeat.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

one year onwards and no combined TS

forum posts popping up lately ... fenix-6-series optimal-range-incorrect-on-new-watch

happy & safe sporting

• When I asked Garmin "I record my cycles on Edge 530 and it gets synced to my Fenix 6. However when I check https://connect.garmin.com I have 300 more calories burnt than on the watch. Is this because it did not adjust the cycle effort correctly (I use a power meter on my bike). What is the best guidance for using a Fenix watch as my primary device (health and running) and Edge 530 for cycling?"

My official reply was "

The reason for this is because the edge would have recorded Activity calories where your fenix wouldn't: Calorie Terminology

In terms of calories the set up you currently have would be the best way and using the the fenix for general activities and the edge for cycling primarily would be best, in terms of more accurate calories burnt i would recommend linking your Edge Device with a Heart rate strap as well."

Out of curiosity I have been just using my Edge for cycling (starting last week). The appeal to me here is that I need to charge my Fenix less often. Some comments:

1. I need to sync my Edge daily
    2. After a ride I seems to need to sync both my Edge (at least once) and the Fenix (sometimes 3x) to get the same 7 day Training load value
    3. The Garmin Connect web pages are better when you have more than one device (for training status anyway)
  • Use any other app. Training peaks, todays plan, xert, even strava. The connect app and it's guidance are garbage. Just use tge edge and fenix to pull in the data and use a third party app to do what Garmin seem either incapable of or indifferent to.

That is the path I have taken.

Good luck,

Mike.

• I have been wondering about that. In some ways it is a shame since the Training status would be ideal if it really worked with multiple devices.

When you say " The connect app and it's guidance are garbage." - Is this also true for using just one device or does it only become garbage when you use more than one device?

Is there a good guide for these apps value for money - also a comparison with Garmin (using one device) would be good. I have Strava Premium and that gives "Fitness Freshness" which I do look at but not the same as Garmin would be - or even is if I just use the fenix to record my cycles on Garmin (discarding the Edge which I use during the ride)

If I was doing serious racing I would go Training Peaks but it seems expensive for one half marathon, 1 10 km and regular 5k park runs (once these all restart)