This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Live Track Autostart not working

I've been using Autostart with LiveTrack for many months without problem. However, for no obvious reason it has suddenly stopped working. When I start a ride LiveTrack no longer automatically starts.

Starting LiveTrack manually works fine and I receive notifications from my phone on my 820 - all of which seems to eliminate any Bluetooth connectivity issues. Both phone (Android, Samsung S7 Edge) and 820 have the latest software installed.

Anyone had a similar issue, or, even better, know the cause and solution?
  • Seems like this happens to me when there is a new version or update to the Garmin Connect app. Auto start worked well until Garmin Connect version 4.15.1.2 installed itself on my iPhone. It has failed to successfully auto start Live Track most of the time since the update. I'll have to go back to starting manually again. I have a similar problem with the Incident Notification with the new version. I have two contacts set up, but the 820 tells me that I need to set up contacts. I have synced my 820 to Garmin Connect more than once. Oh well.
  • I am having the same problem with my 520, using the latest version of Garmin Connect and the latest version of IOS on an iPhone. The problem started 3-4 weeks ago and LiveTrack will simply not function. I thought the problem was with my settings on the various devices and am pleased to learn that the fault is not mine.

Garmin please "PULL YOUR FINGER OUT" and get this problem solved ASAP.

• I am seeing the same issue since the last garmin connect update: 1) always get a notification saying incident detection is disabled due to no contacts (even though I have 2) and 2) Live track fails each ride at auto start.
  • I have a 1030 that was working with Live Track and Incident Detection. Now Live Track has quit working (most of the time). I'm also getting notice that Incident Detection is disabled due to no contacts - it did originally work, and there are contacts. This latest round of 'improvements" and 'updates' seems to have broken a working system. Please correct this set of problems. Thank you.
  • Hi,
    I had the same issue on my 510 and managed to resolve it as follows:

Process / Procedure:
    1) switch Wi-Fi off on the phone
    2) open Garmin connect
    3) go to live tracking and set the "session name" to a new value for the day. (i.e. do not re-use the same session name more than once a day. I suffix my session with morning or evening or afternoon)
    4) switch on my Garmin and verify that it is connected to phone
    5) lock phone and store away for cycle (on body / pack)
    6) start ride on Garmin

Repeat for every new ride; this has worked for me over the last 4 weeks consistently.

Equipment:
    Phone: Huawei Nova 3i (Android v 8.1.0)
    Data: 4G/3G
    Garmin Connect: current version (auto update via Google Play Store)
    Garmin: 510 Edge (updated via Garmin Express)

Hope this works for you too...
  • I have a 1030 that was working with Live Track and Incident Detection. Now Live Track has quit working (most of the time). I'm also getting notice that Incident Detection is disabled due to no contacts - it did originally work, and there are contacts. This latest round of 'improvements" and 'updates' seems to have broken a working system. Please correct this set of problems. Thank you.

I've had similar issues with Incident Detection with it repeatedly telling me that it's been disabled because there are no contacts but I have 3 contacts. Started when Garmin made a change to the way contacts are obtained or held. I've just had a serious go at trying to sort out what's going on and went repeatedly in and out of the related settings on the Garmin 1030 and the iPhone app. Finally, it's started popping up a message on the 1030 saying Incident Detection is enabled each time I leave the Incident Detection setup screen on the app, so I'm guessing it has got itself sorted out. Garmin seem to be spectacularly unsuccessful in keeping their software stable and it is SO FRUSTRATING when the inevitable response from Support is to reset the device and update the software, which never fixes anything in my experience. Why don't they learn to pick up on the genuine issues and get them referred to the developers? Why don't Garmin development implement some better software quality controls? We're not talking here about minor unexpected knock-on effects from changes but significant directly related failures that should be picked up straight away during testing. I've been involved in software all my life and have never seen such obvious failures as Garmin's across software produced as firmware for devices, apps for mobile and web browser.
  • spoke to Garmin 3 times this week, each time briefly getting LiveTrack working and then it stopped the next day on my Garmin 1030 and my iPhone X. They finally admitted to me that they think the problem is with Apple's iOS update v12. What astounds me is that they had plenty of beta test time to find and resolve the problem.

So here is the current solution, essentially Mikele64 is correct, on the Garmin Mobile App 'Connect', do the following to set yourself up for the manual start to LiveTrack to at least get the process to work.. as the Auto Start option fails with iOS 12 on the iPhones.

