This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin forerunner 955

Hello guys, so I'm thinking buying a Forerunner 945 but I also would like to wait for 955 if is coming out soon. Does anyone know when is it coming out? Thank you. 

• Every time I'm starting to miss ASmuggDill, you jump in Smile

• Agreed. The hype surrounding new product launches drives the demand and the demand drives the high price tag, just look at the Fenix for example. A year down the line it's a better product having benefit from numerous firmware iterations, and the price has fallen

• It's always weitghting someone's need and wants:

• buy a new one, risk early-release bugs and pay more. But you got the newest, shiniest watch with the newest tech on board. There is also a chance for new features.
    • wait a year or more, pay less and have a better chance that the SW is more stable.  But the release of a new watch might be imminent which means you're gonna loose out on new tech. New features are less probable.

Though, I rarely had problems with new watches and their initial Softwares. That doesn't mean I never had bugs, but most of them weren't bugs that affected everyone or weren't related to the watch itself (like the TBT problem). Many bugs actualy were introduced later on.

• 945 was launched in January 2019, not April. 

• Checking the dates well I noticed that the Fenix SW has had a big boost since the release of Enduro, which is nothing more than a 6x emptied of pro functions, filled with a bigger battery and shares the SW, at a price higher of course. Aren't they doing the same trick with the Forerunner series? Not a 955 but a 945 pro to which they will have to give new functions to justify a higher price, and then something to us too, all of course is ready for commercial launch.

• miss ASmuggDill,

I was just thinking about that guy the other day.  What a character. 

• Well, yeah of course you pay full price when buying a newly released device... that's nothing Garmin specific, that goes for all devices. Hell, imo Garmin watches are actually pretty stable price wise. Bought mine in may 2019 for 535 (that's with a 60 discount) and it now still seems to go for 550-ish. Mainly when the successor is released prices actually drop (FR935 went from 550 top 350 over 4-ish years).

And sure, Garmin has it's issues every now and then but with all devices I've owned so far there have been no dealbreakers (apart from the Fenix5, but that was a design issue).

Garmin pumps out updates often and supports devices for a long time... While communication is not always as smooth, the few times I needed support all was solved without issues in the end.

That said, if there is a 955 released and it's worth it I wouldn't doubt updating to it right away (worthwhile being smaller bezels, improved ohr, better cpu for map-related stuff, etc).

But for now the FR945 suffices just great, for 2 years already.

• Indeed! ASmugDill, always sparking a special kind of detailed discussions and lively debate.

• Would that be before or after the Fenix 7 Ultra? ;-) 

• That's a valid question. I would say 3 or 4 months after should be enough to fix all major initial issues but that's a guess. I would monitor the forum to see and, depending on the feedback, this timeframe may be adjusted