This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

swim 2 bug reports

Just to make things much clearer (and remove user error part of my first post...) I reedited this opening post, and made a summary of the bugs in SW version 2.10. For more detailed descriptions, see later posts. Please contact Garmin support as well with your discovered bug. I consider this forum as a knowledge base for users, but sometimes Garmin support reads it as well:

(last edit 07.01.2020)

- if stopping and resuming pool swim recording while auto rest function is on, and in auto rest detected state (black background), the auto rest function does weird things (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta it is definitely corrected)

- Sleep tracking - REM sleep is not recorded - honestly I do not use activity tracking, but for the two tracked sleeps I did not see REM either (in 2.20 beta REM is recorded)

- HR zones can be set only for swimming but not bike/run/cardio

- auto lap can be set for OW swim only for 0.5 km or miles, can not be changed to individual distances

- In history, when browsing intervals, first page correct (intervals 1-4), then next is intervals 5-8, but if you browse up to 1-4 and back to 5-8 it changes to intervals 4-7. You still can browse between 1-4 and 4-7. If you browse further down, suddenly you lose the first 4 intervals. But it depends of the actual number of intervals, and the interval history can go a bit mad. (very similar issue can be read for Forerunner 45 as well, see FR45 forum, bug reports after 3.10)

- last length pace data field displayed 0.01 during swim. (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta corrected)

- Auto-rest + count-down not creating intervals (Garmin recommends to NOT use countdown and autorest feature together - see online documentation)

- Personal record saving do not support 33 and 1/3m pools. With 33 and 1/3m pools, 3 lengths are not considered as 100m, but something very close, but not EXACTLY 100m. Wth this bug the watch can not recognize the laps as exact lengths, causing not record saving.

- extrem long interval appearing. This might be connected to auto rest, but not really sure. Really rare issue, but annoying when happens. Fault reproduction is not possible so far.

- auto lock does not work

- backlight control is faulty. "During activity" and "not during activity" are not separate options, they are connected somewhat. You either turn off backlight completely or turn it on completely, but can not separate the behavior depending on activity or watch mode.

- Open water swim can be saved only in case an extra LAP is recorded.
If you start an open water swim, and do not use the LAP button, only a start, and at the end a stop, the activity can not be saved or discarded. Every try of saving/discarding results in an immediate restart, the watch resumes back to the activity. The only way to end this loop is to press the LAP button (new lap started), and after that the activity can be saved/discarded. I did not test it with auto lap feature.  

I found this bug in 2.20 beta

• Hi PG, thanks for the quick reply and first of all: Happy New Year to you!...same to Garmin and everybody else in the blog :-). 

I actually did already as you suggested and I can confirm that in my case the initial accuracy of my swim time is spot on as well; e.g. the time that I get when the watch switches to rest mode is constantly within 2 sec of my real swim time (respectively pool clock time). I tested this 20+ times and I’m very happy with that. Pressing the lap button manually would easily take me the same time, eventually even more. 

I therefore do trust the auto rest function, which I consider a core function of the watch. Otherwise any stopwatch would do (I can see why you lap manually in a crowded lane, though). My issue is exclusively with the calculation afterwards. I still don’t get why the Swim 2 seems to ‘reconsider’ the initial calculation a couple of seconds upon arrival which leads to the added 6-10 seconds. 

Strangely enough the additional time is added to different lengths of the pool (4x25m in my case), so I couldn’t tell where in the recalculation the error occurs or what I need to do to avoid it (initial push of the wall, turns, stroke recognition, last wall, etc.).   

• Two more bugs added:

- auto lock does not work

- backlight control is faulty. "During activity" and "not during activity" are not separate options, they are connected somewhat. You either turn off backlight completely or turn it on completely, but can not separate the behavior depending on activity or watch mode.

• Yes, I can confirm the backlight control weirdness

• Hi there to all!

