Sync problems: Training calendar runs don't show up, workouts don't sync at all

For the past few weeks I've been unable to get my training plan from Garmin Connect to show up correctly on my Forerunner 235. When I navigate on the watch to "Training Calendar", it says to download your training calendar from Garmin Connect. I've tried this a gazillion times. I've wiped the entire watch back to factory settings multiple times, I've canceled and deleted my training plans and restarted with a different plan... without fail, none of the workouts show up in the training calendar on the watch. They are, however, hiding in the workouts section.

I've also discovered that new workouts that I make online with Garmin Connect aren't being synced. I've specifically gone into the app, selected the individual workout, sent it to the device, and Garmin Connect says it worked, the watch shows a transfer successfully finishes... no new workouts.

Anyone else having similar issues? And any idea how to fix it? I'm getting frustrated, the calendar view on the watch is key to keeping me on track.
  • And on the site, when you click the three dots button, "send to device" doesn't appear as an option.

If you speak about the Workouts page, then the "send to device" option is never in the tripple dot context menu (AFAIK). You have to enter the workout, and then there is a big blue button "Send to Device" at the right top of the workout. I haven't seen yet, that it would be missing. Not telling it is impossible, but would like to know how it happened in your case. Under which circumstances did it disappear? After a certain operation? At a specific workout? At the same workout, where the button was previously available? At a workout you created, at one from the built-in workouts, or at a Coach Plan? When at a Coach Plan, then when exactly - at initializing the plan? At pausing or rescheduling it? I use all of that relatively frequently, but did not see yet the button disappearing, so would like to know the way to reproduce it.

• Hello, problem stays unsolved. I have been mailing with our customer support here in Belgium for months, without any solution. At CS, they do not know what we are talking about! Finally I got very angry with them and so I got someone from Garmin higher in rank. But still no good: I had to explain to them my own "work around" because they don't have any clue how to resolve this question... So my work around is this: I have the marathon schedule from Garmin in my agenda (Garmin Express) but I can't transfer it to my forerunner 235 (no "send to device" button"). I open 1 session in agenda and I modify it lightly: a recovery run of 45:00 minutes I change into a recovery run of 45:01 minutes...  This modification you can save and then you should be able to see in the right corner on top "devices and sync status" (pc, not the app) your training days ready to send to your watch.  You then synchronise and this should appear in your watch. Works for me... But like I said: it is a work around, not a normal procedure that you would expect from a firm as Garmin...

• No. This problem is with training plans scheduled in the calendar. When you create/add a new training plan to the calendar and sync a Garmin watch, only a limited number of workouts get transferred. This is because the watch may not have room to store all of the workouts. That's fine. As you progress through time, you should be able to use "send to device" to update the stored workouts by deleting those that have passed and adding new ones for future dates. This is the feature that has stopped working reliably. The workaround is to make some change to the training plan to trick Garmin Connect into thinking it's a new plan that needs to be sent to the watch. (People have shared various variations of this trick like adding a workout or changing the start date.) Whatever the case, this should be an easy fix. This is normal use of these types of devices. If my training plan has 90 workouts and only the first 20 fit on my device, it should be virtually automatic to refresh the device with future workouts. Not only is it not automatic, but at times it is impossible without making changes to the training plan.

• It seems that the issue is that Garmin took away the "Send to Device" option from the Connect website and app and replaced it with the ability to detect when the watch needs to be synced (for example, when you edit or add a workout) and automatically transfer the workouts.  Which is nice, though it sounds like this feature is somewhat buggy and does not always detect a change. 

It also doesn't cover the need to eventually send additional workouts to your device if the maximum number of workouts was transferred.  It seems that putting the "Send to Device" option back would be the easiest solution.  But I'm just a software engineer, what do I know?  ;-)  

• Same problem just started today.  2/5/2020.  Wtf. 

• Come on Garmin.  This is really putting unnecessary pressure on my training plan this year.  I’m relegated to printing my drills and using a stopwatch.  

• I’m relegated to printing my drills and using a stopwatch.  

The solutions proposed in this thread did not help?

• Nope.  I can see the workout on my app on my phone and in the browser.  Last week, when I synced my watch with the phone, the run workout was the first thing on the screen when I selected a Run.  Today, there’s no amount of reset or sync or scheduling a one off workout to make it show up.  I haven’t ever connected my watch to my computer before and don’t intend to start doing that as a workaround.   I was able to navigate into the workout section on my phone and push the specific workout to my watch, where I found it in MyWorkouts.  But the training calendar section on the watch menu still tells me I need to download my calendar from Connect.  

• and don’t intend to start doing that as a workaround.

OK, so you prefere waiting till it fixes itself? Good luck then. I am just afraid your training plan will be over before it happens.

Did you try the suggestion farther in this thread, recommending to make a slight change in the schedule to get it re-synced? It is here: https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/161334/sync-problems-training-calendar-runs-don-t-show-up-workouts-don-t-sync-at-all/974227#974227