This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

swim 2 bug reports

Just to make things much clearer (and remove user error part of my first post...) I reedited this opening post, and made a summary of the bugs in SW version 2.10. For more detailed descriptions, see later posts. Please contact Garmin support as well with your discovered bug. I consider this forum as a knowledge base for users, but sometimes Garmin support reads it as well:

(last edit 07.01.2020)

- if stopping and resuming pool swim recording while auto rest function is on, and in auto rest detected state (black background), the auto rest function does weird things (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta it is definitely corrected)

- Sleep tracking - REM sleep is not recorded - honestly I do not use activity tracking, but for the two tracked sleeps I did not see REM either (in 2.20 beta REM is recorded)

- HR zones can be set only for swimming but not bike/run/cardio

- auto lap can be set for OW swim only for 0.5 km or miles, can not be changed to individual distances

- In history, when browsing intervals, first page correct (intervals 1-4), then next is intervals 5-8, but if you browse up to 1-4 and back to 5-8 it changes to intervals 4-7. You still can browse between 1-4 and 4-7. If you browse further down, suddenly you lose the first 4 intervals. But it depends of the actual number of intervals, and the interval history can go a bit mad. (very similar issue can be read for Forerunner 45 as well, see FR45 forum, bug reports after 3.10)

- last length pace data field displayed 0.01 during swim. (seems that in FR945 public beta 3.77 corrected, in Swim2 2.20 beta corrected)

- Auto-rest + count-down not creating intervals (Garmin recommends to NOT use countdown and autorest feature together - see online documentation)

- Personal record saving do not support 33 and 1/3m pools. With 33 and 1/3m pools, 3 lengths are not considered as 100m, but something very close, but not EXACTLY 100m. Wth this bug the watch can not recognize the laps as exact lengths, causing not record saving.

- extrem long interval appearing. This might be connected to auto rest, but not really sure. Really rare issue, but annoying when happens. Fault reproduction is not possible so far.

- auto lock does not work

- backlight control is faulty. "During activity" and "not during activity" are not separate options, they are connected somewhat. You either turn off backlight completely or turn it on completely, but can not separate the behavior depending on activity or watch mode.

- Open water swim can be saved only in case an extra LAP is recorded.
If you start an open water swim, and do not use the LAP button, only a start, and at the end a stop, the activity can not be saved or discarded. Every try of saving/discarding results in an immediate restart, the watch resumes back to the activity. The only way to end this loop is to press the LAP button (new lap started), and after that the activity can be saved/discarded. I did not test it with auto lap feature.  

I found this bug in 2.20 beta

• Some more thoughts:

- bluetooth is painfully slow. Thats why sync via BLE takes about 10-15 minutes for 1 pool swim. Phone connection is ok, but e.g. watch face settings time out. Sync and settings change are better via cable.

- I think that the "forgotten" lengths were deleted by the watch because it did dot add the last laps to the sum. I mean last lapS, so it refused to connect them to the main swim log. I tried several buttons, waiting time, etc., nothing worked.

• I played around with auto rest a bit more, and for me it seems that stopping and resuming in case of auto rest screws up things. It can go in a strange loop, where lap button do not work any more, drill log is changed (starting with lap, stopping with stop button), and the data fields also change randomly. According to the yesterdays experience, the whole log is handled different.

The only real solution for that is to stop (discard or save) the activity, and start a new one.

So for the Garmin development team, check around auto rest activity stop/start function, you have a BIG BUG there!

• You need to contact Garmin Support directly.

But to be honest, a lot of this reads like a lack of familiarity with the watch,

• Thanks, I already did.

Maybe I am not used to this watch. But I can easily reproduce the issue with stop/start during auto rest. It is not unfamiliarity, but a bug. I also found a remedy, but that does not mean, that the actual SW version is usable. It is still a beta...

Also it is interesting to have only 0.5 km option as an auto lap function for OW swim, NOT configurable. For a SWIM SPECIFIC watch...

