This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

swim 2 bug reports

Just to make things much clearer (and remove user error part of my first post...) I reedited this opening post, and made a summary of the bugs in SW version 2.10. For more detailed descriptions, see later posts. Please contact Garmin support as well with your discovered bug. I consider this forum as a knowledge base for users, but sometimes Garmin support reads it as well:

(last edit 07.01.2020)

- if stopping and resuming pool swim recording while auto rest function is on, and in auto rest detected state (black background), the auto rest function does weird things (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta it is definitely corrected)

- Sleep tracking - REM sleep is not recorded - honestly I do not use activity tracking, but for the two tracked sleeps I did not see REM either (in 2.20 beta REM is recorded)

- HR zones can be set only for swimming but not bike/run/cardio

- auto lap can be set for OW swim only for 0.5 km or miles, can not be changed to individual distances

- In history, when browsing intervals, first page correct (intervals 1-4), then next is intervals 5-8, but if you browse up to 1-4 and back to 5-8 it changes to intervals 4-7. You still can browse between 1-4 and 4-7. If you browse further down, suddenly you lose the first 4 intervals. But it depends of the actual number of intervals, and the interval history can go a bit mad. (very similar issue can be read for Forerunner 45 as well, see FR45 forum, bug reports after 3.10)

- last length pace data field displayed 0.01 during swim. (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta corrected)

- Auto-rest + count-down not creating intervals (Garmin recommends to NOT use countdown and autorest feature together - see online documentation)

- Personal record saving do not support 33 and 1/3m pools. With 33 and 1/3m pools, 3 lengths are not considered as 100m, but something very close, but not EXACTLY 100m. Wth this bug the watch can not recognize the laps as exact lengths, causing not record saving.

- extrem long interval appearing. This might be connected to auto rest, but not really sure. Really rare issue, but annoying when happens. Fault reproduction is not possible so far.

- auto lock does not work

- backlight control is faulty. "During activity" and "not during activity" are not separate options, they are connected somewhat. You either turn off backlight completely or turn it on completely, but can not separate the behavior depending on activity or watch mode.

- Open water swim can be saved only in case an extra LAP is recorded.
If you start an open water swim, and do not use the LAP button, only a start, and at the end a stop, the activity can not be saved or discarded. Every try of saving/discarding results in an immediate restart, the watch resumes back to the activity. The only way to end this loop is to press the LAP button (new lap started), and after that the activity can be saved/discarded. I did not test it with auto lap feature.  

I found this bug in 2.20 beta

• New bug found:

In history, when browsing intervals, first page correct (intervals 1-4), then next is intervals 5-8, but if you browse up to 1-4 and back to 5-8 it changes to intervals 4-7. You still can browse between 1-4 and 4-7. If you browse further down, suddenly you lose the first 4 intervals. But it depends of the actual number of intervals, and the interval history can go a bit mad.

Actually it is not a big deal to check the history on the watch, as it is much better on GC, but this bug is still annoying. 

• Another one:

Todays swim fit file is not recognized by strava (could be strava fault though, GC can display it), but the .tcx export contains ONLY HR data! Not only for this activity, but for all recorded with Swim 2

Trackpoints look like this:

<Trackpoint>
                <Time>2019-11-22T18:45:50.000Z</Time>
                <HeartRateBpm>
                  <Value>72</Value>
                </HeartRateBpm>
                <Extensions>
                  <ns3:TPX/>
                </Extensions>
              </Trackpoint>

Usual trackpoint data from FR910XT looks like this

<Trackpoint>
                <Time>2019-11-11T17:13:04.000Z</Time>
                <DistanceMeters>66.0</DistanceMeters>
                <Extensions>
                  <ns3:TPX>
                    <ns3:Speed>0.4869999885559082</ns3:Speed>
                  </ns3:TPX>
                </Extensions>
              </Trackpoint>

You can see, distance is missing from the Trackpoint!

• Last length pace, taken from the Swim 2 manual, is:

The average pace for your last completed pool length.

So, what this means is that this metric is updated every time you successfully complete a length. So, for example, in a 25 meters pool, if do the 25 meters in 30 secs, then the last length pace should be 2.00 mins/100 meters.

The problem is that this is not recorded in the activity log, which is pretty reasonable, since it is updated every time you complete a pool length. So in essence it is something like the current speed, but since it as pool and the gps is not active it can only be updated once per length.

Other garmin watches display this correctly, but the swim 2 doesn't seem to do. Let's hope they fix it soon, because it is really useful (at least for me)

• FR945 got the pool swim features (in public beta 3.77), including auto rest. In that they already corrected the auto rest bug when activity is stopped/resumed. I hope that swim 2 gets the correction soon.

• Personal record saving do not support 33 and 1/3m pools. With 33 and 1/3m pools, 3 lengths are not considered as 100m, but something very close, but not EXACTLY 100m. Wth this bug the watch can not recognize the laps as exact lengths, causing not record saving.

• I am using Swim 2 for two weeks now and main two bugs are absence of REM sleep measurement and incorrect swim detection:

• butterfly detected as backstroke
    • backstroke detected as breaststroke or freestyle
    • swimming backstroke or breaststroke distance is registered longer than actual

Others: it also often has gaps in continuous HR graph, and I am sure I have it tightly on my wrist.

In comparison to Polar Ignite, a cheaper and even non-swim focused watch I used, Polar does not have these bugs. And also their iphone app and webapp noticeably faster and more detailed/informative/functional.

• Another bug: the only way to get the backlight permanently on during activity is to disable timeout for both "not during activity" and "during activity"

• I've been using my Swm 2 since Christmas with pretty much the same bug pattern:

• butterfly detected as backstroke
    • backstroke detected as breaststroke or freestyle

I may be wrong with this, but my impression is that stroke type recognition is triggered very early within a lap (while pushing off the wall or within first few meters), so if I'm still positioned sideways or even slightly backwards out of the turn then recognition fails..

• swimming backstroke or breaststroke distance is registered longer than actual

Same here, too. In my case, other then for freestyle, sometimes the watch misses the turns completely (may be related). Therefore I get wrong times/distances when swimming ***- or backstroke.   

• Thanks PG. Related to the above I also see a bug in total interval time calculation even if the swim interval was determined correctly in the first place (auto rest on / running 2.20 beta). In my case start and last wall recognition is pretty good (at least in freestyle); e.g. the switch from swim to rest screen is within ∿2 seconds. Can’t complain about that. However, after a few seconds of rest, some additional 6-10 seconds get added to the swim interval. This happens even if I leave the hand at the wall. In numbers, when swimming 1:30ish / 100m intervals I end up with recorded swim times of around 1:40. 

• You can evaluate the auto rest interval time calculation accuracy with an other watch or stopwatch. I made a short test dry, and for me it always calculated the right time. Note, that the watch does not recognize the start of the lap/interval immediately, it continuously performs calculations if you are moving or resting. So the interval seconds do not start at zero, and what you see right at the stop is not carved in stone. After a while, the watch can recognize the actual stopping time, subtract the real starting time. 

I know, it is really frustrating when you see that you swam a good time, and see that the watch corrects it afterwards to the "wrong" direction. If you don't trust the auto rest function, switch it off, and time your intervals manually. You will see if the watch is right or you. I do not say that auto rest times are always correct, but for me they seem to be spot on most of the times. I switch between auto rest off and on, depending on my actual swim and the number of people in the lane.