This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incorrect distance syncing to Apple health

Despite my original thread now being closed with the text that:

"This was resolved in the latest version of the Garmin Connect App (4.24)"

Unfortunately I have updated to this version and whilst the original issue has been resolved there is still an issue with incorrect distance going to Apple Health in some cases.

Essentially, if only distance from the activity tracker is being synced then the distance data sent to Apple Health is correct.
However as soon as you log a run the distance is again incorrect, it looks like it is adding the run distance data twice or something.
For example, here are my stats from yesterday, a 10km run and 17,957 steps
When I look at the steps data I see this in Connect, 17.52 km for the combined 10km run and the distance
from steps.
However look at the data sent to Apple Health it is incorrect with 26.1km:
Which can be seen was synced from Garmin Connect to Apple:
The original forum post which is now closed reported this issue near the bottom of the logged comments:
As others have commented, the data is fine unless you log a run.
Also if you change type from run to walk and then re-sync then apparently the issue goes away (I haven't tried that)
Thanks

• Same problem, very annoyed.

Here's precisely what's it's doing on days where I both run and "step" with my Garmin device.  Example:

-Let's say I walk 4000 steps and run 8 miles in one day.  Let's assume I walk 2000 steps/mile and run 1600 steps/mile.  I have walked 2 miles and run 8 miles, so in reality I have moved 10 miles, and I have stepped 4000+12800=16,800 steps in total. 

-However, Garmin is including the steps I take during my run as steps walked.  So in this example, Garmin sees 16800 steps, and says I have walked 8.4 miles.  Then it adds my actual run of 8 miles, and syncs 16.4 miles over to Apple Health.

So it is double-counting the steps during the run, and adding them as steps walked.  Then it converts to distance, adds in the run, and syncs.  That's why it seems like it's adding the run almost twice, but not exactly.  All GC needs to do is ignore steps taken during a run, convert to distance walked, add in the run distance, and sync.  This isn't that hard.

Garmin, please fix the problem and do proper QA before release.  Your hardware is great but these software headaches make your most enthusiastic users very frustrated.  Syncing distance properly is not a big request!  

• (It feels like we somehow signed up to a beta-testing branch without knowing?!) Same problem here for me when I go out for a run.

• Same problem for me, still hasn’t been fixed!

• The problems remain, it has been over six months now and Garmin still has not fixed this major issue. Really sad story and a bad way of treating your customers.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I've just purchased the Forerunner 245 Music and have exactly the same issue. Disappointed to see it seems to have been an issue that's not been fixed for a long time.

• Unbelievable this hasn’t been fixed by Garmin yet, what a disgrace.

• Apparently this should have been fixed in the latest release, but still no.

• Yes, it's utterly ridiculous how inept their iOS development team is.

Users report running activity double-counted in total Walking + Running Distance.

They proudly email to "announce" a "fix"... which actually then just duplicates loads of entries; customers again report this.

They, again, proudly email to email to say they've fixed the duplicate entries...but still haven't fixed the original problem of the double-count.

It's really not a big issue- I could just disable Apple Health sync as they're evidently incapable - but it's infuriating to see their incompetence laid bare and it's treating us with utter contempt to not pay attention to the actual bug reported, or test the software before inflicting it on it. It's also contemptable business practice that they continue to claim to new customers that this is a feature, when they are well, well aware that it doesn't work (likewise Physio True-up across devices).

Do you agree Former Member and or would you prefer to continue to ignore us after falsely claiming the issue was fixed and then locking the previous thread?

• We are looking into what is causing this problem and I apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused.

As for the previous thread, this was closed so we can track new reports using the latest API. 

• Thank you for replying to this thread having ignored it, and others on this topic, up to now.

Actually, when you closed that thread, you told us “This Is fixed in the latest release”. You did not say “we have released a new API, we’re aware that it’s not entirely fixed so there will be new reports and we want to track these separately...”. 

So either the new API had been tested and you knew the issue wasn’t fixed or you hadn’t tested it and had no idea if it was fixed. Either way, you mislead us when you stated definitively that it was fixed.