This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any comparison of screen glare between 955 Solar and non-Solar versions?

Has anyone seen any comparison of screen glare between the 955 Solar and the non-Solar versions? It seems like there were glare issues with screen in the Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, but I'm curious to know if we'll see the same with the 955. Solar for me would be a "nice to have" provided there's not a great loss of screen clarity.

• You realize that many people (reviewers, folks in the sports business, shop owners etc) have access to more than one product, right?

• yes. i have a glass screen protector on the 955 Solar. i originally used a leftover from my 935 and is about 1mm too small but works for now until official ones are released. last night (the photo above), i tried to recenter it a little better with a newer Supershieldz (again meant for 935) and did a little better horizontally but not vertically (by choice -- to reduce weird edge issues around the Garmin label)

i actually have one more thing that might be helpful. here is a side by side of the 945LTE and 955 Solar indoors the night i got the 955. Both have screen protectors on them.

• Yeah was kind of a joke (not a very good apparently LOL)

• sorry 'bout that. In this day and age there are all kinds out there...

• working outside right now and here's an outside shot in the sun

hard to cover all use cases, but hopefully this gives a rough idea of what it's like. i'm not trying to optimize or minimize glare/reflections at all. just trying to replicate what my eyes see when i glance at my wrist.

• No issues Slight smile of course, and thanks for the further message.

You do have a point, however, I had tried to ask for a direct screen comparison side to side for the Fenix 7 different models to those famous YouTubers that publish Garmin watches reviews minutes after the official launch. No luck....

• That looks pretty good.

• Looks actually nice... In the direct comoarison with the 945 LTE it seems ever so slightly more "cloudy" and with warmer colors (also the white... Which is not the best to my taste) but overall looks pretty ok.

I know it's not the same thing but the only direct comparison I could do related to the solar panel overlay was between my former Fenix 6 base and the current Fenix 6x prosolar, and difference seemed more visible to me than in your pics.

One further highlight, though... While in daylight or under good artificial light the base looked better, with backlight on while in dim light or in the dark the solar looks MUCH crisper, warm colors help in that case, and also the black is much more black

• i think i'm in agreement with your comments:

if i were to look carefully and be picky, the non-solar 945LTE is slightly crisper in dim indoor lighting. yet, for me, the idea is that it needs to be visible from all practical angles (ie, so i can just glance rather than find the right angle to read the text). in this regard, the 955 Solar passes with flying colors. whatever extra "slight milkiness" of the 955 has, IMHO is offset by the larger fonts afforded by the 1.3" vs 1.2" screen.

i don't have any side by side pics of the two watches using the backlight, but to my eyes, the 955 Solar is slightly better overall withoutrecalling any actual details except to say that the backlight on the 955 has a slightly higher contrast than the 945LTE. i should note that with backlight, the 945LTE IMHO is already excellent. (that was the pleasant surprise when i got the 945LTE. the backlight display was a huge improvement over my 935 such that it reminded me of going from a 12 year old LCD TV to a locally dimmed LCD display or OLED display of today...the blacks were "inky" as opposed to washed out.)

• Ok thanks for the further details, I still hope I will be able to see them side by side before choosing the possible future watch (tempted by various Fenix 7 and all 955, while perfectly aware that with my use I still could go years with the Fenix 6x Smiley) but I am in any case getting the feeling that all screen versions are at least more than sufficient