This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incorrect distance syncing to Apple health

Despite my original thread now being closed with the text that:

"This was resolved in the latest version of the Garmin Connect App (4.24)"

Unfortunately I have updated to this version and whilst the original issue has been resolved there is still an issue with incorrect distance going to Apple Health in some cases.

Essentially, if only distance from the activity tracker is being synced then the distance data sent to Apple Health is correct.
However as soon as you log a run the distance is again incorrect, it looks like it is adding the run distance data twice or something.
For example, here are my stats from yesterday, a 10km run and 17,957 steps
When I look at the steps data I see this in Connect, 17.52 km for the combined 10km run and the distance
from steps.
However look at the data sent to Apple Health it is incorrect with 26.1km:
Which can be seen was synced from Garmin Connect to Apple:
The original forum post which is now closed reported this issue near the bottom of the logged comments:
As others have commented, the data is fine unless you log a run.
Also if you change type from run to walk and then re-sync then apparently the issue goes away (I haven't tried that)
Thanks

• True, but really I have just given up worrying about it. Garmin is my running watch which works fantastically for me and the data is correct in Garmin Connect and Strava and other related apps, which is all that really matters from my side, it's only really the run data I am interested in, not total steps I took for the day or stuff like that.

This was always something I just noticed on my iPhone when browsing Apple Health one day, I simply no longer ever bother using Apple Health, I have other places to view this data. If I was really using Apple Health though this would continue to annoy me. especially as this is months and months now, and as you say shouldn't be a big thing to get corrected.

• This is really annoying. I was wondering why the Health app displays ridiculous high walking distances. The Garmin app just syncs activities multiple times. Here a run of 8,5k and it was synced several times with a total walking distance of 333k that day ... I disabled it for now.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to eelay

I had the very same issue and decided to sell my Garmin. 

• I've recently started using a Vivoactive 3 with Connect on my iPhone - was getting infuriated about the incorrect distance syncing onto apple health. I took up the issue with Garmin Support, was asked to jump through a few hoops (iphone serial number/software, send activity logs, screenshots etc)

So I did all that, thinking naively that they would come back with a fix for it. However, in the end their 'solution' to it was to send me this:

Hi Phil,

Thank you for sending that through for us.

Please take a look at the link below.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=L2DLX62EcB8NePbp55axm5

Kind regards,

Bradley

Garmin Europe

PO Box 392 | Southampton | SO40 0FW | UK

www.garmin.co.uk

Registered office: Liberty House, Hounsdown Business Park, Southampton , SO40 9LR , UK . Registration no. 2724437 VAT Reg. No. GB568 6978 58

• So I clicked on the link, expecting it to take me to a page describing how to fix the issue... however... all it does it take me to a page that tells me there's an issue syncing distance to 3rd party apps!!!! Thanks Garmin!! The best solution you can come up with is to inform us that there's an issue...

My workaround is to allow Connect to sync with Strava, and allow Strava to sync with Apple Health. Works well so far...

• That's indeed the workaround I suggested a few weeks ago. Unfortunately Strada changed it's free account behavior and as a consequence it won't sync anymore my power trainings. Only walk/run/bicycle.

• Exactly the same issue for me

• I have the same issue. Every time I end a run (I typically run for 5 - 7k), health says I have run 20+k.

Looking at the data, I can see that it was sent from Garmin.

• Bump. A few updates to the app but these issues are still not fixed.