Try these steps on an Apple iOS phone

1. Bottom Right menu click the 3 dots 'More' option
    2. Click 'Safety & Tracking'
    3. Click 'LiveTrack'
    4. Turn off 'Auto Start' button so it's not Green in color
    5. Turn off 'Share Web Link' 'Email' toggle so it's not Green in color
    6. Click the 3 dots menu in the upper right corner of this screen and click on 'LiveTrack Data & Privacy'
    7. At the bottom of the page click the red 'Revoke Consent'
    8. Go back one screen and select 'Incident Detection' and swipe left on any listed Emergency Contacts to remove them so there are none listed.
    9. Go back to the main 'More' Screen and click 'Contacts' remove any contact people you have listed by swiping left and clicking the red 'Remove' so there are no Contacts listed.
    10. Exit the 'Connect' App and swipe up to remove but not delete the app.
    11. Restart your iOS device.
    12. Reload the 'Connect' app
    13. Go back in to the 'More' menu and add your Contacts you want again.
    14.The go back into 'Safety & Tracking' and add your contacts to 'Incident Detection'
    15. Go back one screen and select 'LiveTrack' and then turn on Share Web Link 'Email' and add those you want to notify from your just recently added 'Contacts' to get the 'LiveTrack' email.
    DO NOT TURN ON 'AUTO START' (Until Garmin fixes this issue, it won't work consistantly).

NOW FOR YOUR RIDE:
    With the 'Connect' app loaded go to the 'Live Track' screen when you are ready to head out for a ride... at the bottom of the screen you will see 'Start Live Track' in blue at the bottom of the screen... press it and put your phone away with the 'Connect' app loaded, assuming your Bluetooth is active you will turn on your Garmin and when it is ready and has GPS signal start your ride.... YOU WILL NOTICE A Non-Blue right arrow/pause symbol on the screen... press the 'start' button on your Garmin and 'Live Track' should start and send the email notification to your selected contacts. This will also post an email to your selected Emergency Contacts you set up again if you have a crash... but don't crash... ok? Good!

OK, hope that works for you.
  • spoke to Garmin 3 times this week, each time briefly getting LiveTrack working and then it stopped the next day on my Garmin 1030 and my iPhone X. They finally admitted to me that they think the problem is with Apple's iOS update v12. What astounds me is that they had plenty of beta test time to find and resolve the problem.

So here is the current solution, essentially Mikele64 is correct, on the Garmin Mobile App 'Connect', do the following to set yourself up for the manual start to LiveTrack to at least get the process to work.. as the Auto Start option fails with iOS 12 on the iPhones.

Try these steps on an Apple iOS phone

1. Bottom Right menu click the 3 dots 'More' option
    2. Click 'Safety & Tracking'
    3. Click 'LiveTrack'
    4. Turn off 'Auto Start' button so it's not Green in color
    5. Turn off 'Share Web Link' 'Email' toggle so it's not Green in color
    6. Click the 3 dots menu in the upper right corner of this screen and click on 'LiveTrack Data & Privacy'
    7. At the bottom of the page click the red 'Revoke Consent'
    8. Go back one screen and select 'Incident Detection' and swipe left on any listed Emergency Contacts to remove them so there are none listed.
    9. Go back to the main 'More' Screen and click 'Contacts' remove any contact people you have listed by swiping left and clicking the red 'Remove' so there are no Contacts listed.
    10. Exit the 'Connect' App and swipe up to remove but not delete the app.
    11. Restart your iOS device.
    12. Reload the 'Connect' app
    13. Go back in to the 'More' menu and add your Contacts you want again.
    14.The go back into 'Safety & Tracking' and add your contacts to 'Incident Detection'
    15. Go back one screen and select 'LiveTrack' and then turn on Share Web Link 'Email' and add those you want to notify from your just recently added 'Contacts' to get the 'LiveTrack' email.
    DO NOT TURN ON 'AUTO START' (Until Garmin fixes this issue, it won't work consistantly).

NOW FOR YOUR RIDE:
    With the 'Connect' app loaded go to the 'Live Track' screen when you are ready to head out for a ride... at the bottom of the screen you will see 'Start Live Track' in blue at the bottom of the screen... press it and put your phone away with the 'Connect' app loaded, assuming your Bluetooth is active you will turn on your Garmin and when it is ready and has GPS signal start your ride.... YOU WILL NOTICE A Non-Blue right arrow/pause symbol on the screen... press the 'start' button on your Garmin and 'Live Track' should start and send the email notification to your selected contacts. This will also post an email to your selected Emergency Contacts you set up again if you have a crash... but don't crash... ok? Good!

OK, hope that works for you.

Dear wwclick,
    thank you very much for your workaround, which helped to solve the issue. I have a brand new Edge 830 with iPhone 6S, and it needed a lot of persuasion to spent so much money for this decoce. A final buying decision was the accident detection and live track, as I am riding alone most of the time.
    Of course I would be even more happy to hear I can turn on the "auto start" when Garmin has solved the issue.
    I hope I stay tuned as I just signed in here.
    Safe rides all times
  • same issue live track not working sends text message but informs activity not started using 1030 firmware 7:30 iPhone x 12.2 ios live track been working fine until the last 4 plus weeks not sure from the last firmware update or not.

Garmin support reinstall the app but I have tried that and reset locations in iPhone still not working
  • Still not working, even worse than before. Does not even Autostart anymore, the version before it started but did not send mails (which is pretty useless also). A real shame.