This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

245/935/945/F6: most accurate Garmin Watch for Runners?

Hello everyone, this is my first post on Garmin Forums!

I'm a runner mainly competing in long distance races (half & marathons), upgrading from an old FR220.

My main concern is GPS accuracy : ability to track distance correctly, and measure real-time pace in a relative precise manner (some GPS devices seem to handle that better than others even though a footpod may also be considered). Not necessarily interested in firsbeat metrics. Music would be a nice to have though ;)

I’ve went through a lot of reviews, forum threads + conducted my own research on Strava (looking at tracked distance on recent Marathons & Half-Marathons).
So far my choice narrows down to the following devices:

- FR 235: by far most used device on Strava on long distance races and distance tracked seem simply excellent. Device is fairly old and may soon reach End-of-Support but is that an issue?
- FR 935: 2nd most used watch right behind FR235, often praised for its accuracy on reviews + forum threads. 
- FR 945: struggled at launch but latest firmware updates seemed to correct many issues w/ GLONASS. 
- FR 245: same as FR945
- Fenix 6 Series: reviews do not praise its GPS accuracy yet a lot of people report excellent real-time pace tracking with firmware updates. Couldn't find many F6 users on Strava, distance tracked seemed very good (about 300m off on average on marathons) but the sample was very small. 

I've been undecided for a while and would be happy to hear your feedbacks. 
Is there a general consensus on the most accurate device?

Thanks!

• When it comes to precise distance measurements and good instant pace the only viable solution is a Stryd footpod.

GPS will never deliver reasonably precise instant pace. 

• yes, Stryd footpod and you are happy, had Fenix 5 before and also my Fr945, the GPS isn't really good, if you run with pace target.

With Stryd you can use Power Targets (Zones)for running, so it is much easier, no jumping arround like watch GPS, anyway, you can disable GPS and use completly Stryd instead.

the guys @Stryd a very competent and you can ask everything in their forum and you get best support there by Stryd himself, they answer really every question of customers:

http://club.stryd.com/

it's not public, you have to register there!

• Thanks, indeed no GPS will ever come close to a foodpod for instant pace and I'm absolutely considering it, as stated in the post.
    Still leaves the question open as to which device I should get. All of them are compatible w/ Stryd.

•   This is how my 945 tracked my run last night. Even numbered laps 4 to 18 inclusive started manually on the white line. If anything I think my old 735xt was more accurate. 

• From your roughly described requirements I would say 245 Music is for you.

• Buy STRYD, use it for distance and pace. Watch doesn't matter that much. I use 945 + Stryd.

• I’d go with the 245(cheapest by far too). Remember now with pace pro it’s a huge advantage compared to before. I’ve the 245. I did a 10K on a certified course and got 10.08K. Good enough for me. I had pace pro set with my goal time and was very useful. 

• Interesting feedback. I would be tempted to rule out 935 (due to cracking HR sensors), & the F6 + 945 (overkill, as I mostly run and will be wearing a regular watch on a daily basis). This would leave the 235 & the 245M.
    Afaik the FR 235 has always been praised for its accuracy and durability. Is there any other reason as to why this is currently the most used device on marathons according to Strava? 

• Is there any other reason as to why this is currently the most used device on marathons according to Strava? 

It's been around much longer and more units sold.  It's solid, so many would see no reason to go with something else.  I've had the 235, 935 and 945 all purchased at their release date. In my opinion the 935 worked best. 

• Both the 235 & 935 get a lot of love from their owners.
    They're obviously both excellent & reliable products that do the job very well. 
    May I ask you if you happen to have been concerned by the OHR sensor cracking issues on the FR935 ? These issues seem to have been widespread and concern almost every 935 owner, regardless of the purchase date.