Map update stuck in download queue

With my Forerunner 965 I think I am hitting the Map Manager Issue reported in this closed thread: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/311253/maps-manager-bug#pifragment-1279=4

My Forerunner 965 runs 17.26 and I have installed TopoActive Europe via Garmin Express which installed version 2023.10 and reported all Map are up to date. After the Install the Watch reports 16.5 GB storage left. According to https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=LR6HR5Xul6A9zoxySC5KM9 2023.10 is the current version of the Map however the Map Manager on the Watch says there is an update available and when I try to install it it remains in queued state.  

Answering the questions requested by Garmin support in the closed thread linked above:

1: Does your watch's Map Manager show "Update Available", but Garmin Express indicates that the maps are already up to date?

Yes

2: Does your watch's Map Manager show that an update is "Queued", but the update fails?

No

3: Are you experiencing something different? If so, please explain:

The watch's Map Manager shows that an update in "Queued" and is stuck there.

4: If necessary, may we have permission to reach out via email?

Yes

5: If necessary, may we have access to your Connect account?

Yes

6: In which country are you located?

Germany

• I want to make sure we aren't confusing issues. The topic of this thread is regarding Map Manager on the device showing that an update is available or queued, when the maps are already up to date. We are still investigating this disruption.

If your device is getting stuck at a certain percentage when attempting to update or download something (or plugging into charge), that is different. Feel free to create a new thread, but it would be preferable if you contact Product Support directly if you haven't already, so we can get it officially reported as well. 

• yes. you can email me as i am having the same issue where it says maps queue but i can't download it as it gets stuck via wifi

• I wanted to ask the same question but I found that the watch has to be connected to a charger before it starts to download (no clue why that is, since firmware updates are being proposed @10% battery life.) Mine was @16 proces when I plugged it out. After clearing the queue as a possible solution I found that it started downloading right after I plugged it in. It takes ages though.

• When you connect your watch to the charger then it's realatively likely your'e at home and have WIFi connection, so this is the trigger. You don't have to connect it to the charger though, you can go to Settings > System > Software Update > Check for updates to trigger it manually at any time

• That's not what I saw today. What I did:

After the software update I took my phone off the charger. Browsing through the settings I saw that the TopActive map was queud so I tried to remove it from the queue, which wasn't working ("Remove map from download queue?" Select the green tick) the I chose the "Add map" option which gives me the following message:

"Map download inprogress. Cancel all current downloads? All current progress will be lost."

Then it empties the queue. When I select "Add map" it shows me that the topoActive Map for euope isn't in the downlaodable list. When returning I'm seeing it in the queue again.

Now I select remove from queue and select the green tick again. After which the queue is emptied. Now when I select "Add Map" it says "Searching for Wi-Fi Networks" and when it finishes I can select "TopoActive Europe". When selecting download the device tells me that it will be downloaded once the watch is being plugged in (did it just now and couldn't see the exact message)

So there: it needs to be plugged in :-)

• (Afster plugging in  it says "Start map download?" and it's downloading again, VERY slowly even though I've got a gigabit connection and full ubiquity wifi. 

Edit: after disconnecting the device it does keep downloading @2% now. I'm just wondering if it keeps downloading once the screen shuts down.

• Let's hope. The whole reason I'm here in this topic is because the Garmin Ski map download was stuck at 96%

• My current workaround is canceling the download. It then says "shutting down downloads" after which I turn off my watch by holding the power button for 15 seconds. Then I turn my watch on and it offers to conitue the download. I'm at 38 % now. I'm not sure if I'm being too impatient though. But it was hanging on 30% for about half an hour.

Edit: it finished after I repeated the proces at 40% and took a few hours. I now have the Europ maps. For people that want to do this after buying a new FR965: I think you should best do this when connected and charching it for the first time. I'm just now sure wheather it finishes the download on its own.