This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

reoccurring distance alert

I have been trying to get a reoccurring 500m alert but have had no success, this has been the case from when I first purchased the watch about a month ago. It should be so simple but following the guidance does not work for me. Has anyone come across this?

• I have alerts at every 100m and it works perfect.

Note that only vibrating alert is useful, you have no chance to hear any beep underwater. For some people vibrating is too weak, but for me it is ok (I would be happy with a stronger vibration, but in most cases I can feel it even in choppy water)

• Thanks, that is re assuring. I am mystified I have set the alert and made sure it is on and the sounds are on too but nothing appears to happen. I feel vibrations at other times but not with the 500m alert. At the start I set a single alert and that worked now there does not appear to be single alerts available having updated the software  version. I am trying to get Garmin to help but it has been going on for nearly a month now.

• I can confirm that I'm not getting distance alerts when set for 500 yards (20 lengths).

I wonder if the problem is related to the length count not being updated.

• Thanks for this feed back. I had thought it was my user error. I have been trying to get Garmin to recognise this issue but they now  just ignore my request to resolve the issue. I will give them a call to see if I have any more success. 

• I made a quick test now at dry land.

With units set to metric, 33 1/3 pool, distance alert does work with whatever length is given. With 20 lengths (666m), 10 lengths (333m) and 1 length (33m)

With units set to statute, 25 yard pool, alert set to 20 lengths (500yards), I did not get alert at 20, not even until 24. But alert set to 1 (25yards) I got the alert at every length change.

With open water swim, for me alerts at every 100m does work.

It seems that at some special settings combination the alert does not work. Make some dry testing (shake the watch imitating strokes and turns), check what works and what not. At Garmin support if you do not explain your problem thoroughly, they will not accept your ticket, just answer with ***. Your case seems to be well hidden, your description was NOT ENOUGH for proper troubleshooting! We even do not know if you are talking about pool or OW swims! Describe them all of your relevant settings, otherways they will try with their default settings what does work. Even if they ask for Garmin folder, some support guys DO NOT CHECK it properly, and keep asking basic information.

NOTES:

- "Lengths" count not updated has nothing to do with that. As I see, "Lengths" counter increases at every 12 lengths, "Interval lengths" counter is correct, so the watch does count the turns

- Distance alert counting does restart at every lap. So if you push the lap button at 19 lengths, you will NOT get alert at the next turn! (if the alert is set at 20 lengths)

• Based on @PG's comment, I tried setting the distance alert to 10 lengths (250 yards). That worked perfectly. So 20 lengths doesn't work but 10 lengths does. I don't know if there's something magic about 20, or if the bug manifests for all distances above a certain value. I might experiment to try and find out, but for now I'll probably just stick with 10 lengths. It's not ideal, but I can work with it.

• Thanks for the feed back, I will try a different number of lengths and see what happens. It seems they have an issue with the distance alerts. It would be helpful if they admitted to them and updated the software to rectify.

• Thanks for this comprehensive checking. I have re set mine for 10 lengths 250m and will see what happens. I had a 30 min call earlier in the week to try and resolve this and have provided a Garmin folder but you are right I don’t think they really look into the matter. Bigger problems to resolve I guess! I wont give up and eventually they will update the software to resolve this matter. Like you I think it is a question of what settings you have switched on. I had used the lap button on occasions so the will have upset it.  Interestingly I have had an alert at 1,500m on one occasion and at 2,500m on another, multiples of my 500m alert. 

• I want the very same 500meters and a bleep,  I have tried on numerous times but can not change the 457, guess its meters or maybe yards. This is really annoying especially in open water.  CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE  IT.