This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any comparison of screen glare between 955 Solar and non-Solar versions?

Has anyone seen any comparison of screen glare between the 955 Solar and the non-Solar versions? It seems like there were glare issues with screen in the Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, but I'm curious to know if we'll see the same with the 955. Solar for me would be a "nice to have" provided there's not a great loss of screen clarity.

• That's a good indication, thanks! I did not pay attention to the public releases for the 2 watches as i sadly don't own one Disappointed i was in fact referring to the beta program that is not, as far as I understood, including the T7. Thanks again... Will think about the possibility to part myself with another 1k+ euro... Garmin pricetags, as much as I honestly love the watches, are a bit crazy... But it is what it is! 

• Hi, I'm interested in the solar edition but I knew the screen worse. When worse? Under what conditions? How much worse than the solar version?

• Is the usable size in millimeter the same for solar and non-solar version? I understand they have the same resolution 260x260 pixels but is the unused bezel smaller in the non-solar?

• The usable screen size is exactly the same on solar and non-solar, and the glass is the same size, and the plastic bezel around the outside of the glass is the same. The only difference on the non-solar is that the unused black bezel around the screen (behind the glass) is wider/thicker, to cover the portion where the solar panel would have been.

• i think this is all very subjective, but i'll share...

- i had significant concerns about this before placing my order last week. i ended up deciding, after exchanging comments with Fit Gear Hunter about the small difference (in his opinion), i decided to order the 955 Solar and if it was bothered enough by it (relative to my 945LTE), i would return it and go with the 955. i should also say my biggest concern was being able to read my watch indoors during the day at work without turning on the backlight or orienting my wrist to see it. i want to be able to quickly glance, for example while typing and not think or try hard to see the time or my HR or step count. (using Glance Pro works really well for me)

here are my subjective observations:

- indoor visibility is comparable to my 945LTE. if i stare deeply, i might say that its a little harder to read the 955 due to the extra solar layer, BUT: this, for me 53 year old eyes, if offset by larger screen. (this is all comparing the screens with no backlight)

- the backlight on the 955 produces better contrast than the 945LTE which is surprising since i thought the 945LTE was leaps and bounds ahead of the 935 i previously owned.

- outdoor performance is "different." on the plus size, the 0.1" screen size once again makes everything more easily visible, especially while running. all the numbers are just a little bit bigger for the data fields. however, what is noteworthy is the solar ring "might be" distracting for some. it acts like a "mirror ring" around the face which may or not distract one's focus on the main part of the screen. i've only had my watch for 1.5 days, but i'm getting used to it, and am pretty confident in a week or so, this will just be "normal" as my 24/7 watch/fitness tracker.

again, just my experiences so not sure if it's remotely possible for people to see it in person before deciding.  i don't like returning things and prefer to make an educated decision purchasing, but in this case, without having one in stores locally to see, i just went with it and decided to experience it firsthand. 

i'll be sticking with the Solar model, but i could easily see why some might just choose th regular version. i think i would have been satisfied with it. however, even though the solar ring is prominent, in some ways, asthetically, at least for me, it's nicer than having a broad black bezel of dead space.

• I'm really interested in this too. On the fence between solar/non solar, particularly as it relates the the viewing experience. 61 year old eyes...

• not sure what angle/situation to give you, but this is what i see when looking at my watch, sitting in my office with light coming through the window. does this help? i'm slowly getting used to the solar ring (i've only had the watch slightly less than 3 days)

full disclosure: it's a darker in the office than suggested by the photo and the screen is dimmer to my eyes. my iPhone seems to be using an HDR processing which gives better contrast than real life, but it is very readable. just not as bright (neither watch, my pants let or arm) as the picture suggests.

• Fantastic, thank you. I'm hoping someone ends up with both for a side by side. But that looks pretty good.

• Appreciate your green approach, never bought something with the intention to return it myself.

This being said... I really hope someone less considerate will order both and post some side by side pictures before returning the one he will like less Smiley

• That watch also seems to have a screen protector on, am I wrong?