This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any comparison of screen glare between 955 Solar and non-Solar versions?

Has anyone seen any comparison of screen glare between the 955 Solar and the non-Solar versions? It seems like there were glare issues with screen in the Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, but I'm curious to know if we'll see the same with the 955. Solar for me would be a "nice to have" provided there's not a great loss of screen clarity.

• i think the one option which has been "maligned" by many on the web is the Sapphire Solar version of the Fenix 7. the Sapphire layer adds a reduction in contrast and is more reflective.

• Yeah that's part of the reason I was curious also about 955 screen, I thing it is pretty much the same as the Fenix 7 NON sapphire... I actually am a Fenix fan, never much liked the 945 for the screen small dimension and huge bazels, but... I must admit 955 is now tempting with the larger screen, and looks gorgeous in white color with black bazels... To me it's far more attractive than the previous generation and at a fair price point, after all

• I had both the solar and non-solar for comparison purposes, here's a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/wrADDjn

I tried to get a mix of conditions, under natural, artificial, and minimal lighting. Best I could do without a fancy lighting setup. I hope this helps a bit for those wondering to go Solar vs Non-Solar (if you're lucky enough to find stock).

My own thoughts, since photos are sometimes hard to convey the difference:

• I'd say side-by-side the visibility of the non-solar is definitely better, and the background is a nice black, rather than a tinge of magenta.

• At the same backlight level of 20%, the non-solar is slightly brighter.

• The solar version has slightly more reflections visible, making it a bit harder to see the watchface on off-angles, especially in lower lighting conditions.

• Clarity of text and detail seems identical to my eyes when you look close.

Only when you look directly from solar to non-solar do I think "oh yeah, this is nicer". Not that huge a difference. I'm sticking with the solar, mostly just because it's a neat feature, even though it's probably not worth the price difference for the slight battery benefits Slight smile

• Thanks! Would've been nice to see the pics... But moda are mods Slight smile

• Oh, pics aren't visible on mod-deleted Reddit posts? Let me upload them elsewhere...

EDIT: Done!

• Sorry now they loaded... Don't know what happened before, and thanks again for sharing 

• Feel free to post a link to my comment to /r/Garmin. If I do it, I bet I'll get banned Joy

• Feel free to post a link to my comment to /r/Garmin. If I do it, I bet I'll get banned

I'd do it, but I got permabanned from /r/Garmin months ago lol

The mods there are ridiculous. (The story was, someone asked for advice about a Garmin watch to buy, I answered the question and got temp-banned because apparently it's against the rules to help people pick which Garmin to buy? wtf? So then when I messaged the mod asking why I got temp banned for that, they threw a hissy and perma-banned me).

/r/GarminWatches is a far better subreddit with reasonable mods.

• Awesome comparison photos! I’m quite fond of my solar now after a couple weeks and gotten used to any slight degradation relative to my 945LTE or the 955. 

I’ve found on vacation that the solar definitely boosts battery endurance (see other threads). It will be less beneficial during my regular work days. 

• I'd fo it but I don't even have an account on Reddit (which I would think it's required for posting?). Don't really use that website, just read through from time to time.