This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incorrect distance syncing to Apple health

Despite my original thread now being closed with the text that:

"This was resolved in the latest version of the Garmin Connect App (4.24)"

Unfortunately I have updated to this version and whilst the original issue has been resolved there is still an issue with incorrect distance going to Apple Health in some cases.

Essentially, if only distance from the activity tracker is being synced then the distance data sent to Apple Health is correct.
However as soon as you log a run the distance is again incorrect, it looks like it is adding the run distance data twice or something.
For example, here are my stats from yesterday, a 10km run and 17,957 steps
When I look at the steps data I see this in Connect, 17.52 km for the combined 10km run and the distance
from steps.
However look at the data sent to Apple Health it is incorrect with 26.1km:
Which can be seen was synced from Garmin Connect to Apple:
The original forum post which is now closed reported this issue near the bottom of the logged comments:
As others have commented, the data is fine unless you log a run.
Also if you change type from run to walk and then re-sync then apparently the issue goes away (I haven't tried that)
Thanks

• I have a ticket open with support (Garmin Connect Mobile Case  - 78638) which I opened last year but all feedback seems to have stopped from Garmin after they told me to download the 4.25.2 version and recheck. 

I did this in early January and said yes the problem continues and sent back all new screen shots of the issue.

That was the last I have heard on the issue

• I just wanted to follow up on this one following Garmin's claims that this is fixed in 4.29.

Not only is the original bug isn't fixed - activity distance double-counted in total distance; and

The bug they then introduced which created duplicate entries still isn't fixed; and

...they've now made the situation worse because BIKE distances are now being included in Walking + Running Distance...oh, and they have duplicate entries also. So my 52.5km bike ride yesterday is counted in Walking + Running Distance...twice.

What an incompetent shambles. And to think some people are hoping that PulseOX, body battery, etc. will help them spot the early signs of COVID-19. When Garmin can't even get something as basic as this right, does anyone think any of those more complex calculations might be any better than random number generators?

• Matthew,

Any chance you know about how long we're looking until a fix is made, tested, and released? With the majority of us using our Garmin devices for exercise, and a high portion of that being running outdoors due to COVID-19, it's a big inconvenience for those of us that really like to track our data. 

I've had a Vivosmart HR and now a Fenix 5, but I'm really about to go back to wearing my Apple watch for the seamless integration....

• I laid out the math above.  I don't know exactly how the sync logic works (I am not a dev), but I am able to reproduce the incorrect distance values -- to the exact distance! -- by following the steps I laid out.

• Same problem here. Been going on for ages!

• I have the same problem except it happens with both running and walking activities. :( 

• Guys, please remember, you can rate the app on the app store. Smart thing to do is 1* them with reviews regarding their apple health bugs.

• Entered by mistake in the Fenix 6 section: a break down on the incorrect distance for yesterday:

forums.garmin.com/.../1052537

• I’ve found the here again, like the resting calories issue, the bug has been introduced on Feb 6 2020.

Checking in google I see version 4.27 for Android has been released around Feb 4.

So please dev team check the regression on the built which has been published around that date. I always upgrade GC the same date it’s released.

• I’m afraid this issue was present long before February. They certainly made it worse with that release, with the duplicate entries. But the double-count of distance has now been an issue for approximately 6 months.