I've been using the watch for about a week and I can confirm a few of the bugs as well. The SW version is 2.10. Although it's said that beta 2.20 solves a few things, I haven't tried as I haven't found how to upgrade to this version yet. The bugs I've noticed are

- Last length pace displaying 0:01 or even 0:00. Noticed this when swam one length (25 m) and pressed the lap button, therefore having an interval of 25 m with one length of 25 m. Interval pace it's shown properly, but not last length. And, in this case, both should be equal. Shouldn't they?

- Also last length strokes seemed to be twice as many as they should. (I'm not sure if this is actually a thing as I haven't paid atention to it again)

I commented about this to Garmin support just trying to know whether this things were a known problem, but the guy told me that they have no reports about any of these. However, later I noticed interaction of Garmin support in the forum (this and other thread), making them obviously aware of these things. So I don't understand why I was told that they had no reports. Communication issues within them???

- On the history screens after saving a swim session also does that of showing everything ok the first time you browse intervals, but then messes it up if you go back and forth.

-I've been having extra lengths and then missing them ocassionally, as well. I've used the first Garmin Swim for several years (now I wanted to upgrade) and during the first few months the watch would miss or add lengths. So I had to be careful not to increase or decrease too much my pace during a lenght as this would trigger a change in length count, but it was fixed at some point with a software upgrade. I was expecting that the software and/or the data process of the sensors of this new watch were at least as good as the first Garmin Swim.

I just hope that enough of us report all the bugs so they can fix them as soon as possible. I wonder if there is a way so we users can give specific details about any problems. Like a "Report a bug" button either in the app or in the website. I guess this way they could collect better feedback.

Anyway... let's hope they issue an update soon to fix the bugs.

Edit: 

I found the beta files and that we can email complainig about bugs :)

• Hi XHAVALOST…unfortunately the firmware of the Swim2 is still quite buggy as you’ve already seen in this and the other groups, as well as experienced yourself. At least the last length pace issue was solved with 2.20 Beta (see PG's note).

That has not been the case for some of the other mayor bugs, though. Related to the effects that you’re describing Swim2 currently has major issues with interval timing, stroke type recognition and turn detection (in particular with open turns, flip turns have better recognition in my experience). You may be seeing wrong times, lengths and stroke counts as a result of that.  

I do not have a Swim1, so I can’t say much regarding future updates. Personally, I’ve decided to stay positive and keep the watch. However Garmin has still a long way to go with this watch IMHO.

• Hi TSMaN!!

I do believe beta 2.20 will still have bugs haha. I updated the watch few minutes ago and the distance this week doubled up with no apparent reason. Going through the last pool swim widget everything is even weirder. You can see how first it says "This week 8400 m", but then says "This week 4225 m", but the sum of 1100, 1600 and 1500 is 4200.... So ... more bugs :( 

Anyway, I stay positive as well. I really believe they will debug everything soon. They did so with the previous model :) 

• Hi again XHAVALOST…yes, I'm afraid there are a number of those kind of bugs too. Not sure if they have been reported. My hope is that the main issues get fixed first.

As for other bugs, another one is heart rate zones. See screenshot below. Besides only working in swim mode, time splits are off and as a result I spent over 150% (!) of my time in heart rate zones 3-5 alone.....

• In 2.20 beta

Open water swim can be saved only in case an extra LAP is recorded.
    If you start an open water swim, and do not use the LAP button, only a start, and at the end a stop, the activity can not be saved or discarded. Every try of saving/discarding results in an immediate restart, the watch resumes back to the activity. The only way to end this loop is to press the LAP button (new lap started), and after that the activity can be saved/discarded. I did not test it with auto lap feature. 

• I agree. The REM sleep bug and Open Water swim bug are what I experienced..  I've completed a couple of open water swims.  Without using the Lap function on Open Water swims the swim is not saved on the watch.  In Garmin Connect the open water swims are saved, but not on the Swim 2.

Additionally, the Heart Rate Level does not work for swims.

• Mine is saving my open water swims but then not transferring them to the app when synced. I went for a bike ride and it’s logging that without issues. Is anyone else getting that?