• We wanted to provide a couple of links regarding the auto rest feature on the Swim 2. Those can be found here and here.

We welcome feedback as there certainly may be a learning curve when using a new device, but this does not mean there are not things we can look into and improve upon. If there are any areas where we can provide clarification, we are more than willing to do that. 

• Thanks. I read and understood all the features of auto rest before my purchase. That links contain necessary information, but unfortunately that does not help here.

To be honest, without the auto rest feature the watch showed correct (or acceptable) data, and it is a really good watch for the purpose. I can also use auto rest feature, as I know exactly how to avoid the bug.

The issue is, that in case of "auto rest" on, AND auto rest is detected (so screen is black), pressing the stop (upper right) button, and pressing the same button again (resume swim), the watch goes into a not defined state. So starting lap manually does not work, starting drill log does not work, and some other functions do not work.

In case of this weird state, if you start swimming, go out of rest detected (so screen greys out), push stop/resume again (right upper button), you can jerk the watch back to its normal state, and recording, auto rest function is working again. 

Unfortunately in my first swim I managed to run into this situation, because with my old FR910XT it was a well working feature to stop recording if I wanted to come out of the water for a while. I know, with Swim 2 it is quite unnecessary action because of the rest laps. And as in that weird state things started to go crazy, it looked like the watch is full of bugs. I have to admit, there is ONLY ONE MINOR BUG, causing all the trouble. It is still a bug, no user error, and can cause some frustration among the users.

I already sent email to the support address, but as I see, this forum is read by the support as well, so I repeat the steps to reproduce the issue here:

- set auto rest on

- start a pool swim

- check that everything is working correctly, lap button works, drill log works, auto rest works

- stop, wait until watch goes into rest detected mode (screen black)

- press stop button (upper right)

- resume swim, upper right button again

- check that lap button does not work, drill log does not work (auto rest function seems to work though, with some limitations)

- this is the bug

Remedy 1)

- while watch is in wrong state, start swimming (or wave arms, etc), wait until watch detects moving, screen greys out

- press stop button (upper right), while screen is grey (NOT black!)

- resume swim with upper right button again

- check that everything is working correctly, lap button works, drill log works

Remedy 2)

- do NOT touch the stop button unless you want to save your swim :)

I hope that this description explains all of my concerns, and helps for creating the correction.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to PG

Thank you 2950296 for the detailed report. 

I am experiencing the exact same issue. 

Also, Auto Rest does not work well when Countdown Start is on. 

Other issues I am having -

Pool Swim - Pace 0.01 (I wish I could swim that fast)

Sleep tracking - REM sleep is not recorded

Sleep tracking - Not accurate, random starts and stops

Connection - last three days,  needed to pair with the phone (iphone 11) every morning.

Other than these issues, it is a nice watch!

• Thanks for confirmation.

- I also do not see REM sleep, I thought that it is individual issue. I can not really imagine how can they decide between the sleep stages. Between deep and light it is ok with HR, but for REM?

- I checked the pace alerts, for me 0.01 is not allowed, somewhere at 0.50 it is limited.

Other things what I already reported to Garmin:

- HR zones can be set only for swimming but not bike/run/cardio

- auto lap can be set for OW swim only for 0.5 km or miles, can not be changed to individual distances

And yes, I also think that it is a nice watch. To my surprise OHR measurement seems to be quite spot on, even in water.

• I confirm the last length pace is 0.01 (almost every time). I contacted garmin but they don't seem to have look into it yet.

• Could you be more specific, please? I thought that this is about pace alerts, but now I understand that it is the calculated pace of one length. In my activities I do not have such thing, beside the occasional false turn detection (seems to be my fault), where the calculated pace goes fast.

connect.garmin.com/.../4275690992

What settings do you use to have this fault?

BTW, the total pace calculation seems to be off, maybe drills are not counted? Strava has the right calculation though.