This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

245/935/945/F6: most accurate Garmin Watch for Runners?

Hello everyone, this is my first post on Garmin Forums!

I'm a runner mainly competing in long distance races (half & marathons), upgrading from an old FR220.

My main concern is GPS accuracy : ability to track distance correctly, and measure real-time pace in a relative precise manner (some GPS devices seem to handle that better than others even though a footpod may also be considered). Not necessarily interested in firsbeat metrics. Music would be a nice to have though ;)

I’ve went through a lot of reviews, forum threads + conducted my own research on Strava (looking at tracked distance on recent Marathons & Half-Marathons).
So far my choice narrows down to the following devices:

- FR 235: by far most used device on Strava on long distance races and distance tracked seem simply excellent. Device is fairly old and may soon reach End-of-Support but is that an issue?
- FR 935: 2nd most used watch right behind FR235, often praised for its accuracy on reviews + forum threads. 
- FR 945: struggled at launch but latest firmware updates seemed to correct many issues w/ GLONASS. 
- FR 245: same as FR945
- Fenix 6 Series: reviews do not praise its GPS accuracy yet a lot of people report excellent real-time pace tracking with firmware updates. Couldn't find many F6 users on Strava, distance tracked seemed very good (about 300m off on average on marathons) but the sample was very small. 

I've been undecided for a while and would be happy to hear your feedbacks. 
Is there a general consensus on the most accurate device?

Thanks!

• May I ask you if you happen to have been concerned by the OHR sensor cracking issues on the FR935 ? These issues seem to have been widespread and concern almost every 935 owner, regardless of the purchase date. 

Just my two cents worth and nothing more. Relaxed  When the 235 came out, it had plenty of issues and was a nightmare.  I referred to it as the Failure 235.  After firmware updates, it became a great watch.  I don't contest that there have been cracked oHRM sensors.  I also don't believe it's as widespread of a problem as one may think when reading these forums.  The forums are a place where people will post their issues.  No one's going to start a thread saying "my oHRM sensor is fine", so it may appear to be more widespread than it actually is.  I currently use my 945 as my primary device and my 935 as a back-up and my watch I wear while at work.  I put a beating on my watches while working, so I wear the 935 only because it's older than my 945.  I have never experienced a cracked oHRM sensor on any of my Garmin watches after years of 24/7 use.

• +1 on the 935 cracked HRM sensor probably not as widespread as it seems.  I had mine for almost two years and wore it 24/7 with no problems at all from a hardware perspective.  There were a couple iffy firmware releases if I remember right (shocker), but otherwise the watch was solid.  No cracked HRM or barometer issues (the other complaint I saw regularly on the forums).

• 1 on the 935 cracked HRM sensor probably not as widespread as it seems.

I would also add that it's been suggested that harsh soaps, solvents, petroleum products, lotions and insect repellents may soften or make the resin covering the sensor brittle and more susceptible to cracking.  I don't know if there's any merit to these claims, but I find it plausible, so I take care to avoid them.

• I'm currently wearing my over two years old 935 as I type this as I wait for my now 3rd 945 replacement (out today for delivery no less). I wore it under the same conditions. Even the watch band hasn't quit, and the bezel looks near exact to when it purchased. 

The 935 is the best watch I have ever owned from Garmin.

• While not 'normal', or at least something you would expect from a ($400!) Sport watch, that would make sense indeed. 

• Why is that? Are you still using it?

• My 935 had excellent GPS, and never any problem with HR sensor cracking. I have read that the OHR tracking on the 235 is not so accurate, but if that's not something you're worried about then it should be a good enough choice and certainly a great price I would think.

• Those items can definitely damage the barometer sensor if they enter the port.  Just not sure about the resin, but I'll stay on the side of caution.  It may very well be why the cracked sensor or barometer problems ericgottieb pointed out are two of the biggest issues posted.  Another note about the barometer.  The 235 doesn't have one and altitude comes from your GPS and you can use elevation corrections that are based off professional surveys.  Both the 935 and 945 have a barometric altimeter.  Many are confused and frustrated how this actually works with pressure/temperature changes and think they may have a faulty watch.  The 945 has added calibration using DEM which is a great step up.  Not sure if this is important to you, but thought I'd through it out anyway.

• When it comes to precise distance measurements and good instant pace the only viable solution is a Stryd footpod.

GPS will never deliver reasonably precise instant pace. 

Thumbsupon the footpod for distance and pace.  I also use a Stryd.

• 935's MediaTek's GPS chip is superior to Sony's GPS chip that is found in 945 and F6.