This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SETUP ISSUE: Scale can pair, but timeout at connect to WiFi -- Kludge fix

I found setup of the Garmin scale to be a nightmare. I had no problem pairing the scale, but then the scale would timeout rather than connect to my home WiFi, so I could not complete the setup process.

Tech support was very patient and we tried: (1) an iOS phone; (2) an Android phone; (3) a Win 7 computer; and (4) a Win 10 computer. I have two different WiFi networks bridged together and it was the same for both routers. Finally, we tried removing the password from the router and that permitted me to complete setup.

Since the scale is now happily on my WiFi network, I probably can add the password back to the router, but would then have to disable the password again each time the scale needs to login to the network (e.g. after battery change or if the router lost power). Since that’s such a rare occurrence, this is not the worst kludge.

Just a head’s up in case anyone else runs into this and wants to save two hours on the phone with tech support!
  • I finally figured out my problem and it was my security settings. I set up my WiFi to allow only the MAC addresses of personal devices and computers. Since I cannot find a MAC address for the scale, my only option was to turn the security settings off, weigh myself, wait for the upload, and then turn security on again. It's a pain but it works.

Yeah, I started this thread and that was my fix also, although I never bothered turning security back on.

Did you have to turn security off just for the initial setup or for each and every upload?
  • I finally figured out my problem and it was my security settings. I set up my WiFi to allow only the MAC addresses of personal devices and computers. Since I cannot find a MAC address for the scale, my only option was to turn the security settings off, weigh myself, wait for the upload, and then turn security on again. It's a pain but it works.

I have the same setup in terms of only allowing network access to known MAC addresses. You can get the MAC by adding the scale via WPS .. I did this with my Apple Airport and it displayed the MAC onscreen so I could add it.
  • How to reset the scale ?

I connected the scale to a neighbours Wifi and now I cannot reset the scale. Ant+ and Bluetooth are not activated anymore. Taking out the batteries does not reset the scale either. Any idea
    how to access the scale again. Reading all the problems here I think I am going to return the scale.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    I had the same issue people are describing with WiFi setup not working. Suspecting it had something to do with the WiFi authentication, I changed the authentication method on my router from (mixed) WPA2/WPA Personal to (only) WPA2 Personal, and it worked. Hopefully this will save people some headaches and Garmin will investigate this issue.

Dude you saved my life!!
  • I'm having similar problems in July 2017, and I'm surprised there isn't more information available. I found a "fix" for my problem and thought I'd share it for the next poor soul.

I started with software V2.70. I was able to complete the setup, but the network communication from the scale to the server would never be successful. The troubleshooting documentation is lacking, so you might find this useful. The setup would say that it is complete. It took my wifi password and didn't complain. (I tried typing in the wrong password and did complain, so I knew I had the password right.) If I stood on the scale, the wifi symbol would blink. You have to remain there, even when the display blinks off for a bit. Eventually, the wifi symbol isn't blinking, but there is the dreaded "X" in the upper-right corner. The scale is actually on the wifi network, but can't communicate with the Garmin server.

There are lots of things that could be going wrong, and many are documented (for example, DNS issues), but for me, the problem was the router's firewall.

My Comcast Xfinity router has settings for Gateway->Firewall. I had it previously configured for "Typical Security (Medium)". Thanks to a post a stumbled across, I found that if I configured it for "Minimum Security (Low)", everything worked. I really don't like that solution, but as a compromise, I did slightly better by configuring for "Custom Security". I blocked ICMP, Multicast, IDENT (113), but I had to unblock peer-to-peer applications, which sucks. At least ICMP is blocked.

I thought that once I got it connected and received the latest software V3.00, I could go back to a better firewall configuration, but no such luck. I'm not a network expert, but none of my other devices/applications require this configuration. I think they need to hire better engineers, or at least train the ones they have.

BTW - I don't know how long it takes before the new software would automatically download over wifi. I was impatient and already had an ANT+ stick from an old watch, so I used Garmin Express to attach to the scale and it downloaded the new software during setup. Then my Garmin Connect on my phone didn't show the software anymore, so I just popped a battery out and in. When it boots up, the software version is briefly displayed on the scale.

What a pain in the rear. For a product that has been driving users crazy for years, they clearly aren't investing in making the experience better. I'm glad I have it working, but I'm very disappointed in the quality of the solution.
  • It would be useful as solution?
    https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...JfA3UJzJ9Jtgs9

or...
    http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-number/detail.php?q=garmin

UPDATE
    no good feedback for me! Mi index scale can't syncronize datas to my account.

I have investigated about the IP of my provider (TIM italia) and I found that ports that maybe use the index are blocked upstream and so even if I open them from my router, they can not communicate over the network. I do not know why!
    I will ask for information on my technical support
  • Same issue here, but I DID NOT solved it after three days of trying.

• Thank you for your experience. At the moment I can update my data using smartphone as hotspot wifi.
  • There are lots of things that could be going wrong, and many are documented (for example, DNS issues), but for me, the problem was the router's firewall.

Thank you. That pushed me in the right direction. Due to my network setup the scale can't be reached from outside. So I connect to the "outside wlan" and now I overcome the white wrench of death.

• Worked like a charm. You're my hero