This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High Heart Rate

Hey all, 

I had a two runs in the past week, with the last one happening last evening on a fairly easy run. My Heartrate should have averaged something in the high 140's with a max maybe in the 160's. However, at some point there was a change in my watch where the heart rate spiked up to 200's and 210's, with the lows being high 190's.

Nothing changed with the way I wore my watch and no change in effort. 

Has anyone else had this happen and had a way to fix it? 

• I am frustrated. We can call it whatever we like (Cadence lock etc.) but it is a firmware problem. Have a look at my latest run. Half of the activity it stays like glued in the 129-130 region (which I am sure is already false, since my HR is normally higher) and then suddenly with no reason it jumps to 170 and stays around 165-170 for all my remaining activity. I have used FR945 before and I have never seen anything like this on my old watch. If this is not solved, the optical HR sensor on FR955 is completely useless. There are more and more reports on anomalies with the OHR and so far, no solution in any firmware updates.

Yes, Yes, France

• In your graphs, you can see it locking onto something other than your heart rate as soon as your heart rate and cadence match.

• Could you please tell me to what it could be locking?

• It has been happening more and more with my recent firmware update. Seems like every single night I'm having heart rates in the low 200s. This seems unacceptable

• I'm guessing by the way the LEDs flash, there's some sort of sampling going on, and when it is confused it is "aliasing". The closest analogy I can think of is how wheels appear to go backwards on films or video when they hit a certain rotational speed.

• Same here. An easy run is recorded as tempo and I had to walk during the first minutes to wait for the value to decrease. I know wrist measures can be affected by cold temperatures (blood flow restricted) but it was 12°C in day light.

I am on FW 17.21.

Yes, Yes, France

• Wrist based heart rate isn't anything new for Garmin, not sure why this is messing up so much. It messes up all of the training data and readiness, makes it extremely unreliable.

• Yes, OHR is now completely useless. I am sure this is a firmware bug. Unfortunately I can't verify this, as I started to use the FR955 just recently with the 15.19 firmware. Reports from other users are that this started with the version 14.13. If anybody still has the older before 14.13 firmware in their garmin connect "primaryfirmware" folder and is willing to try it (reset will be necessary) to see if the OHR works,that really would help us all. At least then we could provide a proof to Garmin that it is a serious firmware problem.