This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OHR incorrect on the widget when doing indoor Bike

Hi, 

I don't know if this was something that garmin know, but i think that's a BUG. 

Yesterday i was zwifting, using a Scosche Rhythm+, on my right pulse connected to the PC as i always do. On my left arm, i had the Garmin 945, without recording the activity, but showing the HR widget.

On the Zwift i was doing about 120HR, the watch on the widget show about 80...

When i start recording the activity on the watch (using the OHR, the Scosche Rhythm+ was not paired to the watch), the watch HR start reading correctly and showing values on par with the Schoshe. 

Why is this happening, what is the difference on the watch OHR, from outside activity to inside, that don't allow a correct reading when not recording an activity?

Former Member is this a know bug? Is there something i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

• Garmin OHR transmission is broken. This is important feautre we all need. I can provide activity files for you if necessary.

Please fix it as this is really embarrasing.

• The problem is not tied to broadcasting I think: my HR is off when cycling outside of activity every single time, without broadcasting HR.

• My HR is generally ok when cycling if watch records the activity. When transmits only HR it doesn't make any sense, so in my case its transmission only.

• today i made indoor session and my hrm tri just diconnected. battery is one day old(new one duracell). when i run outdoors there no problems with hrm tri. when i do indoor cycling ny edge 530 cannto find hrm tri. today it disconnected, i took off bettery for 5 minutes, then installed it again and HR was 240-250, then it fast dropped and my 945 lost connection with hrm tri. i cannot normally train. i always have to think if every sensor works ok

• The OHR is brighter and constantly on (versus strobing) when recording an activity, as compared with 24/7 monitoring - take your watch off and observe this for yourself if you want to. This significantly improves  HR accuracy, but at the expense of battery life. It's not a huge battery drain for a 1 hour workout, but it would be if you ran it at the same intensity for the other 23 hours of the day.

If you want to make a fair comparison to the Sosche, record it as an activity.

• I have piles of activities with Edge 530 + OH1 recording bike activity, 945 on wrist mostly not noticing HR bump, not counting intensity minutes. It's fine when 945 is recording activity. It's probably about saving the battery, but implemented poorly, the software should recognize activity and switch the WHR sensor to accuracy mode like during activities.

It's also noticed in " 945 bug tracker thread" here

Wasn't yet in mood to file a support ticket - that probably implicates usual push-back - of resetting the device, potentially swapping out, etc.

If you folks have some support ticket numbers I could refer to them to avoid pushing back myself being the only one out here affected.

• You're more than welcome to cite my reference number for support on this issue: 14799421K0

I did initially get a response from a tech at Garmin called James though it's been total radio silence since 9th September (despite my occasional prodding in the meantime)...

At least it seems more and more people are noticing it now - it's definitely a significant issue because it totally undermines all of the fitness tracking functionality and associated metrics.

• Garmin please let us know is you are working to fix this one. Currently one of most the important functionalities is broken.

• It's not broken - just record it as an activity.

• If you’re happy with the fact that the 945 HR sensor is effectively useless unless the watch is recording an activity then that’s great, we’re all really pleased for you.

Those of us who expect what is an expensive product to work as advertised, that is to provide meaningful analysis and metrics based on reliable data, will keep pushing for this to be fixed.